Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Installed needle and seat today- now problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You replaced the needle and seat. Did you set the float hieght?

Old 05-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes, by the needle and seat do you mean the needle that sits in the slide with the little clip that sits on the middle notch of the needle for various settings? yes i replaced that. also, i have no idea how to adjust float height lol or what spec is on that.....thank you for your reply!

Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also the needle they r referrimg to is not the needle that is in seat under float. They are referring to needle that that is under cap that has big spring n runs thru thr rubber boot. At end of needle there r 5 notches n a clip that can b moved to any notch

Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by roscoe1970
Also the needle they r referrimg to is not the needle that is in seat under float. They are referring to needle that that is under cap that has big spring n runs thru thr rubber boot. At end of needle there r 5 notches n a clip that can b moved to any notch
Yes i know. thats the needle that i was talking about. im just trying to figure out how to adjust the float height and what spec is on float height and how the float height is even measured

Old 05-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For float height, you flip the carb upside down and measure from the bowl lip to the ridge on the float, factory spec is 13mm, that should get you set up correctly.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 95wolv
For float height, you flip the carb upside down and measure from the bowl lip to the ridge on the float, factory spec is 13mm, that should get you set up correctly.
Ok awesome, i'll have to take a look at that. how do you adjust it? does it sound like that could be my problem?

Old 05-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To adjust, you bend the tang that the needle rides on, bending it "in" towards the seat will make the float sit lower in the bowl, lowering the fuel level, bending it "out" will make the float sit higher in the bowl, allowing it to carry the proper fuel level, if it is too low, when you punch it, it could be sucking air, and bogging out. Remember, the carb is upside down, so the float will measure higher than 13mm , but actually be too low, when you flip it over. Same with too high, it will measure less than 13 mm, and cause the level in the bowl to be too high, which may flood our the motor, or cause fuel to run out the overflow tube that runs down the hose from the carb bowl. I know that sounds confusing, but just trying to explain how that all works.
If you are getting a good shot from the accelerator pump, and haven't changed jetting, needle jet position, or added any performanc parts, like exhaust or intake mods, then a low bowl leve could cause your problems, hopefully this will get you running like it should.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 95wolv
To adjust, you bend the tang that the needle rides on, bending it "in" towards the seat will make the float sit lower in the bowl, lowering the fuel level, bending it "out" will make the float sit higher in the bowl, allowing it to carry the proper fuel level, if it is too low, when you punch it, it could be sucking air, and bogging out. Remember, the carb is upside down, so the float will measure higher than 13mm , but actually be too low, when you flip it over. Same with too high, it will measure less than 13 mm, and cause the level in the bowl to be too high, which may flood our the motor, or cause fuel to run out the overflow tube that runs down the hose from the carb bowl. I know that sounds confusing, but just trying to explain how that all works.
If you are getting a good shot from the accelerator pump, and haven't changed jetting, needle jet position, or added any performanc parts, like exhaust or intake mods, then a low bowl leve could cause your problems, hopefully this will get you running like it should.
All stock. only bought a stock carb re-build kit. I'll take a look at that, thank you!!!!!!!!!