Tire Problems in the middle of the trail? - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Default Tire Problems in the middle of the trail?

Hi, I'm very new to ATVing, I've heard that on some terrains and trails, sidewall cuts on tires happens sometimes. Has this problem occur to you guys before? What do you guys do in this situation? Should I get a spare tire just in case or is there anything else cheaper that I can get to help me if this happens? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I've seen plugs work even on long cuts. It's just a matter of stuffing enough tire plugs covered in glue to get you back to civilization where the tire can get cleaned and maybe patched from the inside. Sidewall gashes are pretty tough.

Racers use tire ***** and sometimes even a rigid foam insert to keep flats from stopping them cold. Something like this: http://4wheelonline.com/atv/Tire_Balls.107535
Old 07-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

If you have good tires, it's not so much of a problem. I ride some knarly rocky trails that have broken rocks like razor blades. Thousands of miles, but the first thing I do is swap out the crappy stock tires , if they came with them. My TRV 700 came with excellent ITP Terracross RT tires, they have been great. My Diesel was bought second hand with a bazillion miles on crappy Dunlops, couldn't wait to rip those off and replace with Outlaw MST's. Both have been great! You get what you pay for. Cat is no worse than the others. If you buy a Jeep Rubicon, Jeep doesn't put scuzzy bottom of the barrel tires on. I do put "Slime in them, can't say if it works, never had a puncture yet. I used to carry a 12volt compressor, never used it.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

If you do tear a sidewall consider putting a tube inside the tire when you get home rather than buying a new tire.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Agree with above get rid of the crappy stock tires that you may still be running and get some good tires. My tires have about 10000km on them of hard riding and still going good..

Carry a plug kit with 20 or more plugs. I usually have 50 with me and have used them on other machines. Also carry a patch kit with some large patches in it. Also for your pump if u carry one a high volume pump is what you want. Most 12v pumps are low volume and will not push enough air on a good flat. I got mine of all places walmart