Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

30hp only 250lbs, now I am gettin moist!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey my little 230 has been running like a champ and I havent really worked on it much since getting it back together. With the new power on tap the clutch is going south on me very quick so put in an order for some new fibers and heavy duty springs that should be here in the near future. I got alot of the rust out of the old gas tank but still nowhere near clean and plug up the little $4 fuel filters from Autozone in about 4hrs of riding. It is getting better but still alot of rust floating around. I ended up with a 230 main jet and the needle c-clip on the second notch from the top and the 32mm carb is doing great. It vibrates like hell when wide open and top speed but on these rocky roads seldom get it wide open so all is good. All in all the rebuild was well worth it and the sucker starts and runs like a champ. I wont allow the kids to ride it as they are way hard on things (hell I am too) and im proud of my little quad. Now im just ready for warmer weather so that I can ride more!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

30hp only 250lbs, now I am gettin moist!![img][/img]</end quote></div>

Well, if they can do a 450 that weighs 368, why not a 250 @ 250? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey, 100 pages! Woo Hoo!! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sound good bprewit! You had some good luck there with your carb... How are you with the lottery? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

..... anyhow.... my bud shows up today with the swingarm tube that was machined. It was the same size as the stock one,,, maybe a %#@ hair thicker, but not enough to warrant all the cuttin n welding I'd be doing. So, I gave him an axle from a ford 9inch to carry to the machine shop. I figure that is about as strong as steel gets, and its big too. If he can get that machined down to fit the bearings, I'll get it welded up and that should be an end to the swingarm troubles this side of eternity. Then stretching the swingarm out 4 inches is a piece of cake. (I'm happier when things are going back together rather than coming apart). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Now if I can just get hold of some big bore kit people I'll really have the ball rolling. Hmmm... should I split my cases and send my crank off??? Do I really "need" to do all that work and waiting??? Hmmm... What to do...

Old 01-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

I agree..this string is great and couldn't be for a more deserving bike!

When I came upon the 230, I couldn't believe the options. Even compared to the current bikes, this thing had it all years before! (even the 250EX is still running a drum!).

So..Before I knew it, I had another (S and E), then a spare engine, 4 spare cases, electric start..carbs, etc... I told my wife I needed parts.. but having a hard to thinking of cannibalizing so I am back on ebay and digging..looks like I will have two! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Trailblazer

Any thought to sliding a thicker, cut sleeve over the existing tube and welding on support? I plan to dig back in this weekend..at least finish the teardown and decide if I will chop/weld the existing swingarms into one...or hold out for my doner! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I thought of welding a tube over a tube, but it wouldn't add as much strength in terms of minute bending n flexing (unless you could interference fit the tubes, which sounds like a real pain in the rear to me). .... and very small amounts of bending are the enemy here, where needle bearings are concerned! A solid rod bored out is the next best thing. The best thing would probably be a really thick regualr welded tube, but I'm told those are hard to find. The stresses produced by bending and rolling the tube make for some stout stuff, but the quality of metal tends to be low, so maybe it all evens out, not sure.... Anyway, ford 9-inch rear end axle shaft seems like it would be engineered to take a lot of abuse and be resistant to twisting at least. It may even be case hardened, which would be a big +++! The absolute strongest stuff I can think of that I could weld would be the output shaft of a car/truck tranny. But I don't have one handy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

But if all you can do is weld tube over tube then that's the best you can do. It might be strong enough,,, but for me, my patience with this swingarm expired back there on the mountain, lol. One shot, one kill... I'm ending this swingarm problem for good, the first time.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Range Rover

Randy - got it for 2500, KBB i guess is 3250 on the 04' DVX 400? I've already destroyed the almost near-perfect aluminum wheels it came with (the stock ones). Has the Arctic cat nerf bars on there too (same as the pro armors). I just need the skid plates. ...Happy button! Choke on handlebars... can't ask for more than that.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.