Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Suggestions for Tires/upgrades on a '02 660 Grizz

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm in a quandry about which tires, and tire sizes to upgrade my 660 Grizz. I do mostly mountain trails, and steep climbing, although I never pass up a mud bog when I come across them. Any suggestions on the type of Tire and size? I looked at another poster's pictures which he had on 27X9.5X12 Front and 27X12X12 Rear Triclaws, and they looked awesome for mudding, but I'm not sure how well they'll do climbing. Lastly, what kind of effect will it have on a stock 660 Grizz going to oversize tires compared to the dumlops that came with it?

Any mod suggestions for the grizz would also be appreciated

I look forward to any feedback,

SilverBear

Old 11-15-2001, 03:08 AM
Trailblazer

my two cents: I have also been asking the same tire question, and the best result is either the 589 m/s tire or the 589 m/t. I have posted this question a few times and that, along with the tri,bi claws, are what people that have written back have suggested. I am going with the 27x9x12 in the front and 27x11x12 in the rear. for mods most i have done is awesome rack extensions, and basket from cabella's

Old 11-15-2001, 05:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You will lose some of your quickness, but the top end will remain. Speedometer will read a lot lower too, but thats not a problem if you can keep in mind why its doing it. Low range is needed for climbing with these tires. High doesn't pull hills good at all in technical situations. Must be something with the way the auto tranny works, cause its sure not the engines fault. Nevertheless, you can still smoke any stock tired quad other than the other 650+ quads and scramblers with it. I absolutely buried a Rubicon one night, even after letting him get the jump. Again, if a 400 explorer or 500 scrambler beats you in a drag, you can blame it on your tires and wait to race again with the stockers.

If you have a set of aftermarket wheels on, the offset from them and the wide rear 12" Claws make it extremely stable, however it doesn't fit between trees near as easily.

As far as traction, its pretty damn good. Claws are known to dig in loose dirt, but they also catch stuff a lot better when the conditions are wet. Think of which tire would be better in sand, and then you see what I'm talking about there.

I just put my claws back on. I keep both sets mounted at all times (2 sets of rims). One thing though, I had to bore the holes out on my ITP's a bit with a drill because they were too tight, and it was hell getting them off the bike. Had to knock out the studs the last time.

If I could have one set of large tires, they would be claws. Best mud tire there is for also having good all around capabilities. When my stockers run dry, I probably will get Bear Claws or something to replace them with.

Old 11-15-2001, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Woods and Mud guys are from Venus, Desert and Mountain guys are from Mars. Douglas Wheels and Spidertrax tires (stock rear tires in front) 25"x12.5"x12" make this baby really handle, powerslide, keep the rubber side down. You Venus Grizzlys may use the 660 power in the mud, but I use it for speed, and that stock narrow setup is rollover city out here in Mars. Raising it up on taller tires would make it worse. Spidertrax are supposed to be pretty good in mud, I wouldn't know.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2001, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Showar94,

Thanks for the reply,

So you are going to go with the 589's? Let me know what you think of them.

SilverBear

Old 11-15-2001, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,

Thanks for a great post. I appreciate everybody's comments! There's just no better feedback than from people who have actually "been there-done that-with those". It's 'bout impossible to get a straight answer out of a dealer, so I thanks alot guys. I'm leaning towards the claws. So they are acceptable for hill climbing/trail blazing?

Thanks,

SilverBear

P.S. - Great Pics Andy..that the other awesome thing about these forums is when riders have pictures.

Old 11-15-2001, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

SilverBear, I've been asking the same questions and here's what I came up with:
-I've got the 25" claws on my polaris, and they are awsome in mud. They are also good at hillclimbing, rocks, hardpack, snow - there isn't much they can't do except powerslide corners. There is some trade-off in harder slow speed steering and vibration on hardpack.
-Because of the above-mentioned trade-offs, I'd consider the Goodyear Mudrunners. They are said to be smoother and easy steering. Magazine shootouts have rated them excellent in mud, even though the tread doesn't look as aggressive. The feedback I hear from other riders is good.
-The Griz already has great ground clearance, but is said (by some)to be a little top heavy. So I'd stick with 25" or 26" and give up some extra clearance for stability. If you're strictly mud bogging the 27s and 28s may be ok, but for those of us who do steep mountain trails stability is important too. When I put the wider claws on my Polaris and stuck with the stock 25" height, the gain in stability is very noticable.
-If you're really set on taller tires, consider wheel spacers to gain back stability

Just my 2 (or 3) cents worth. Hope it helps.

Old 11-15-2001, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

YukonRon~

>-I've got the 25" claws on my polaris, and they are awsome in mud. They are also good at >hillclimbing, rocks, hardpack, snow - there isn't much they can't do except powerslide corners.
>-Because of the above-mentioned trade-offs, I'd consider the Goodyear Mudrunners. They are said >to be smoother and easy steering. Magazine shootouts have rated them excellent in mud, even

I'll certainly take a look at the Goodyears. My Broher in Laws Polaris 700 came with a set of unbelievable goodyears on the rear. I've been pretty impressed with them.

>-The Griz already has great ground clearance, but is said (by some)to be a little top heavy. So >I'd stick with 25" or 26" and give up some extra clearance for stability.

Yes...I'd have to agree with that feeling. I attributed it to the height she already comes with, coupled with the fact they kept the Grizz fairly narrow. I noticed it sidehilling, when my rear was squeazin my seat a little tighter then normal-if you know what I mean. Thats when I started thinking about wider tires initially.

>Just my 2 (or 3) cents worth. Hope it helps.

Excellent advise...thanks so much. That's what I'm looking for-experience.

Best Regards,

SilverBear

Old 11-15-2001, 07:30 PM
Range Rover

This looks like a good topic to ask this in. Has anyone tried 26x10-12 tires on there factory Grizz rims front and rear? Does it turn alright? What about turning clearance? I want to go with the new ITP CS series wheels and was told they won't be available until January. So I am thinking about buying Mudzilla 26's and using my factory wheels for now.

Old 11-17-2001, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

after reading yukon ron's post i am considering a tire less than 27". i hope the 589's come in those sizes.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Tires/upgrades on a '02 660 Grizz