Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help!! Carb Removal - 2006 Sportsman 500

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Carb Removal - 2006 Sportsman 500

Okay, I am doing a few things to get my machine ready to go for this upcoming season and need a little advice. I have never taken my carb off to clean it before. I have been given a few different options such as running the motor, and spraying carb cleaner or ether in it, but that only cleans so much, not to mention that it is bad on the motor internals itself. I have decided to pull it off, disassemble, and soak it in some dawn or something while leaving the air fuel adjustments alone.

My questions are, how do I remove the throttle and the choke cable? I do not want to take more apart than I need to until I have the carb out where I can see everything, and have a work station set up. Looks like each of the cables have a piece that is threaded into the the carb, but even if I removed that, I am guessing that there is a cable connected somewhere inside that I am going to have to remove some how. I already have the fuel lines disconnected, the mounting bracket disconnected and removed, vacuum line disconnected, and the carb is disconnected from the air box, and the motor itself, so all I have left is the throttle and the choke cable. Any help is appreciated. I have photos below to help describe what I am referring to. Sorry, she is a little dirty since I haven't been able to give it a good bath with the weather the way it has been lately around me.

Thanks, Joe

^^^Throttle cable on riders RH side^^^

^^^Throttle Casing^^^

^^^Choke Cable on riders LH side^^^

Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

For the throttle you remove the side cover #27 behind it you will see how to disconect the cable. Then you unsrcew that nut on your top pic and pull it out.

For the Choke,just unscrew it and the pludger will pull right out. It looks like this
Its a slide carb but you get the idea.

Your piliot jet is #11 and your main jet is #19, I do not see a Piloit air jet to worry about.

Here is a step by step on how to clean carb jets.Disassembly and Cleaning of a Mikuni Round slide Carburetor

Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you very much. Those were the answers I was hoping for, but I just wanted to make sure before I started doing unnecessary work.

When I clean the carb, should I disassemble the whole throttle casing, or just pull the cover, and leave the rest? I was planning on removing the bowl, float, jets, top cover and soaking it. Is there anything else I should remove before soaking?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Just clean the jets and keep it together soak the rest.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

no need to remove any seals or anything? Thanks for the info

Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I know what you mean the carb cleaner can be hard on rubber, I myself never soak them I just give the rest a good spraying once the jets are clean. Once the Jets and choke plunger are clean thats all there is for the operation of the carb, if anything I would soak it in wd40 for the moving parts like the butterfly,plunger and such.
Your after that new white metal look for the body of the carb I take it?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
I know what you mean the carb cleaner can be hard on rubber, I myself never soak them I just give the rest a good spraying once the jets are clean. Once the Jets and choke plunger are clean thats all there is for the operation of the carb, if anything I would soak it in wd40 for the moving parts like the butterfly,plunger and such.
Your after that new white metal look for the body of the carb I take it?
I was just mainly worried about the jets and the bowl because mine sits more than it is ridden, so I want to make sure that if there is any sort of gunk built up, I get it taken care of. And as you can tell by the pictures, it would take weeks of continuous cleaning to make my machine look clean again

Thanks, Joe

Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I got the carb off, and disassembled. Not hard at all, so thanks for all the help.

Joe