Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Toomey Hush kit....what's this thing for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

? What is it, how does it work, what is it supposed to do? etc...I see this stuff and have no idea what it can be useful to.

Old 03-21-2001, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

Well. You put the Hush kit on the end of your Toomey T-5 pipes to quieten it from 99 decibels to 87 decibels. I guess there are some places to ride that your 4 wheeler can only be so loud.

Charles

Old 03-22-2001, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

It keeps your riding areas OPEN!

Recently the Oregon Dunes was under heavy attack and possible closure due to noise. It was either get the noise down or close it! We are now required to be below 93db or big $$ ticket or worse the closure of whole dunes. Considering most stock quads are 85 to 88db... 93db does give us some abilities to use aftermarket pipe.. but the owners of the pipes and the pipe makers need to keep them quite by repacking and using good designs.

-Brad D-

-Brad D-

Old 03-22-2001, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I put it on mine because I'm the newest person in my neighborhood and i didn't want to shake anyone out of bed with the regular T5's. It does take the high pitched "ping" out of the exhaust and it is supposed to give a little [very little] extra top end. All it really does is tie the 2 ends together and redirect the exhaust down. I think it detracts from the appearance but it keeps it quiet. All in all it was worth it to me.

Old 03-22-2001, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Zorro, dataspng said it best.. It keeps riding areas open. There are a lot of people who don't enjoy the sound of a piped 2 stroke the way we do. Let's not even get into piped 4 strokes, most of those are stupidly loud. I plan on buying the hush kit before I head out to Oregon this summer. I figure $129 dollars is money well spent if keeps my neighbors from hating me any more than they do, keeps our riding areas open and me from getting a noise ticket.

Old 03-22-2001, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Holyman, does the Hush kit get in the way of the taillight? It looks like it does. Also, does it really make as much difference as Toomey says it does???

Old 03-22-2001, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

OK. So it's a silencer? Where do you attach it? to the headpipe like a standard silencer or at the end of the Toomey silencer?
How does it work(why isn't it called super silencer?)...and does it sound nice?(notice nice, not loud).

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2001, 05:39 PM
Range Rover

The thing with the hush kit that I just don't get is that it isn't an approved spark arrester! The places that you'll want to use a quiet exhaust system are those places that usually require spark arresters so what's the point to it? I liked the idea and was going to get it until I called and they told me it wasn't an approved arrester. How dumb is that!?!?

Old 03-22-2001, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Wyo...I have a DG grab bar that already had the light attached with zip ties. So i took 2 self drilling stainless steel screws and screwed the light bracket to the bottom of the grab bar. Works for me. The wires are just long enough to do this without adding on.
Zorro...The Hush Kit repaces the 2 short tubes sticking out of the back of the silencers [they are attached by to "E" rings] with 2 long turn 90 bends that point toward the center and then the Hush can goes between the 2 new bends you put in. The can has a large discharge at the bottom that points toward the bottom [ground]. It does take out the high pitched "ping" [the best way I can find to describe it] that seems to carry for miles. The rest of it sounds just as good but quieter. It is about as loud as my friends stock Warrior. In my book that's pretty good for a twin 2 stroke w/Toomey's. As far as the top end claims go, I couldn't tell you. They have been honest about the rest I'll trust 'em on the claim you get more top out of it.
All in all I think the Toomey pipes are a well built product that can be used in widely varying circumstances.
If anyone wants pics, email me at runnvs1@peoplepc.com