Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

which one?

Old 05-09-2008, 04:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Gforce, that's a good deal! Gotta be a fast quad! Another rebate check well spent, lol. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

How does it handle compared to the 230? I know its wider n better shocks, but can you tell a weight difference or anything else? Or is it all good??? How's the throttle response? I've never been on one and probably never will until I buy one.

You're not gonna leave us hanging on the broken rod pics are ya??????? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

That was a steal! LOL the exhaust is worth more than the 230!!

Watch yourself on the 440's.... Change your oil AND filter every 150 miles or so, and get your valves adjusted every 5-600 miles... And since you are H2o cooled make sure your coolant is the "right" color EVERY ride..</end quote></div>

Yeah... If PG's scared of it, you better watch out! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Bruincat

i got some good news today. the guy i posted about a few pages back with the 85 230s in his kitchen, is gonna give me the parts i need to fix my case problem. i got new rings and gaskets ordered up. so JR, i know its alot of #s, but could i get the torque specs i'll need to repalce the left side case, left case cover, and what i'll need to replace the rings.

as you can tell i forgot to order the repair manual when i ordered my parts. now it wont be here in time for the rebuild.

there is also a slight chance i can get the whole quad from him for $50. if so, im gonna put my engine in his frame and swap his front shocks and all four rims & tires out for mine.</end quote></div>

Sounds good. Let me know what you need. Those little bolts on the case covers are just 8 ft-lbs. You need locktite on the inside stuff for the coils. And rings you need to hone the cylinder. Better take it to a shop to be mic-ed and honed.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

nice Z440 and a smokin deal. the Z400 is the only quad id sell my 230 for, well id also love a raptor 250 but those arent quite in my range

Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

That was a steal! LOL the exhaust is worth more than the 230!!

Watch yourself on the 440's.... Change your oil AND filter every 150 miles or so, and get your valves adjusted every 5-600 miles... And since you are H2o cooled make sure your coolant is the "right" color EVERY ride..</end quote></div>

Sound advice...I certainly will make sure all my ducks are in row before each ride! As far as I'm concerned it's modded and done and I won't be doing anything to it cept routine maintenance.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Gforce, that's a good deal! Gotta be a fast quad! Another rebate check well spent, lol. [img][/img]

How does it handle compared to the 230? I know its wider n better shocks, but can you tell a weight difference or anything else? Or is it all good??? How's the throttle response? I've never been on one and probably never will until I buy one.

You're not gonna leave us hanging on the broken rod pics are ya??????? [img][/img]</end quote></div>

I was quite suprised. I figured it would feel top heavy compared to the 230 but it doesn't. I can "slide" on it just as easily as I did on the 230 and really doesn't "feel" any taller. Of course having oodles of torque makes it even easier. I don't notice the weight difference either. I don't like using loading ramps if I don't have to because of an "incident" with ramps awhile back, so I can lift the Z400 by myself in & out from the bed of my F250. Dry weight 373lbs. As most of you know the shocks atleast on my 230 are 22 years old so yeah it's night and day difference but I'm sure the 230 w/ works shocks is impressive.

I'd say over all I can't feel a difference w/ the 400 and 230 handling wise besides the shocks, don't get me wrong tho the 230 w/ the stage 2 webcam and 260cc and performance exhaust and tm28 carb was a powerful little machine for a day and a half while it ran. I noticed the difference from about a third of a throttle on w/ the 400 it just whips me back and I hang on for dear life from that point on. I scared my inlaws, there neighbors and my wife by showing them how fast the 440 was last night on a straight dirt road in front of their house. Their neighbor said she would call the cops on me if I went by there house that fast again (she was serious) lol. [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

I will get some pics, as soon as I figure out how to get the timing chain off w/o breaking it. It's seized if you will and to get the 2nd bolt out of the timing sprocket requires me to rotate it which nothing will budge at all. Then I can tear down the rest of the motor. I don't want to break that timing chain cause I just paid $20.00 for it. I took the cam chain tensioner out and I took of the flywheel off to have access to the bottom part of the chain. I will have to some how get enough slack to make it ride off the teeth.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

nice Z440 and a smokin deal. the Z400 is the only quad id sell my 230 for, well id also love a raptor 250 but those arent quite in my range</end quote></div>

Just get the 230 to good running order and don't make the mistake I did if you modify it make sure you modify it w/ beefier parts and everything related to that mod, it is 20+ years old and even if you mod a newer one the logic still stands.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

I was quite suprised. I figured it would feel top heavy compared to the 230 but it doesn't. I can "slide" on it just as easily as I did on the 230 and really doesn't "feel" any taller. Of course having oodles of torque makes it even easier. I don't notice the weight difference either. I don't like using loading ramps if I don't have to because of an "incident" with ramps awhile back, so I can lift the Z400 by myself in & out from the bed of my F250. Dry weight 373lbs. As most of you know the shocks atleast on my 230 are 22 years old so yeah it's night and day difference but I'm sure the 230 w/ works shocks is impressive.

I'd say over all I can't feel a difference w/ the 400 and 230 handling wise besides the shocks, don't get me wrong tho the 230 w/ the stage 2 webcam and 260cc and performance exhaust and tm28 carb was a powerful little machine for a day and a half while it ran. I noticed the difference from about a third of a throttle on w/ the 400 it just whips me back and I hang on for dear life from that point on. I scared my inlaws, there neighbors and my wife by showing them how fast the 440 was last night on a straight dirt road in front of their house. Their neighbor said she would call the cops on me if I went by there house that fast again (she was serious) lol. [img][/img][img][/img]

I will get some pics, as soon as I figure out how to get the timing chain off w/o breaking it. It's seized if you will and to get the 2nd bolt out of the timing sprocket requires me to rotate it which nothing will budge at all. Then I can tear down the rest of the motor. I don't want to break that timing chain cause I just paid $20.00 for it. I took the cam chain tensioner out and I took of the flywheel off to have access to the bottom part of the chain. I will have to some how get enough slack to make it ride off the teeth.</end quote></div>

Yes, it HAS to be fast! I'm sure it close to twice the HP of the 230 and only a pack of shingles more in weight. I'm happy for you! (I was feeling crappy after your 230 didn't work out so well).

"Incident" with ramps.... LOL! I can only imagine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I just got that Lakota done a few days ago. Its 290cc and I milled the head down .050 to up the compression. I used the TM28 carb off the 230 to break it in. It weighs 459lbs dry!!! It will slide all day long! I come out of the woods in 4th gear and throw it sideways in the field no problem. But I can't wheelie to save my life. Yanking my arms out of their sockets trying. My 250lb buddy gave it a shot and couldn't get it up either. The lakota is fast, but not scarry fast. Its more like Cadillac fast. And the auto clutch takes away the throttle response. A perfect "ole lady" quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I was wondering how the throttle response is on the 400? I'm pretty sure it has the CV style carb where the engine vacuum opens the throttle. Do you notice any throttle delay compared to the 230? A friend of mine has a 350 warrior and it has a BIG throttle delay with the CV carb. I can hold it wide open and count until it finally revs out. My 230 was instant rev-out.

Won't the bolt that holds the cam sprocket come off on the 230? If you take the valve cover off, shouldn't the cam flop around with the chain slack? If there is no slack, where did it go???? That's strange....

Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34I don't like using loading ramps if I don't have to because of an "incident" with ramps awhile back.</end quote></div>

abd heres the "incident".......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxCSJ-FHQo

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.