Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Ok, I will get Helmet, but which style??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2001, 07:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the message loud and clear (and I think it was great advice). I will buy a helmet and have been looking. However, I have learned they range from $40 for open face 3/4 helmets to $400 snell rated Shoei. What style should I buy for the warm climate of Florida? Should I get the Motorcross full face style and goggles to go with it or is the 3/4 open face sufficient? What about brand?

I have seen some nice Bell 3/4 helmets that are DOT rated and allow you to get good ventilation and ability to wear goggles.

Pls advise and thank you!

Old 01-12-2001, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

I personally love the feel of the HJC and it has proved to be very tough.And get the full face style it is just better. The HJC only cost 160 and is very good!

Old 01-12-2001, 08:41 PM
BK
Pro Rider

I have been real happy with my Bieffe full faced MX style. I got it thru accwhse.com for like $60 plus shipping. They also have nice trail open face Bieffe, I think it is the 300 model name. I have ridden the majority of the time with open face but recently switched because I got tired of catching branches etc with my mouth. With full face and goggles, there are very little of your tender face parts exposed to abuse. If you get a Bieffe get a size bigger than normal. Oh yeah, my full face has a removable liner so you can wash it.

Old 01-12-2001, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'd say to get a motocross type with goggles. It will protect you pretty well, and will allow you to breathe normally. Mine is a Techno (bought it when in France), that costed like 200$, it is excellent, comfortable, durable (I've had it for 4 years now)...but my point is TEST THE HELMET BEFORE YOU BUY IT!!! My mom has a Shark helmet (for road bikes)...and I can't wear that thing, it seems like it's ripping my ears off...ouch.

Old 01-12-2001, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

I second the HJC helmet. I have a Thor SVS helmet right now, and the only thing I don't care for about it is the fact that I can't remove the interior pads for washing...so I Febreeze it! It is DOT/snell approved and the full face has saved my $3000 smile I had an HJC before and was very happy with it...I'll go back with HJC when I switch from my red fourwheeler to a yellow one!
'98 Recon
'99 GMC Sierra (red)
'00 400ex

Old 01-13-2001, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

If you do any kind of "air acrobatics", go with a full faced moto-x helmet. ( I say full faced cuz I havent heard or seen a 3/4 faced helmet) Dont buy one with a plastic chin guard, they will cause more damage when you wreck. Make sure that you try it on before you buy it. Wife has a HJC ith removable liner which is nice to clean. Mine is a KBC with no removable liner, which is a PITA. I cant wear hers and she cant wear mine - different size heads.

I heard this some where: If ya got a $5 brain, buy a $5 helmet. Usually, a $150-200 helmet will be fine. Most have vents that you can open or close. The better helmets are both DOT and Snell approved. Good Luck!!

Old 01-13-2001, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

I have a Bieffe 3Sport. Like a mx or you can put a face sheild on it. They only cost around $100, and are pretty comfortable. If I were you I would just go shopping and get the most comfortable and make sure it has vents.
Exer

Old 01-13-2001, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Tealboy, glad to see you're using your head and shopping for a good helmet. I think everyone already covered it. A good full faced motocross style helmet may end up saving that pretty face some day. I bought Bieffe MX helmets for my sons but there are several nice helmets out there. My helmet doesn't have a removable inner liner and I wish it did. One other thing you might consider is a "flak jacket" or chest protector. I know a few guys that have been riding tight trails and had their handle bars clip a tree. It'll throw the handle bars right back into your ribs and usually break a couple. Have fun.

Old 01-14-2001, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

After you get your helmet and want to change color, buy a helmet skins, I have a full face black shoei with a visor and vents I wear goggles,I got a an advantage helmet skins for it and it looks like a brand new helmet, on muddy days, take it off and throw it in the washer. Fits snug an they have a few colors to choose from....
29 buck fo a new looking helmet.