Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 270quadsportguy

its fairly easy to change valves and seals,but like randy said shop has to do guides. go on ebay and buy a c clamp style spring compressor, 20$ will get ya one or u can rent them too. Just gotta be careful not to lose keepers and that spring dont go flying. Randy im not 100% sure on the 250 head but that is what i hear and the 250 has different exhaust part number so there must be some difference</end quote></div>

No, its exactly as you said. The exhaust comes straight out of the 250 and a 15-30 degree angle from the 230. I never would have known...

Those 2 quads are more different than the same. The 250 is FAR from being just a bored out 230, lol.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

OMG! Just got a call from a friend here at work! He is picking up an '89, I think he said, LT500 zilla.............. I know it off subject, but if you all don't hear from me after Saturday, it is probably cause I am in the hospital![img][/img]</end quote></div>

Does it run? How much did it cost? One of these days I'm gonna get me one of those. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Anyone know a place that I can get cheap oem type shocks? I'm not much in the mood to pay $400 for shocks yet. I'd be happy if I could find a set of shocks like the lt250s has.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Spend 300 for the works performance, check they're ebay store, cheaper than you can get any where. Ride the dual rates once and I swear you will wonder why you didn't do it b4 you messed with the engine. 500 will get the rear, but you will be amazed with just the fronts.. I promise you will be impressed. BigMc mentioned that shocks should be your first mod, I didn't believe it, either.. bout a month later scored a 2 month old 400ex with works all the way around, thought they all rode like that, till I rode my friends with stock shocks......... Talk about night and day!!!

2 weeks later he had works on order for his 400ex and I had them on order for the "turd". I don't know much about anything, and won't try to "intelligently" argue anything you all have to say about wrenching on these things, except about shocks, worth their weight in gold.....

Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

OMG! Just got a call from a friend here at work! He is picking up an '89, I think he said, LT500 zilla.............. I know it off subject, but if you all don't hear from me after Saturday, it is probably cause I am in the hospital![IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Does it run? How much did it cost? One of these days I'm gonna get me one of those. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border="0[/IMG]</end quote></div>

Just got back from picking it up... WOW I wish I had the luck of my buddy... $1900!!!! Beautiful, barely a scratch on it, 1st owner (even had original owners manual AND sales reciept!!!!) Sold it because he could't get it started after being in storage for 2 years!!!??........................................ ...................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

We put a new plug in it, and it started 3rd freakin kick, on 2 year old gas!!!!
Flippin hilarious watching my boy almost shoot the bike out from under him into his neighbors house!!!! He had never played with a big 2 stroke b4!![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

So Mr. experience (ME)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Hops on, first gear almost flip, but lookin good doin it, 2nd, slight wheelie, i know what i'm doin[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] yeah right, 3rd gear, power band in full effect..... I DESTROY the grab bar grinding it on the asphalt, and almost take out a car... My heart is still pounding... I have always been known as a crazy baztard, but you can have that freakin bike!!!!! Maybe out in the WIDE OPEN DUNES I'll have the cajones to ride it (this weekend by the way), I am still shaking![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

My Dad used to say "if you aren't scared, you aren't grabbin enough throttle!"
Fu@ker never rode the "zilla"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Like I said, one of these days I'll get one of those. Been thinking about it since the 80's, so a little while longer aint gonna hurt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Your account reminds me of my buddy... Everytime he rides he flips off the back. He's like a cat with 9 lives, but instead of landing on his feet he always lands on his azz. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

That 500 2-stroke would be a lot like a 900 4 stroke in terms of power, so not many people have an inkling how much power we're talking.

My generator had gas in it from 1999 or earlier. I fired it up a few months ago for the first time since then. Not a problem. I did eventually take the gas out and use it up in my lawn mower and it turned the normally translucent tank a dark brown color, lol.

About the shocks.... I was looking at works shocks last night n decided I wasn't ready to shell out the loot yet, but maybe I'll mull it over for a while. In the mean time, I have to move the shocks I have in towards the center because they are too stiff where they are. There is a night n day difference because of the a-arms over stock,,, and I don't **** my pants anymore plowing into a trail full of rocks measured in terms of feet (23 inch front tires help there too), but I still think I can get some more softness out of the setup. And my arms need to be angled down more for stability in turns (that will also reduce the width by an inch or so = 46 inches instead of 47). I think a lot of my hesitation of buying shocks is that I haven't finished tweaking my a-arms, so I don't know how long of a shock I will need. If I did buy the works, they would be the only thing on the quad worth looking at. That's another problem.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Think the zilla is bad? How would you like to swing a leg over this? Complete insanity... That sums it up! [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Tiger/pg52.jpg

Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

I would love to get my mits on a Quadzilla. I have never riden a 2 stroke 4wheeler. the only other wheelers I have riden for short periods was my father-in-laws Grizzly 660 and my brother-in-laws 400 4x4. When I bought the 230 and took er for a spin I loved it so much more then the previous mentioned, I knew for me it was sport type bikes. My brother-in-law has already tried to unsuccesfuly (Big muddy brook crossings) get me stuck while out trail riding so I can hang with them and on the trails I blow thier doors off. I can't even imagine what it would be like mounted (wouldn't one of those kill switch cords be a smart thing on it) on a 500 Quadzilla. I feel I have so much more to do to the 230 that if I got another I would be taking valuable resources (money) from getting it to what I envision (Malhombre's level). My son is almost 4 1/2 years old so I'm thinking by the time he is able to ride the 230 I will have aquired something like a Quadzilla and pass the 230 on down (of course with the option to ride it when I want) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Btw yesterday I went to the local dealer and obtained 3 jet sizes 190,200,210 and ended up using the 210 with the air screw turned out 2 1/2 turns the air lid on and it seems to be running well. I'm going to try today to mess with the exhaust discs and see if that makes any difference as well. I think I need to change sprocket sizes it seems pretty short geared with the 12/41(3.417 ratio), been thinking of going with the taller gearing 13/39(3.000 ratio) especially since the sprockets and chain are hurting anyway and need to be replaced.

Thanks for the replies regarding the valve job I have no idea what I am getting into and was suprised to find out from you guys posting that the valve guides are something that I can't do on my own, I figured if I can order them then I could replace them. So looks like I need to find a shop around here that can do it.

That 3 wheeler would be good for someone who just found out they are terminal and want one last thrill and just jump on it and are never heard from again....

Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Think the zilla is bad? How would you like to swing a leg over this? Complete insanity... That sums it up! [img][/img]

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Tiger/pg52.jpg</end quote></div>

WOW, flashback!!! I think I remember reading that article when it was new..

Old 11-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

I would love to get my mits on a Quadzilla. I have never riden a 2 stroke 4wheeler. the only other wheelers I have riden for short periods was my father-in-laws Grizzly 660 and my brother-in-laws 400 4x4. When I bought the 230 and took er for a spin I loved it so much more then the previous mentioned, I knew for me it was sport type bikes. My brother-in-law has already tried to unsuccesfuly (Big muddy brook crossings) get me stuck while out trail riding so I can hang with them and on the trails I blow thier doors off. I can't even imagine what it would be like mounted (wouldn't one of those kill switch cords be a smart thing on it) on a 500 Quadzilla. I feel I have so much more to do to the 230 that if I got another I would be taking valuable resources (money) from getting it to what I envision (Malhombre's level). My son is almost 4 1/2 years old so I'm thinking by the time he is able to ride the 230 I will have aquired something like a Quadzilla and pass the 230 on down (of course with the option to ride it when I want) [img][/img].

Btw yesterday I went to the local dealer and obtained 3 jet sizes 190,200,210 and ended up using the 210 with the air screw turned out 2 1/2 turns the air lid on and it seems to be running well. I'm going to try today to mess with the exhaust discs and see if that makes any difference as well. I think I need to change sprocket sizes it seems pretty short geared with the 12/41(3.417 ratio), been thinking of going with the taller gearing 13/39(3.000 ratio) especially since the sprockets and chain are hurting anyway and need to be replaced.

Thanks for the replies regarding the valve job I have no idea what I am getting into and was suprised to find out from you guys posting that the valve guides are something that I can't do on my own, I figured if I can order them then I could replace them. So looks like I need to find a shop around here that can do it.

That 3 wheeler would be good for someone who just found out they are terminal and want one last thrill and just jump on it and are never heard from again....</end quote></div>

Your military right?
Should have a killer machine shop on base......
Bribe one of the machinists with some beer!!!
Couldn't think of a better use of my tax dollars![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.