CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Wow...I really need to beat this guy....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow...I really need to beat this guy....

Last night I was hanging out at a bud's house and we got talking about wheelers. He said I oughta buy that YFZ quad cuz it'll haul a$$. So I said no, I'm all set with wanting the X, and my mind's made up. So anyway, after an hour of everyone telling me Bombs suck, I should get a yammy, I decided I really need to wax his raptor on the DS in front of everybody.

Anyway, his 01 Rappy is bored .30 over, has a K&N power kit, WB E-series slip on,I can't recall the cam, but it isn't stock, and the worst part, the scrawny little frigger only weighs 130 pounds, with his helmet and boots. I'm 250 nekkid! Of course, he's cocky as hell when it comes to all his toys, and if it isn't like his its a POS.

What can I do after the break-in to get an edge? An endcap and the K&N power kit, along with 1-inch vents probably won't be enough, but what if I threw my 120# cousin on the saddle? Anyone suppose that'll do it? Thanks..

Maybe I'll just hafta throw friendship aside and whoop his a$$!!!

Old 03-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That's good stuff!

Seriously, every 50 lb of rider weight costs you approx 5 feet in a 300ft contest. Your quad is already 75lb heavier, so your giving up approx 20 ft in weight bias alone with you on the quad.

You'll have to make approx 12 horsepower more to make up for that. In stock form, the DS is about 9hp more, so your already beat! Add mods to the Raptor and it's not going to be good for you.

So, put your cousin on it, but make sure he knows to quick shift it. Now it is going to be close since the Raptor has mods. Get an endcap and carb, and your friend's Raptor will be roast dinosaur! And, you'll have less money invested than your friend.
Better yet, add some cams and a full exhaust and you can beat him even with your weight.

Go get 'em

Old 03-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

PS: Fast break in is the way to go. If you've put any time on it, and done it right, your probably already past break in.

Old 03-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I was thinking the exact same thing as 222. It seems like nobody wants to talk about weight on this forum. Like 222 pointed out, it's very important!!!

Old 03-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Doctorturbo, there have been plenty of threads about weight and lightening quads.I have one going now about lightening reciprocating weight. However, the DS is always going to be at a weight disadvantage and alot of the guys on this forum are ever going to dip below 200lbs at 0 body fat. Likewise, there's something about having a jockey ride your bike that just doesn't seem right.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I noticed this weekend at Dumont that weight really does count as everyone should know.. I have dumped about 50-60 lbs from my ds and 15 was rotating mass.. The difference cant really be told by the radar gun, I did 52 mph up comp hill before when my bike was alot heavier along w/ a few changes, I did 53 mph this weekend BUT, I got there a whole lot faster, I ran another raptor that was on alky and he was doing 51mph and I still beat him by about 5-7 lengths.. So it really boiles down to how quik you get through the gears while getting ALL the power to the ground.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

PS: Fast break in is the way to go. If you've put any time on it, and done it right, your probably already past break in.

I am picking up a new DS next week what exactly would you recommend for the break in procedure.
I am looking for the bike to be reliable as aposed to fast im planing keeping this one for a long time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2004, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I think he means keep it pinned from the door of the dealership to the back of your truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]