Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

eton clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eton clutch ?

When you start to change the front wieghts you are allowing the Belt to ride up the pulley faster which means you are shifting to a higher gear sooner.As for running only 3 wieghts I would not suggest that because it does add a little extra stress to the variator (small little cracks) find 6 lighter matched wieghts you are better off.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:32 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eton clutch ?

Originally posted by: Johnnyo
When you start to change the front wieghts you are allowing the Belt to ride up the pulley faster which means you are shifting to a higher gear sooner.As for running only 3 wieghts I would not suggest that because it does add a little extra stress to the variator (small little cracks) find 6 lighter matched wieghts you are better off.

The rollers work by centrifigul force. The lighter the weight, the less the force pushing out. The front variator would close slower; thus running a lower gear. That's why it also bumps up the rpms you are turning. Heavier weights would cause it to close faster causing a higher gear ratio and fewer rpms.

I agree about finding 6 lighter weights.

Old 09-17-2004, 02:06 PM
geo
Trailblazer
Default eton clutch ?

The rollers work by centrifigul force. The lighter the weight, the less the force pushing out. The front variator would close slower; thus running a lower gear. That's why it also bumps up the rpms you are turning. Heavier weights would cause it to close faster causing a higher gear ratio and fewer rpms.
True enough, the rollers 'work' by centrifugal force, but the last part of your statement is incorrect... the force is the same.
The lighter the weight, the higher the revs. The force remains the same, and is equivalent to mass*rpm^2.

Think about it this way- let's say we happen to be at a certain rpm and CVT ratio, and the load on the engine increases (hitting a hill, etc)... the effect is the engine wants to slow down. When that happens, the centrifugal force exerted by the rollers decreases. Because the rollers are actually pushing on the variator inner half, this decreases the sqeezing force between the CVT sheaves, thus allowing the belt to sit in closer to the center. The effect is that that now the engine rpm wants to climb again (like downshifting a manual), that increases the centrifugal force, and the whole process repeats but with the opposite effects. This process happens so quickly and seemlessly that it's completely transparent.

The point of the story is that changing that roller weight only changes the rpm that the CVT tries to control around (within its range of adjustment). I have researched the topic thoroughly, and have proved it on dyno, and in real life. If you don't buy it. Fine. Like they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink... I'd just assume keep it as my own competitive advantage.

Old 09-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default eton clutch ?

Trailblazer I could not have said it any better Great explaination

Old 09-17-2004, 03:02 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Default eton clutch ?

Originally posted by: geo
True enough, the rollers 'work' by centrifugal force, but the last part of your statement is incorrect... the force is the same.
The lighter the weight, the higher the revs. The force remains the same...

Tie a 10lb weight on the end of a string a swing it around in a circle. Now try a 50lb weight. According to your statement they would exert the same force.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default eton clutch ?

I agree with raptorlegs.The heavier wieghts will open the clutches sooner and possibly further,giving you potentially more top speed.This is only if the previous wieghts were too light to open the variator up fully to give it full shift out into high gear. The heavier wieghts will also be a little slower to backshift when you hit a hill or resistance.Raptorlegs example with the wieght and rope is excellent,try letting it go once you get it swinging if you want to see which one has more force!

Old 09-17-2004, 06:25 PM
geo
Trailblazer
Default eton clutch ?

take the 10 lb weight and swing it twice as fast, it will exert 4 times the force (rpm squared)- nearly as much as much as the 50 lb weight. it's the combination of weight AND speed that determine the ratio.

i give up. see you at the track.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:52 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Default eton clutch ?

No, it's a combination of weight, speed and radius.

The only way for your engine to hit a higher rpm (at a given speed) is to run a lower gear. No different then your car. The only drawback of lighter rollers is there is a potential to over-rev past peak power. But even your car runs better past it's peak power in first gear than it does at peak power in 2nd. And like you said the engine is in a bind under normal riding conditions. So this impacts the way it acts as well.

Hey, I consulted with a couple of builders prior to making these mods. The proof may not be in the pudding, but it is sitting out in my garage. Like I said, no more lag.

Old 09-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default eton clutch ?

thanks to all !!! between what I have read and found on the w.w.w I have been able to tune the clutch almost where I want it for the type of riding we do in the niagara area I have gone back to all weights just slightly less then the weight of the three and changed the torque spring to next size up again thanks to all