1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Yamoto 150cc Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamoto 150cc Review

Originally posted by: Poohbear
How did you get the sheared off bolts out? Also, when my sons quad won't start, it doesn't even turn over. It has got to be some electrical problem somewhere on the handlebar, before it gets to the starter or solenoid. Like I said the is a connection problem inside the start button housing. I plan on calling Yamoto today.

Here's another option to get the broken bolts out. It took me 10 seconds flat, for each one. Remember the old saying, "Righty tighty, lefty loosy."? Well, take the sprocket off the axle and as you face the side where the bolts would normally thread INTO the sprocket, simply flip it over and now using a smaller drill bit (1/8" or so) slowly drill (forward, not reverse) into the broken bold. As the bit drills forward, it catches into the broken bolt and it will turn the bolt in the appropriate direction to spin it out of the sprocket. It is important that you flip the sprocket over though so that it spins the threads in a reverse direction.

Your electrical problem may be within your start button housing. I had my light switch go out that way because a soldered wire simply broke loose. Just open it up and see if that's the problem. If so, you can re-solder the connection. If not, the part is about 13$ at the dealership if I'm not mistaken...

Old 11-22-2004, 05:44 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Update on my sons Tomohawk 150. This weekend the bolts holding the sprocket to the rear axle sheared off. All 3 of them??? Weakass bolts, the quad doesn't produce enough horsepower to do this. Also, I am developing a problem with the quad wanting to start. The problem is electrical, right behind the starter button is 2 wires that connect to the starter/lights/brake house control on the handlebars. Where they connect is either getting bad contact or the internals are bad because you have to put presure on the underside of the hausing where the wires connect to get it to turn over?? This quad also needs some help in the throttle response area. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone here make rear wheel spacers for these bikes? If so what would you charge me for some +2 or +3's?
I wish I had the time to make you a set of wheel spacer's. I am a machinist and made my wifes quad a set. 1" in front 1.5" in rear . I may have gone wider but I was limited to stock on hand. If you look around I believe you will find a set in the after market some where. Have you called Raceway ATV, John seem's very knowledgeable about chinese quad's. If you have no luck at all re-post your need and I will see what I can do, Maybe I wont be so busy then.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

I had the bolts shearing off problem too, tried the grade 10 bolts but they broke also.I finally welded the sprocket to the collar that the bolts go thru and have had no problems since.If i ever need a new sprocket ill just order 1 of them to go with it, they're cheap.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the consideration mywifesquad. Do you know the bolt pattern by chance? Maybe then I could get some aftermarket spacers. As far as using the Dremel, I can't get that close to the ends of the broken bolts without possibly damaging the threads on the axle plate. I had planned on using a backwards drill bit to back them out. This weekend I plan on replacing the bolts and figuring out the electrical problem with the starter. I read a previous post about a restrictor in the airbox of these quads, is there one?

Old 11-23-2004, 07:23 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Poohbear, I am at work right now and I don't have those dimension's with me. I will look for the sketch I made the spacer's from
when I get home. It will be around 14 hour's from now. Long day!!!

Old 11-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Trailblazer

No there is no restrictor in the airbox with the 150's. However soon as circumstance permits I will plan on buying a K&N filter kit for the 150's. According to Yamoto the K&N filter to buy for these items is part number "r-1100." This will supposedly help boost engine perfomance too.

Check it out at:
http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...px?Prod=r-1100

Be sure to buy the filter wrap that goes with it too. It is referenced at the bottom of the page there...

I am planning on doing this because the airbox on these things suck. I fixed the bad seal problem however here in AZ there is dust everywhere. But any trail for that matter is a problem because the lid on the side of the airbox does not seal and allows fine dust to enter, even the occasional sand granule. The inside of the air intake tube had a small glaze of dust on it as well as the inside of the carb had dust in it. I sealed the entire airbox door with slicon and the next time I have to take this thing apart will be me throwing the the stock airbox away and putting one of these K&N filters on.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer

Mandrake-It looks like the K&N filter R-1100 is $27.99 and the prefilter wrap 22-8048PK is $14.99, I will definitely do that upgrade too. Can you email me, the email from Yamoto, about the instructions for the bolt replacements, jeremy.dunn@kayesmith.com???

Mywifesquad-I plan on flipping the front rims, so I will only need spacers for the rear. I am trying to locate some LT160 front shocks too, but with no luck so far.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:33 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Mandrake-It looks like the K&N filter R-1100 is $27.99 and the prefilter wrap 22-8048PK is $14.99, I will definitely do that upgrade too. Can you email me, the email from Yamoto, about the instructions for the bolt replacements, jeremy.dunn@kayesmith.com???

Mywifesquad-I plan on flipping the front rims, so I will only need spacers for the rear. I am trying to locate some LT160 front shocks too, but with no luck so far.
It was flipping the front rims that made such a huge improvement in the front that led me to making spacer's. Ever since lt 160 shock's were mentioned here I have seen beat up used pair's go for $50.00 or so with shipping on ebay. Makes me wonder what a new pair cost's. There was a pair of Eton 70/90 shock's for sale on ebay that I emailed the guy about length and they were the same as Yamoto 150 front shock's, gotta wonder what they cost new. To be honest since spacing out the front wheels the front suspension is not that big of a deal anymore.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

I checked on bikebandit.com and LT 160 shocks are $144 each new....ouch!!! Let me kow if you'll ever have time to make me some spacers. Otherwise I'll look for some aftermarket ones. I ain't paying $144!

Old 11-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

Also, keep in mind that by making the front wheel's stance wider, you will also lose some of the tightness of your turning radius. Something worth mentioning I suppose. I have one Yamoto 150 that I have left stock and one that has front wheels about 3" wider (gross) or so. As such there is somewhat of a noticable difference in the turning. The benefits is that, of course, the atv is now wider and more stable. Depending on what terrain you're riding, turning radius may or may not be such a big deal. By widening the wheel stance the atv definitely looks bigger and badder - so I'm happy with what I've got...just an FYI.

Quick Reply: Yamoto 150cc Review