Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crcmech
The reason I ask is the guy I bought the bike from put a bigger jet kit in it but left the rest of the bike stock. It runs and idles good with good power but seems like it could run better. This is my first project bike and my knowledge is minimal,but shouldn't u increase airflow,I.e. better exaust,when u go with bigger jets? When u torched your exaust did you remove it and hang it upside down?
Take the airbox lid off to increase airflow and lean it out. An exhaust is supposed to make the vacuum stronger at the carb because, during valve-overlap (the spot where both the intake and exhaust valves are open), the exhaust gases actually pull in air thru the carb. The stock exhaust is so crammed full of baffles and spark arrestor that the air can't move long enough to pull in more intake charge. However, leaving those drain bolts off the muffler will bypass the spark arrestor a little and let it breathe better. Back when I was running the stock muffler, I drilled a few more holes under there.

I took my quad for a ride until it started smoking. Then when it was good n hot, I got out the torch and roasted it right there on the quad. It took a few minutes and I was smoke-free.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
It's not lean its running rich. I'll try it, it would be nice to see this thing actually work like its supposed to.

Tonight the handle bars broke off. It looks like the PO broke them and then just brazed them back on half assed. I'm finding all kinds of neat little things with this
I'm pretty sure its lean. The plug is black because you keep using the choke.

Handlebars coming off is a common problem. Have a look at the common issues section of the vault. A few more surprises await.

My handlebars didn't come off, but someone had "fixed" them before... All crooked n that. So, I hacked that apart and welded it up straight. Now my handlebars that were bent in such a way as to be actually "straight" when mounted on the bent stem, are all screwed up. Now I need new bars.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Atvman, that vault is coming in mighty handy!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

Call me noob... where do I find the vault?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I'm pretty sure its lean. The plug is black because you keep using the choke.

Handlebars coming off is a common problem. Have a look at the common issues section of the vault. A few more surprises await.

My handlebars didn't come off, but someone had "fixed" them before... All crooked n that. So, I hacked that apart and welded it up straight. Now my handlebars that were bent in such a way as to be actually "straight" when mounted on the bent stem, are all screwed up. Now I need new bars.

The steering shaft actually broke off right below the handle bar mounting flange. I was able to grind everything flat and smooth, and MIGed it all together. It only takes a little longer to do it right, so why half *** it? People are dumb.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bear8ruf
Call me noob... where do I find the vault?
Its in Atvman's siggy... Home ?(Suzuki LT230S Vault)?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
The steering shaft actually broke off right below the handle bar mounting flange. I was able to grind everything flat and smooth, and MIGed it all together. It only takes a little longer to do it right, so why half *** it? People are dumb.
Yup, that's where they all break.

Good thing you're a welder!

When you get this thing running right and fall in love with it, you can weld up some wider a-arms and longer swingarm, lol.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

The scary part is people like this actually live among us and are considered average, everyday folks!

YouTube - Verizon Math Fail
Oh man, we just ended our contract with Verizon. They really are that dumb! I had one of their service technicians tell me to call them in a few days to make sure they were working on my problem!!! WTF?? Just do your dam job!

We got out of our contract because even though my dad lived literally 2 miles from the Verizon store, he didn't get service at his house, or at his work, which is less than a mile!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Man, I never thought tuning the stock carb could be so difficult. Are you absolutely sure there is nothing else wrong?

Another thing... In 1989 suzuki put a smaller mainjet and a richer needle in the 250S (which is basically a slightly larger version of the 230S). The new needle is the same as the 5L1.

Exactly what I was thinking just reading through all this. It seems you're having way too many problems. I have a feeling that you'll find something that's been screwing with it the whole time, and then you'll struggle trying to get it back!

That **** happens to me all the time. As soon as I get something to work under the given conditions, I find the thing that caused it in the first place and I have to undo everything!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Most guys take the airbox lid off and have to jet up a couple jets.... You've taken the whole airbox off and are wondering why its lean???? And not only that, if you want to run with no airbox, you need a velocity stack to organize the air going into the carb. You can't run a carb without anything attached to the back of it.

Put the bigger of the 2 mikuni jets in it, put the clip on the middle or richer spot on the needle, put the airbox on with a decent filter and put the lid on nice n tight and then tell me how it runs. The filter and airbox will cause carb vacuum to go thru the roof and suck out plenty of gas. Once you get it running, then you can figure out how to run it with the lid off the airbox for more power.
Sorry, but false. We got that other 230 to run without it. Albeit ran like a true pile and only started after pulling it behind the truck.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.