Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

You got the 258 or the 265cc big bore? You're gettin a new rod right? I never heard of a tranny going out, have you?

Old 05-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

well my 230 is in good running order, thats how i want to keep it.

i had in incident with loading ramps before, i was loading the 230 with a flat rear tire. i was using those "ladder" style aluminum ramps and the flat tire got stuck between two bars, i gassed it and flipped me right off, no injuries or damage, but now i always use the wooden planks.

how do you guys think a stock 230 like mine would do an an MX course, ive been thinking of taking her for a track day, but i dont know how well she would do, any input?</end quote></div>

I think the shocks suck for jumping and the quad is too narrow to be turning with any speed.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bd99

Hi all I'm new here but have had my 85 lt230s for a while now. I bought it on ebay a while back with a DG RCM exhaust, Works shocks, aluminum skid plate, 1" wheel spacers on the front, had 3" spacers in the rear but it sucked in the trails so i took em off, very convenient 6 pack holder rear rack, almost new Douglas wheels, a "larger than stock" carb its a mikuni but has a sticker that says Phase Five Racing on it, the seller also told me it has a "larger than stock" cam but i have know way of knowing for sure. it starts first or second kick every time but smokes a little when cold. Ive since put new tires on the front and back; titan something or others on the front and Kenda bear claws on the rear and put on nerf bars that I rigged up off a trx250x. It was in mint condition with perfect paint all around and shiny uncracked plastics. Its still in incredible condition for its age and not having been restored but i do ride it and its not quite as shiny anymore. My problem is that ever since got it, it has a huge hesitation. if I ease into the throttle its fine but if i try to punch it hard the motor sputters until i let off and its fine again. Ive race bone stock 230s and they make me look stupid cause i have to ease into the throttle. Ive sent it to the shop several times and they have tried all kinds of jets and settings with the carb but its only a little better. I'm bidding on a stock carb on ebay now but i'm not sure if i'm just wasting money</end quote></div>

You need a richer needle for the carb you have. A stock carb is a step backwards, but should work if you want to do that.

Those bear claws will hold you back too.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

That was a steal! LOL the exhaust is worth more than the 230!!

Watch yourself on the 440's.... Change your oil AND filter every 150 miles or so, and get your valves adjusted every 5-600 miles... And since you are H2o cooled make sure your coolant is the "right" color EVERY ride..</end quote></div>

Yeah... If PG's scared of it, you better watch out! [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Dude, PG ain't scared of any thing but quadzilla!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border="0[/IMG]

I was trying to be a responsible adult and remind the youts of America, to not ride past their experience level.....

Yeah right, If I had common sense on offroad vehicles.......?????</end quote></div>

Yeah, I know, I was just joking around. [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

How about a 250r trike??? lol

Old 05-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I decided to back my 230 onto the bed of my ranger. I highly recommend NOT doing that! I almost took out the back window of my truck with the grab bar. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

Does anyone have an electrical wiring diagram for an 86' LT230

Old 05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

You need a richer needle for the carb you have. A stock carb is a step backwards, but should work if you want to do that.

Those bear claws will hold you back too.</end quote></div>

Awesome thank you for the input i will look into the larger needle. I just won the bid on the stock carb so if it still gives me problems with a richer needle i'll just put the other carb on. would a richer needle be a thinner one? and would raising the needle a clip help?. I kinda figured the tires might not be helping the situation but they are kinda necessary for where i ride. My brother had ITP Holeshots on his 300ex and we were pulling him out all the time.

Ive got another question for y'all. Is there a way i can find out what the specs of the cam i have are? is it written on the cam itself or do i have to measure the lobes or something?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got the 258 or the 265cc big bore? You're gettin a new rod right? I never heard of a tranny going out, have you?</end quote></div>

265 kit. Vince will be rebuilding the crank and no, ive never seen trans bearins come apart. But bearings are wear items. As long as its tore down to this point, its cheap insurance to replace them.

Did you know the 250 had 2 less bearings in the trans than the 230? the 250 uses a sleave on the counter shaft in place of two caged roller bearings that the 230 has.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AsaSpades

Does anyone have an electrical wiring diagram for an 86' LT230</end quote></div>

Ive got one on my other PC where i sent it to another member. If you still need it, let me know.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bd99

Those bear claws will hold you back too.</end quote></div>

Awesome thank you for the input i will look into the larger needle. I just won the bid on the stock carb so if it still gives me problems with a richer needle i'll just put the other carb on. would a richer needle be a thinner one? and would raising the needle a clip help?. I kinda figured the tires might not be helping the situation but they are kinda necessary for where i ride. My brother had ITP Holeshots on his 300ex and we were pulling him out all the time.

Ive got another question for y'all. Is there a way i can find out what the specs of the cam i have are? is it written on the cam itself or do i have to measure the lobes or something?</end quote></div>

I thought you said you took it to a shop and they already tried jets n crap... I figured they would try fooling with the needle too. Anyway, yeah,,, if you haven't tried lowering the needle clip, you should try that before buying new needle. A richer needle will be a thinner one.

Yeah, holeshots suck for anything but hardpack track racing with a big bore engine or 2-stroke. Still doesn't mean you need a 22inch or bigger 4x4 tire though.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.