Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2008 Wolverine Rear Arm/Driveshaft Boot Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Wolverine Rear Arm/Driveshaft Boot Leaking

Hi all. I've got myself a little problem here. My 2008 Wolverine is leaking oil from the boot that covers the drive shaft where it attaches to the bottom of the crankcase and the rear arm. I'm not sure if it is motor oil or gear oil as I have not gotten a chance to see if either is draining. So my first question would be, do any of you know if it's engine related or rear diff related? Secondly, what would be the general process to replace whatever seal is leaking?

The oil is coming from the boot and hose clamp area that make up number 8 and number 10 on this diagram.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2016, 03:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Gear oil smells different. I've never done a seal on these later Yams.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by NPCarling26
Hi all. I've got myself a little problem here. My 2008 Wolverine is leaking oil from the boot that covers the drive shaft where it attaches to the bottom of the crankcase and the rear arm. I'm not sure if it is motor oil or gear oil as I have not gotten a chance to see if either is draining. So my first question would be, do any of you know if it's engine related or rear diff related? Secondly, what would be the general process to replace whatever seal is leaking?

The oil is coming from the boot and hose clamp area that make up number 8 and number 10 on this diagram.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
More than likely the front oil seal is leaking. When I say front, I mean where shaft enters into the transmission. May seem like a rough job, but it isn't. But you do have to unbolt everything and slide the housing out....

Old 04-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Looks like it's time for me to dig in and just take the rear axle off and see what I can see.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I finally got to tearing it down completely today. Took the rear axle right off.

There was fluid leaking out of the differential at the front where it connects to the arm. I'm assuming that should not be the case?

So assuming it should not be leaking there, then am I correct in saying that o-ring #11 and oil seal #12 from this image should be replaced, and that should hopefully solve my problem?

Lastly, there was some kind of caulking or sealant where the diff met the rear arm that was worn out. I'm assuming it's to help keep a seal and that I should replace it. Anyone happen to know what that might be?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:36 AM
Pro Rider

Well, frankly, I thought the leak would be from the engine side . For it to leak "where it appears to be leaking" I'm thinking that at one point the diff may have gotten full of water ( best guess ) as it looks like some rusty "gook" coming out of it, but yes, replace the seals you mentioned and when you re-attach the two castings ( item #2 to engine ), use Yamabond or a quality Permatex brand sealant to seal the two parts together. Of course, thats after a thorough cleaning. Keep us posted..

Old 06-04-2023, 08:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having the same problem, what did you do to fix the problem?

Old 06-05-2023, 03:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I've done far more Hondas than Yams, but it is difficult to know for certain where the oil is coming from once the prop shaft is out of the diff nose, as it will start leaking there, even if it wasn't before. That is why my reply was "Gear oil smells different" and you can check that once the boot 8 is slackened off. If it is the diff, then only the diff assembly needs to come off, then you can pry the old seal out and fit a new one.