Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mjlar94

If you need to run a 12.5 I dont want to etch it in stone but I'd say your needle is way to big. Step that down 2 and run a 20 and a 240? Just throwing stuff out there.</end quote></div>

You are probably right. I wish I had a selection of needles to work with... and pilots, but I was trying to make it work with what I have around the shop. I'm so close now and I get frustrated in knowing I need a jet that NOBODY else in the world would ever have a use for, lol. All the shops around here take the lean pilots out and put in richer jets, not the other way like I'm trying to do. Even so, they still don't have such lean pilots like I want. They have a bunch of 17.5 though.

I've thought about putting the stock needle back in and going with a dial a jet. Still thinking on that one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mjlar94

If you need to run a 12.5 I dont want to etch it in stone but I'd say your needle is way to big. Step that down 2 and run a 20 and a 240? Just throwing stuff out there.</end quote></div>

You are probably right. I wish I had a selection of needles to work with... and pilots, but I was trying to make it work with what I have around the shop. I'm so close now and I get frustrated in knowing I need a jet that NOBODY else in the world would ever have a use for, lol. All the shops around here take the lean pilots out and put in richer jets, not the other way like I'm trying to do. Even so, they still don't have such lean pilots like I want. They have a bunch of 17.5 though.

I've thought about putting the stock needle back in and going with a dial a jet. Still thinking on that one. [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Man, I think I am gonna do the same.... I have a dial a jet in this mess of a garage somewhere.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] If you do buy the dial a jet, be sure to get the snorkle for it as well.. In the summer months the fine dust is freakin everywhere.

As always, thank you all for the input.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Man, I think I am gonna do the same.... I have a dial a jet in this mess of a garage somewhere.[img][/img] If you do buy the dial a jet, be sure to get the snorkle for it as well.. In the summer months the fine dust is freakin everywhere.

As always, thank you all for the input.</end quote></div>

No problem... Talking about it helps me learn a bit more. I remember in your old sig you said you highly recomended the dial a jet. So, I did some reading about it and it sounds like a pretty neat thing.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

I think I recommened it due the fact that I didn't have to re-jet after opening air box and adding the DG on the old engine.. Kinda neat to at about every 800-1000 ft elevation change or when it started to run strange, (beer break anyway) just click it over a dot, and good to go!

My Pops put them on all our dirtbikes back in the day, but once again I was just riding, he was wrenching...

Old 11-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Since I am good at bringing up old ****, JustRandy, any ideas about hookin up an oil cooler to these things. We (270and I) went over it awhile ago and kinda mutually bailed on it.. he has some pics on his page still. Any ideas????

Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Since I am good at bringing up old ****, JustRandy, any ideas about hookin up an oil cooler to these things. We (270and I) went over it awhile ago and kinda mutually bailed on it.. he has some pics on his page still. Any ideas????</end quote></div>

I've noticed a few times he (270) keeps talking about oil holes on other posts... I haven't looked into it yet.. Kinda just buried my head in the sand on that one and hoped for the best. Might as well figure out what the talk is all about. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have a bayou out there that has external oil lines, so it would be easy to hook a cooler up to that. The 250ex out there too already has an oil cooler from the factory I could go take a look at. The 230 though, doesn't have external lines and I cant think of where to tap in for a cooler. Maybe the oil filter??? Get a cooler with an external filter and bypass the stock 230 filter? Is the pump strong enough to pump the oil everywhere it needs to go after going thru a cooler?

If it had a battery we could just run a tube down the oil fill hole and hook up an electric pump to pump the oil thru the cooler n back.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigMc

Well, it was bound to happen. And it did. A normal rider would of been proud. But this just amplified the feelings I already have.

I was out ridden the 230 today, ya know, just around the neighborhood. When this kid flagged me down. I stopped. And noticed he must be about 15 years old. He asked me what I was rideing. He did not recognize the machine.

I told him it was a LT230S Quadsport. He then asked "who makes it"? I stated PROUDLY, no one, it has not been built for 20 years ( being an 87, I wasnt lieing).

At which point I fired it up (one kick P.G.) and took off in 3rd gear in a wheelie back in the direction of my place.

If ever there is a point in a persons life that they are more proud of their accomplishments, that was one of mine.

You guys are part of my story. You understand what it means to be aboard the 230. The fact that it still exist is a testament to the pride you take in your machine.

keep-em-alive

BigMc

Ah yes......... 1 kick, I remember it well!!!!! As a matter of fact, just to ease my frustration, I put my "old" albeit, pumped up, engine yesterday in the girl!!! Same thing, ran around the block! Yes, 1 kick!

I can't lie, got bugs in my teeth from the grin on my face from my lil ride!!!

Soon, I hope to give a ride report on tha big bore. Getting closer (slowly) every day! The only thing that is slowing me up, is my job (POOL BIZ THIS TIME OF YEAR=9-13 HOUR DAYZ) But more importantly, when I am not working, I am trying to B a Father and husband, the most important jobs in the world!!!

This is how I know I am blessed, my beautiful 8 year old daughter, and my georgous wife, always want to find, and to give me time to work on the "turd". They know that working on this thing gives me a huge amount of pride (never done this type of thing alone, without knowledgeble help, not counting you all) Strange, the more time they give me, the more I want to spend that time with them!!

Whipped, yes that is me!!! 230 quadsports, and my family, Ya know what? IT DOES NOT GET BETTER THAN THIS!!! Every day above dirt is a good day!

I am not a religous man, but I recognize am blessed in life, and I thank you all for keeping something that most would trivalize, but some of ya all understand.

Alright, done being sappy, for now, thank you for your time!

-------------------------
Old Quads rule!&lt;BR&gt;1986 LT230S STARTING OVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading back in the post, JEEZE we are some sentimental fools!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Still wouldn't change a word.......

Old 11-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

only thing i did not figure out is a clutch cable bracket. Where u would need to tap is right where cluch cable bracket is. When running stock 230 stuff motor would run really hot, after big bore it ran way cool(go figure) dont know exactly why. My motor im getting ready to start building will have a cooler, as there is plenty of room for a big cooler and i want it to hold xtra quart or two of oil. Thing is my top end still looked fabolus (sp) still had blackness of cam being new and when valve cover is removed it sprays oil past front of quad. Didnt do that before i reamed that passage. I had read somewhere about it having flash and when changing main bearings and trans bearings i was looking over cases with a light and only seen a pin hole of light thru this area. If anyone needs pics of what im talking bout ill postem

Old 11-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm pretty sentimental too, just cant put stuff into words like you (PG). That's a pretty poweful gift you have there! Funny you should post that about the dirt,,, as tomorrow a very accomplished man, friend to me and someone I admire will probably no longer be above it... except in a miracle.

I'll take some pics 270... I'll pm you with my email so you can give me the biguns. The most likely reason it would have less heat is less compression. Less compression = less heat thru less pressure (PV=nrT) and less ignition advance (spark advance stays the same, but the gas starts burning sooner because of higher pressure - later if lower pressure). The sooner the gas starts burning, the longer it stays in the engine before going out the pipe. Somehow the big bore has less compression... Maybe a longer duration cam in the big bore? And not in the stock 230???

Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

that was when stock!before i ever cracked motor apart for first time boiled oil no s*it. when i bought this quad motor was totally stock ran super hot. i can beat it loud now and with bigbore and dont get too hot. only thing quad had perf wise when i bought it was a pipe. even with jetting still ran super hot.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.