Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
yes i have learned well, master kenobi . i will use the force.

i even learned some neat tricks with the clutch system for a 230s.

have the steel drive plates mic'ed. if they are 1.6mm. you add a 2mm plate in the middle of the stack. it helps the clutch to grab hard and no slip at all. this will only work if your engine# is 104361 and higher.

well off to the Vault i go to update some new info.
What about stiffer springs?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

about 20 miles east of fort smith in charleston.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustRandy
What about stiffer springs?
well yeah that too. but adding that 2mm steel drive plate is an improvement all in itself. it tightens the stack by .4mm but its noticable on take off and hill climbing.

i know .4mm doesnt seem like much, at least thats what i thought. until the guy that owns our local atv shop let me ride a 450r with a standard clutch pack and another 450r with a .5mm thicker plate in the center of its clutch. it was way noticable, stronger clutch pull and i could launch faster with the extra .5mm plate. i guess it some what applies to what you taught me randy, i shaved a few lugs of a tire, shed some more weight here and there and what a difference it makes.

its just hard to believe that suzuki would offer 2 different clutch packs for the 230s. but after researching it the one is a first gen pack for the 1400ml block and when they made the 1600ml block and 2000ml block, they changed it to the 2nd gen pack. the stack height was shorter in the first gen and couldnt handle the torque very well.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

well yeah that too. but adding that 2mm steel drive plate is an improvement all in itself. it tightens the stack by .4mm but its noticable on take off and hill climbing.

i know .4mm doesnt seem like much, at least thats what i thought. until the guy that owns our local atv shop let me ride a 450r with a standard clutch pack and another 450r with a .5mm thicker plate in the center of its clutch. it was way noticable, stronger clutch pull and i could launch faster with the extra .5mm plate.

its just hard to believe that suzuki would offer 2 different clutch packs for the 230s. but after researching it the one is a first gen pack for the 1400ml block and when they made the 1600ml block and 2000ml block, they changed it to the 2nd gen pack. the stack height was shorter in the first gen and couldnt handle the torque very well.
Yup, and continuing your line of reasoning lol, when they made the 250 they upgraded to the 7 disk set. I suppose the extra disk makes it last longer.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Yup, and continuing your line of reasoning lol, when they made the 250 they upgraded to the 7 disk set. I suppose the extra disk makes it last longer.
according to Suzuki that wasnt the case. they expected more torque from the 250s so the extra plates were added. it was more of a safety precaution than anything else. I'll tell you what international calls are expensive. i'm glad i wasnt on longer than an hour and a half, it costed me $23.00 just for that call. No Suzuki dealer in the U.S could explain why there was 2 different packs. And good luck understanding the Suzuki tech support in Japan. I could barely understand them.

i'll be back later. still updating the Vault.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

hey randy, would you mind swingin over to The Vault and check out the new tables i added in Specs/ Info ? let me know if its easy enough to follow.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

according to Suzuki that wasnt the case. they expected more torque from the 250s so the extra plates were added. it was more of a safety precaution than anything else. I'll tell you what international calls are expensive. i'm glad i wasnt on longer than an hour and a half, it costed me $23.00 just for that call. No Suzuki dealer in the U.S could explain why there was 2 different packs. And good luck understanding the Suzuki tech support in Japan. I could barely understand them.

i'll be back later. still updating the Vault.
What wasn't the case?

I don't think the extra plate increases the friction, which would be needed to holeshot better. Seems the only added benefit is more plate surface area which would translate to less heat and wear per disk per hour. To get more friction you either have to increase the force applied or increase the coefficient of friction

Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

The charts look very good

Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

What wasn't the case?

I don't think the extra plate increases the friction, which would be needed to holeshot better. Seems the only added benefit is more plate surface area which would translate to less heat and wear per disk per hour. To get more friction you either have to increase the force applied or increase the coefficient of friction
it wasnt to increase wear life just torque. the stardard 6 friction discs couldnt handle the torque for very long. so yeah in a sense you got it.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by snow racer
The charts look very good
thanks. i will be adding a section for the lt230e also in the future. i cant find anything on the lt230geg anywhere. so if anyone owns one i feel sorry for them. parts, info, or any specs are not out there because they were not popular quads.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.