1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Yamoto 150cc Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamoto 150cc Review

Has anyone had problems starting the Yamoto 150 in the cold weather? It seems like it doesn't want to start now and I can't find a choke anywhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:05 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: davepctech
Has anyone had problems starting the Yamoto 150 in the cold weather? It seems like it doesn't want to start now and I can't find a choke anywhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Out here in Calif. I have not had any cold weather yet, so I dont know how it will do under those circumstances. The choke is electric and automatic.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick response...

A couple more questions...

Does the 110 brush guard fit on the 150? I like the looks of the 150 but if you do a lot of trail riding you'll soon notice it gets caught on rocks, logs etc. I was thinking about cutting off the bottom lip.

Has anyone come up with a rear shock replacement that doesn't require a lot of fabrication? I put the LT160 shocks on the front and flipped the wheels which helped a lot but I'm still searching for a rear shock replacement.

Lastly, I found rear wheel spacers on EBAY. Has anyone tried those?

Old 11-15-2004, 01:01 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I dont know about the 110 brush guard. As for a rear shock upgrade I spent alot of time on ebay looking for a better rear shock. I couild not find anything that short which led me to modifying my wifes quad. That and I had a old cr80 shock laying around.
As for the wheel spacer's I made a set myself 1 1/2" per side in front and 1" per side rear. After doing this the stock front shock's are much softer. Also seem's like a bigger quad now.How much more travel did you get out of the lt160 shock's?? Is there any appreciable damping in the lt160 shock's??

Old 11-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

The LT160 shocks give you about an inch more travel and the diameter of the spring is greater also. They are a direct fit. I found a set on EBAY for $15.

Does anyone know what changes Patriot is making to the quad? I heard they bought out Yamoto and were going to raise the price and make some changes. I was thinking about buying another one. I wouldn't mind the price increase if they make some improvements.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: davepctech
The LT160 shocks give you about an inch more travel and the diameter of the spring is greater also. They are a direct fit. I found a set on EBAY for $15.

Does anyone know what changes Patriot is making to the quad? I heard they bought out Yamoto and were going to raise the price and make some changes. I was thinking about buying another one. I wouldn't mind the price increase if they make some improvements.
No specifics yet, that I can find. Rumors are that they will loctite them, upgrade some suspension components, and get a better head design. (I suspect that means shave the head a hair and re-pipe and jet the bike to get better power)

But, so far all rumor.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update on my sons Tomohawk 150. This weekend the bolts holding the sprocket to the rear axle sheared off. All 3 of them??? Weakass bolts, the quad doesn't produce enough horsepower to do this. Also, I am developing a problem with the quad wanting to start. The problem is electrical, right behind the starter button is 2 wires that connect to the starter/lights/brake house control on the handlebars. Where they connect is either getting bad contact or the internals are bad because you have to put presure on the underside of the hausing where the wires connect to get it to turn over?? This quad also needs some help in the throttle response area. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone here make rear wheel spacers for these bikes? If so what would you charge me for some +2 or +3's?

Old 11-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Poohbear
Update on my sons Tomohawk 150. This weekend the bolts holding the sprocket to the rear axle sheared off. All 3 of them??? Weakass bolts, the quad doesn't produce enough horsepower to do this. Also, I am developing a problem with the quad wanting to start. The problem is electrical, right behind the starter button is 2 wires that connect to the starter/lights/brake house control on the handlebars. Where they connect is either getting bad contact or the internals are bad because you have to put presure on the underside of the hausing where the wires connect to get it to turn over?? This quad also needs some help in the throttle response area. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone here make rear wheel spacers for these bikes? If so what would you charge me for some +2 or +3's?
I've had the sprocket bolts shear off too. You need to replace them with 10.9 grade bolts (grade 8), locktite them in also using a lock washer. Your problem should be fixed. Yes, you're right - Cheap bolts. This is one of the fixed that is recommended by the dealers. Also, as Yamoto had the selling rights bought out, this is one of the upgrades/improvements they're making to the atv's.

I have a starting problem that's developed too. Mine is the selenoid. Basically you hear a click every time you try to turn it over to start. A simple 5.00 part replacement by buyinng a new 12vold selenoid at your local auto parts place. If this is not your problem, then you'd have to call Yamoto and they will replace it their 6 month warranty.

My throttle response was recently affected by a dirty carb. One of the jets was clogged due to a bad seal from the air box to the carb. Either that or you might have a sticky float in your carb.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you get the sheared off bolts out? Also, when my sons quad won't start, it doesn't even turn over. It has got to be some electrical problem somewhere on the handlebar, before it gets to the starter or solenoid. Like I said the is a connection problem inside the start button housing. I plan on calling Yamoto today.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Poohbear
How did you get the sheared off bolts out? Also, when my sons quad won't start, it doesn't even turn over. It has got to be some electrical problem somewhere on the handlebar, before it gets to the starter or solenoid. Like I said the is a connection problem inside the start button housing. I plan on calling Yamoto today.
Take a Dremmel and carve a flathead groove into the bolt end. Take a flathead screwdriver and turn em out.

Quick Reply: Yamoto 150cc Review