Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'02 Sportsman 500HO?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Sportsman 500HO?

Hello, new here! Nice site too! Anyway I just purchased a used '02 Sportsman 500 HO. I have had many 4wheelers over the years, but no Polaris. My question is, this atv sometimes pulls on its own when in gear and no gas being applied! The idle sounds fine, but might be high and I just don't know it. Is this a problem on any of them? It does this about 75% of the time in forward or reverse and is hard to get in gear sometimes when it does this.

Sam

Old 11-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

well you could try to turn down your idle the screw is right about your belt cover in a little farther... the other thing is your shims inside your clutch that hold it apart from your belt could be worn

Old 11-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Put in 2wd, jack up back end, start engine, if wheels turn at a idle try slowing down you engine idle speed,
Some rotation in this test is normal but the tire should not have any force to them, should not push the bike idleing in gear on the ground.
If you can't slow the engine enough to make it stop then you need clutch repair or cleaning.
Bike should not lurch hard when shifting from N to L , if it does or grinds then check your idle speed.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys! Yep, I turned down the idle till it would hardly run and it still pulls when in gear! It will pull pretty good just at idle, so I guess something in the clutch! I just bought this 500, so maybe not a good buy! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Clutch cleaning and new belts are a maintenance item for any cvt transmission, it probly not to serious, how many miles on bike.
You can try removing the belt cover ,blowing the belt dust out with compessed air, checking the weights and pins (rotate pin with allen wrench) for sticking, make sure the drive clutch spring is not broke, and that the clutch slide in and out freely. (remove belt and push in by hand to test this) try to rock the outside of your clutch from side to side to check the bushing tightness.
Finally inspect the belt for cracks and wear and lube the pins and bushings with something like fluidfilm or wd40.
Belt/clutch maintenance should be done every 1000 miles or anually.
To not disengage would indicate the clutch not opening fully, stuck bushing, a weak clutch spring or a belt thats too wide or short.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went ahead today since I'm kinda slow here at my 4x4 shop and took of the running board and cover to see what was going on in there! Everything pretty clean and belt not wore to bad, but wasn't sure what a new belt was like compared to what I had.

My friend who used to work at our local Polaris parts dept. stopped to see me and was surprised I had bought the bike (not knowing I liked Utility's since I always own race quads) and told me the belt was in pretty good shape but is usually the cause of the problem I'm having. We went down to the dealer he used to work at and I purchased a new belt, and Wa-La, problem solved! Not much difference in the looks between my old belt and the new, but I guess enough to cause the problem!

I can start it now and Click it into gear instead of grind it into gear! When it goes in gear now, it actually sets there without moving! LOL

Old 11-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm
Seems a little strange a worn belt is usually too loose in the clutches, it sits down in the secondary and the primary has to close too far and grips the belt part way up.
The end effect is you loose your low and high gears so to speak. 1/8" on a cvt trans make a noticable difference.
But for the symtoms you decribe it would take a belt too short, or to wide too not disenguage and it would happen all the time (because the belt does not change, it just slowly wears) or your primary clutch is sticking partialy shut some times. (more likely)
Also you idle must return to a consistant, low speed as these clutches begin to engage at low rpms.
Anyhow if it shifts Hi lo rev ok, then its working fine, but I'd keep a eye on the drive clutch
Best of luck
Ken

Old 11-21-2005, 11:02 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

In addition to adjusting the idle, replace the belt and clean out the clutches by blowing out all the dust with pressurized air. Belts are cheap so it will not cost you much.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

if u got a good dealer he will give u a free one if u bring in your old belt and it doesnt look abused