CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$

The only thing I'd like to add is that DS owners dont just have one "option", but MANY OPTIONS. Lots of them, not only in stock bore, but BIG BORES TOO. Cost per horsepower is something that a lot of people use. Some dont. But we cant get to the cost per horsepower until abosolute comparitive dynos are done, this has been the best so far, and I SALUTE Choose for having the gonads to post the results. Its that basic quest for the truth, that I admire, even in the face of becoming a lightning rod. As far as comparing big bores, different big bores can and probably do produce different levels of horsepower. To put all big bore motors in the the same light is probably not accurate, and until comparitive dynos show otherwise, would be totally inaccurate to view them as the same. But I will say this, the Big Bore concept SHOULD produce more horsepower. Certainly more potential.

It's pretty much a fact now, that there is not a lot difference in peak HP over a good stock bore, stock built DS, and an HPR big bore DS. We have Choose's dyno numbers to proove that. But there is more to it than just the "big bore" concept, there is the components; Carb, intake, valve train, head flow, piston, clutch, and thats only the start. Most of the stage III motors that I built were built with A1A2 cams. One fellow from New York dynoed his DS that I built at a facility that also dynoed the HPR 730. He told me he was just 5hp shy of the HPR 730 motor. My customer had a TM45 and a carb mount filter (he already had that), 1mm oversize valves, Head Porting, RWR 14:1 piston, Barnett Clutch and A1A2 cams. The entire kit cost him less than $3500 which included a Ron Wood Racing in-frame drag pipe. Thats a HUGE value, and he can add a 20 shot of Nitrous and gain even more on the cost per horsepower, not to mention a larger carb like the TM48 or Lecton 48 and make up that 5hp quickly.

The fact is, when people buy a house, most consider the cost per square foot and the quality of the house among other factors. The cost per horsepower is a good place to also start with these motor builds. My experience is, however, that not everyone uses the cost per horsepower formula. For those that do, this is an excellent post. For those that dont, it wont be .

Marky

Old 12-17-2005, 01:42 PM
H
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
Inertia dynos are tuning tools, the Raptor guys went through these discussions in spades. A motor that shows more HP on an inertia dyno can, and has, been waxed by a motor that shows less HP on the same inertia dyno. If you really want to see how a motor performs UNDER LOAD, you've got to find a dyno that simulates real-world conditions.
several months ago there was dicussion about inertia vs brake dyno, The people with the inertia said you don't race with the brakes on, the othere side said you don't race in neutral either . I've been tuned on both, the brake dyno was better as you could get your midrange tuned, the inertia all you get is the top end I suppose for strictly drag racing that is fine but most of us trail ride too. Mine was much better after the brake dyno tuning session power was smooth everywhere, excellent throttle response and good top end.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

They are both good for tuning but only the brake dyno will compare real-world loads. I have no experience with Bomb motors but I'd guess the bigger bore motor will show a larger spread on a brake dyno and/or race track.

Old 12-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Eric, it is a want and I really want it.
There are not a whole bunch of places in Canada that have the ability to dyno a quad, so I am still going to use the best method I have "SEAT OF THE PANT FEEL"

I will be sending my motor to you shortly Eric - just waiting for my year end bonus !!!

Merry Christmas everybody

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: THEBOM
Originally posted by: sandbomber
Originally posted by: THEBOM
Originally posted by: sandbomber
I owned both and notice the one I have now LOL
You didn't have one of mine. LOL
That is true Jeff. What is different from the pami jugs from the past that had problems
The only problem I've seen is the nicisil on a jug was bad. You seen it at the Planet Sand race. It was not because of TOO much NOS like some have posted in the past. Pami does not nicisil cylinders in house. They have now decied to let me do the nicisl hear in the states if I like. One dose not make all bad .

What past are you talking about?????
Im talking about all the nicisil problems of the past!!! Im about FAST FAST FAST IF ya can build me a bigger badder faster SHOW ME and I will get out the checkbook and kick some HPR butt!!!! I dont see it in the near future BUT prove me wrong cash is on the line!!!!!

Old 12-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Looks like the gauntlet has been dropped.

Old 12-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

[/quote]

Im about FAST FAST FAST IF ya can build me a bigger badder faster SHOW ME and I will get out the checkbook and kick some HPR butt!!!! I dont see it in the near future BUT prove me wrong cash is on the line!!!!![/quote]

SHOW ME !!! LOL You forgot I'm from MO.

I've already beat the 800hpr with my 725, motor for motor with lots of eye watching. I have ran the same 60 ft as your bike at Planet Sand race with a bad cylinder and 200lbs heavier. Your bike with the same weight as me and my bike, well you know what would happen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As far as the money goes, give to MrHp and company, they need it worse than me.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

SHOW ME!!!! Come to Planet Sand and get U some!!!! I want to be the Fastest thats All !!!! I have builders all over this country side and tryed a couple others, TWISTER, REDLINE AND HPR, would be glad to add the BOM to my list!!! In a month my rigid will be built with an extra frame waiting on a motor. Planet Sand my bike should have run a 4.1 because of tire selection so dont talk about 60ft times cuz I GOT WOOD ON THE WALL that says I was the first loser LOL Dont go talking about not wanting to sell motors or you would not be on here strutting your stuff!!!! Im putting it out here on the open forum to make the baddest ds motor available and I will run it after April Drags!!! Time to step up and fill this extra frame will a power house bad ars DS motor and put P!ssing match to rest!!!!!!!!!!!! SHOW TIME lol

Old 12-18-2005, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

Wood on the wall, I'm inpressed. LOL

Should of ran a 4.1??? Sould of, would of, could of. Isn't that what you told me???

No big deal. I will be at the Planet Sand drags, Lord willing.

I'll try to keep both eye's on you this time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your a good man Jeff!!!!!!! Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$