Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who runs a twist Throttle??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who runs a twist Throttle??

Looks like I'm a girl. According to KingRaptor.

Dunescreaminmama, you can take mascmans advise but I wouldn't throw the thumbthrottle in the trash just yet.

I bought and installed a twist throttle for my Raptor. My first time useing it I was rideing in the tight woods terrain of the Southern California mountains above San Bernardino. What a scary experience to say the least. When control is an issue like the tight woods a twist throttle was not for me. The twist just doesn't give the support since it's movable that the thumb does. You feel every bump in the road. I couldn't go anywhere near as fast as with the thumb.

My brother has a twist on his DS and when I ride it in the dunes it works well so thats why I tried it on my Rappy.

Went to Pismo the next weekend and gave the twist another try. Don't know if it's the quick throttle response of the Rappy compared to the DS or what but, I wasn't comfortable out in the dunes either. Rough sand, bumps and jumps weren't as fun as with a thumb throttle. Drag racing is the only place I felt comfortable useing the twist but I'm faster dragging while useing the thumbthrottle.

To each his own but for me the thumb provides a much better rideing experience than a twist.

PS. I grew up rideing motorcycles all my life, this Raptor is the first and only quad I've ever owned. I'm 40 years old.

Old 10-16-2002, 11:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ive got one. Took aqhile to get used to, but once you do, I wont ever go back....

Roostking...

Old 10-17-2002, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

I believe that 87 and 88 had single cable, then 89 to 93 had dual cables into the carb, and then back to single cable till present. If you already have the single cable then I wouldn't buy another carb unless it was an upgrade. Just make sure you get the right kit. The dual cable model costs less then the single cable. The dual cable kit has a short cable to the junction and stock cables into the carb. Single cable kits come with a new cable.
Does that sound confusing? Just make sure you get the right kit!

I too prefer the twist and ordered it the same day I bought my quad. I can understand how some don't like it...it's all in what you like!

Old 10-17-2002, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Mascman, its not to confusing I know exactly what your talking about. I still have the 90 carb with the dual cable, but i like the single cable carb, its one less cable. So I should be able to get a twist for a new Warrior then. Cool , L8tr