Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need advice on grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on buying a new quad. the quad I will purchase will be the 2002 grizzly. If anyone has any information about the grizzly, , what is the top speed? how is the automatic tranny? how is the rear independant suspension?

Old 09-27-2001, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

Go for it, its the king utility quad. The top speed was like 60 mph (some guys may have squeezed more than that out), plenty fast for utility. Clutch is smooth and no noise. IRS, well lets just say that without IRS, it wouldn't have been the king quad. This thing rides so smooth and go places I couldn't believe.

After riding a 4x4 quad with IRS, all 4x4 must have the IRS. To me, the IRS is more important than the differential lock which is also nice. Some one did some homework with the new Grizz.

Old 09-28-2001, 02:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Excellent all the way around. Top speed on level pavement with stock everything was 60mph on a GPS. Speedometer said 65.

Old 09-29-2001, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

BEAUTIFUL THANK YOU BOTH

Old 09-29-2001, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

I just picked up my Silver Grizz... I'm not sure if you would like this color or not, but do your self a favor and please aleast take look at a Silver one before you drop that $7000. I've been a big fan of the 02' Grizz since it's come out, but this color on this quad is the best looking utility made, period! There's other much more important reasons too buy a Grizz as I'm sure you are aware of from visiting this and other forums, I promise you, buy a Grizz and you won't look back...handling, ride, power, finish and just overall appearance. One more thing, I'm not brand loyal, but Yamaha makes a good product!!!

Tony

Old 09-30-2001, 06:39 PM
Range Rover

My friend has a silver Grizz and its beautiful. Looks too good for off road. Anyway, we noticed that sides of the fenders can get scratched easily when you rub up agaist brushes and tree limbs because the silver color is painted on like the cars with plastic bumpers/fenders.

Most of the light scratches came off with good wax/cleaner but, just a tip, if I had one, I would get some clear plastic sheets with adhesive and cut out a pattern to go over the fender edges and other areas that are more likely to get scratched. This way you will protect the finish and you can always remove and replace the protector sheets.

Another friend got the camo humter edition. Boy does that look good too. I think all colors look good. Like you said, it's that cool styling. Keep on Grizzlin'.

Old 09-30-2001, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

RapTech,
I bought some clear plastic laminate just for that purpose. I'll get to it this week or next, it's going to be tricky but it has to be done. There's a company called Clear Guard Protection Systems (clear-guard.com) that make these same plastics custom fitted to your specific quad. However they haven't made it foor the 660 Grizz yet. When it's done it will cover the high wear areas... this will be great for any color quad!
By the way, black "is" the color of the plastic under the Silver...found out today!!! Grey would just have made more sense...
One note about the handling, this is just my opinion, when you get used to the IRS, you can throw this big boy around like a solid axle bike

Tony

Old 10-01-2001, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

Tony, I asked Yamaha about the base plastic on the silver grizz and they said that the material they used for fenders that can be painted and offer flexibility like the auto plastic is black (like you said)and although they agreed that lighter color or gray base would have been ideal, currently that material is not available other than in black.

I agree with what you said about the clear protector, it would benefit all colors. I'll look into the information you've given me - thanks and you're right, that silver is beautiful.

Yamaha offers a touch up paint through ColorRite.com but it can get spendy. For me, I would probably go to auto store and buy the touch up close enough to match so I can cover up the deep scratches.

Keep me posted on the clear protector for Grizz.

Old 10-02-2001, 08:35 PM
Range Rover

I hate to say it but... ...YOU ALL SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF GIRLS!!! Just ride the thing, that's what they're for.