Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-1999, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,
Guess What? I got it, a Sportsman 500. It is so nice. Just got done hauling hay; so much easier with the 500. The power output is unbelievable. I did things in 2 wheel drive high on the 500 that I did in four wheel drive low. If I run out of power on this thing then I don't need to be doing it. You guys that have a 500 have ya'll ever got it stuck or spun the tires. Thanks guys for helping me decide to go with the 500.
Michael Johnson
Sportsman 500 and Trail Boss 250
^
John Deere Tractor

Old 08-02-1999, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

Alright!! Another convert!! Glad to hear you're enjoying the 500. I use mine for work (and play) like you sound like you do...and yes, you can spin the tires...get it stuck (remember it's heavier than most)...flip it...all those same things that pester the LESSER QUADS!:-)
Todd

Old 08-03-1999, 02:27 PM
hc
Range Rover

Yes the SP500 sure is a different machine. I was ridding a Yamaha moto-4 350. Got this "99" Sportsman 500 and wow was i amazed at what it could do and the way it rides as comparied to the Yamaha. I use it on a hunting club,which is very hilly,has cutover and most of the roads are washed out.It only gets worse when deer season rolls around. The dry red dirt turns to glue when it rains. SO it will be interesting this winter. I like the EBS better than i thought i would. And another person that is in the club,(we work at the same place) has a Polaris and he has pulled the same trailer down the washed out roads and over logs(small) with his 4-wheeler, loaded with 4x4's and plywood to build shooting houses that he pulls behind his truck that his atv is hauled on. We like our Polaris sportsman's

------------------
Harold Cowley Hartselle,AL

[This message has been edited by hc (edited 08-03-1999).]

Old 08-03-1999, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys,
I love this atv. i just practically drove it through a 4' deep creek. I can haul round bells now because I couldn't with the 335. I haven't got to try the ebs yet because we don't have many hills around here. I really would like to know how well it works. I drove it through a swamp today and my dad's friend got stuck on his 300 explorer and I had to pull him all the way to the other side. I went throught the swamp in 4 wheel drive high. I am really impressed with how much power the 500 has in high compared to the 335. More stories later.
Michael Johnson
Sportsman 500 AKA The Green Monster and Trail Boss 250

Old 08-08-1999, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys, those of you doing all this hauling and pulling in high range. I know the engine has the power, and obviously the tranny belt is hooking up and allowing you to do the work, but you're asking for trouble if you keeping loading the quad up in high range. If you overload it, that belt will begin to slip sooner or later. You may not realize it at first because it keeps moving, but when it slips like that under load, it generates a tremendous amount of heat. The EBS models actually have larger diameter air intake and output tubes because the EBS generates more heat naturally than non-EBS models. I have seen many melted belt covers and burned belts because people think that since they have a bad-a** 500 cc Sportsman, they can do anything with it. Bottom line, if you're doing anything remotely heavy with it, and you don't need the speed of high range, PUT IT IN LOW. If you don't, you will soon be spending at least 200 bucks to fix something that didn't need to break in the first place. I have a '97 Explorer 500 with about 1300 miles on it, and have never even had the belt cover off. These clutches and belts will last a long time if you take care of them, (just like most everything else).

Hope I didn't sound like a pr*ck. Just wanted to help you guys enjoy your quads even more!

Old 08-22-1999, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MR JOHNSON,im so glad you like your 99 Sportsman,BUT,go to 99 Sportsman in the forums and read my disappointing story of my 99 Sportsman.SORRY ,but I just had to let you know.

Old 08-23-1999, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

Ed is 100% right guys, the stories of burned belts and melted covers are true. Just because you can do it in high doesn’t mean you should.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 08-23-1999, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

The advice about the use of low ranre when pulling a load is excelent. Most belt and clutch problems are the result of persons trying to operate in high range when they should be in low. I always tell the local boys when they get a cvt trans machine to be sure and learn when to use low range and so far they have all listened well the lowest milage that I have changed a belt on one of their quads was 2100miles another nieghbor has 2 a 400explorer with 3800miles and a 3004x4 with 5100miles (used to be mine)both are on the original belts. So if you take care of your machine use the low range any time you sense it loading heavy you should get good life from your trans belt and clutches.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-24-1999, 03:21 AM
hc
Range Rover

When riding at the hunting club seldom if every do I get out of low range except when on main road.A good rule of thumb for a SP500, not sure about others, is when NOT pulling a load and doing 7 miles per hour or less, use low range. Acorrding to some technical data that I came across. When doing 7 MPH or less in high range on a SP500,the belt is not fully engage and some slipping is ocurring. This is just the rider and atv no other loads.

------------------
Harold Cowley