Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Heel Clicker Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel Clicker Clutch?

Generally speaking, here's a few details that might help those out there searching for the optimum clutch setup:

1) Stock Spring - lowest RPM engagement and best engine braking
2) White Spring - slightly higher RPM Engagement and less engine braking
3) In relation to stock weights - heavier weight will cause the tranny to upshift quicker, but the potential for bogging down is there if the weights are too heavy. The opposite holds true if you go with a lighter weight. If you go from stock tires to really big tires, you might want to go with the washer mod for simplicity to engage the belt harder and quicker, and possibly go with ligher weights depending on how big you go. This will cause the belt to engage harder and quicker, plus keep the RPM's up a little longer to get those big meats moving quicker.

Hopefully that helps, and to me a clutch kit is a waste. Just buy the parts separately and save the money.

Chris

Old 04-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the break down. I'm quite happy with the stock set up on mine.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

IMO a customer should never have to grindon his clutches to install a set of weights, the factories balance each and every clutch before they are sold for a reason, a cltuch that is out of balance can wreck alot of parts in a hurry? . On the belts we have tried them all and though some might last a little longer nothing works better than the stk. ones on the Polaris quads. On the engagment issue that has been a tough spot for years now, one of the easiest ways to get the quads to pull harder is to raise the engagment reason being the quad make more hp @ higher rpms at first it may seem jurky or jumpy but after a week of riding you shouldn't notice the differance. OK91LX what rpm are you turning @ wide open throttle they should have suggested operating rpm for there kit too so you can check there to see if you are over reving ( turnign too much rpm) Most of the sportsmans turn about 6000-6300 rpm and the rev limiter kicks in @ 6400 or close to it. Did you have to change the secondary spring with the hc kit? IF so that might be why you feel lie it just reving and not going anywere too it might be too stiff and not allowing it to upshift fast enough.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

by the sound of this kit it makes me wonder if its even worth the time and money to spend on such a complex set up? i guess i thought the whole idear of this h/c set up was to have firmer belt grap and true shifts. maybe a little extra hp as well. i guess im still wondering about the whole set up.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

If I was going to buy a clutch kit again it would the Heel Clicker in my opinion its the best kit out there.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I'm with sportsman7003! I have tried the others, epi to mention one, and they in no way compare to the results of the heelclicker. Heel Clicker are the undisputed best kit made for a polaris. Some people have had to do some mods to get the hc to work, however, mine was like plug and play. The 500 has the easiest setup for the hc as you don't use anything but the set screw in the weights shoulder. The other screws are for the twins. You do not have to shim or any of that stuff. I haven't ran into one 05 500 than had to do the clutch mod yet. I guarantee you, you'll regret any other kit but the hc! Go to www.atvquadsquad.com and ask about clutch kits. This is a Polaris driven website and those guys will tell you the downlow on the HC and how much better it is than the others.