Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Adjusting jet/needle position in Kodiak carb???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting jet/needle position in Kodiak carb???

I got a Moose carb rebuild kit for my '01 Kodiak carb because we left the fuel petcock open and got it all gummed up.

I don't have much experience with carbs. . .I just understand the basic theory behind their operation, so. . .

Which jets/needles need to be set in a specific position vs. screwed all the way in? I don't know if they are all supposed to be screwed all the way in or if their are a couple that are supposed to be throttled?

Which clip detent is the jet needle set in stock?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

air fuel screw should be turned out bout 2 2 1/4 turns clip position i beleive is in the 3rd clip

Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by EPI Shawn
air fuel screw should be turned out bout 2 2 1/4 turns clip position i beleive is in the 3rd clip
Third clip from the top or third clip from the bottom?

Thanks for helping out!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

I re-installed the carb this afternoon and put fresh gas in the tank. . .quad fired right up on the third pull of the recoil starter (need a new battery, my old one won't hold a charge and sits around 8.9V).

It's idling a little fast (I think adjusting the air fuel screw will fix this right?) and it's still bogging down when I push the throttle lever, but I didn't have the seat or tank cover back on and almost completely covering the air intake with my hand allowed me to be able to rev the quad through the entire RPM range (I think that means it's running lean right?) with just a bit of popping at the high end. . .so I think I need to play with the jet needle clip setting some.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

OK, I think I may have been chasing my own tail on this one. . .

. . .I'vew adjusted the pilot screw here, there, and everywhere (as well as the jet needle clip position) trying to

1) Get the quad to idle correctly (currently idling WAY too high and adjusting the idle speed screw had no effect) and

2) Get some mid-range. . .everytime I pushed on the throttle lever the quad would bog and want to die. Covering the air intake duct with my hand and restricting the air flow to the engine by probably 90% seemed to be the only way the quad would rev.

As I was going through the old stock carb parts I noticed the O-ring and washer on the pilot screw. . .guess what, I never put the O-ring or washer on the pilot screw. So I'm guessing that air was getting past the pilot screw which is why the quad was idling so high and running lean in the mid-range.

What do you guys think. . .would forgetting the O-ring allow enough air by the pilot screw to cause this kind of a problem?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Got it all figured out. . .replacing the missing O-ring and washer for the pilot screw worked, but that wasn't the only problem. . .

. . .turns out I had the starting jet and the main jet swapped!!!

They look exactly alike with the exception of the size of the orifice. . .and since they aren't labeled with the size if you don't take the time to look at the orifice closely it is extremely easy to get them mixed up. So the quad was starting extremely easy (even without being choked) because it was getting a LOT more fuel than it should have been and then was bogging in the mid-range because it wasn't getting anywhere near enough fuel.

I've got the pilot screw set at 2 1/4 turns out from the soft seat and the jet needle set on the middle position.

I felt like a dummy once I figured out what the problem(s) were, but I feel great fixing my own problem instead of spending $75-$90/hr on shop labor!

Old 03-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Which is which

Originally Posted by atomicjoe23
Got it all figured out. . .replacing the missing O-ring and washer for the pilot screw worked, but that wasn't the only problem. . .

They look exactly alike with the exception of the size of the orifice. . .and since they aren't labeled with the size if you don't take the time to look at the orifice closely it is extremely easy to get them mixed up. So the quad was starting extremely easy (even without being choked) because it was getting a LOT more fuel than it should have been and then was bogging in the mid-range because it wasn't getting anywhere near enough fuel.

I've got the pilot screw set at 2 1/4 turns out from the soft seat and the jet needle set on the middle position.

I felt like a dummy once I figured out what the problem(s) were, but I feel great fixing my own problem instead of spending $75-$90/hr on shop labor!

Joe,

Do you remember which jet had the bigger orifice? I'm running into the same issue and wonder if I've swapped mine.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atomicjoe23

Good job! ....you basically figured it out yourself....and learned a bunch! That's awesome !

Old 03-14-2016, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by razman_07
Joe,

Do you remember which jet had the bigger orifice? I'm running into the same issue and wonder if I've swapped mine.
Larger orifice is the main jet....