Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 86zuk
I adjusted my fuel ratio as you suggested. i ended up going in a bit with it. before when i cracked the trottle wide open from dead idle it would hesitate a bit and try to die for a sec, now it revvs much better. it doesnt hesitate, it doesnt try to kill the engine, it just revs. thanks for the tip. i havent ridden it enough to see if it helps with the original problem, just around the yard a little bit and ran it in my shed while making the adjustments. We shall see
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need some help

Okay this summer me and my brother fixed up our mothers old 1988 lt230e quadrunner for me to ride. We got it running good and Im happy with it.

Recently I been wanting to fix up my fathers old 1987 lt230s quadsport and i have been tinkering with it. I replaced the old and oil filter added gas and a new spark plug. Need to get a new air filter and others things to be able to ride it lol. but that aren't nessary to starting it and getting it running but not moving. I sprayed some starter fluid where the air filter should go and she fired up after like 10 years of not running lol. It ran for 4 to 5 seconds and died out after the starter fluid burned up. why won't it stay running i tried the starter fluid starts dies starter fluid die like 5 times. why won't it stay running please help me thanks. Also im not very machinally inclined eather. thanks ryan

Old 10-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hunter71495
Okay this summer me and my brother fixed up our mothers old 1988 lt230e quadrunner for me to ride. We got it running good and Im happy with it.

Recently I been wanting to fix up my fathers old 1987 lt230s quadsport and i have been tinkering with it. I replaced the old and oil filter added gas and a new spark plug. Need to get a new air filter and others things to be able to ride it lol. but that aren't nessary to starting it and getting it running but not moving. I sprayed some starter fluid where the air filter should go and she fired up after like 10 years of not running lol. It ran for 4 to 5 seconds and died out after the starter fluid burned up. why won't it stay running i tried the starter fluid starts dies starter fluid die like 5 times. why won't it stay running please help me thanks. Also im not very machinally inclined eather. thanks ryan
take the carb off and clean it real good. i mean really really good. it is possible that the needle (which control your fuel flow) and seat ( thats what the needle goes into to stop the fuel flow) have dried out and need replacing. truthfully, if its been 10 years since it ran i would rebuild the carb. but thats just me.

if taking the carb off and cleaning doesnt work then a carb rebuild is recommended. you want to take the screws out of the bottom of the carb, there should be 4 of them. and spray with carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner. spray a 10 - 15 second burst through every hole you see and look out certain holes have a problem of blowing the spray back in your face and eyes. it burns like hell fire in the eyes. if you need more help come back and all of us will do our best to bring your 230 back to life.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bashr52
Trailrider, theres an easier way to bleed them without the vacuum bleeder (Ive never cared for them). Just pump the handle a bunch of times and then hold it down while opening the bleeder. Just do that a few times until the fluid comes out clear, and then switch to the other side. Make sure the reservoir doesn't run dry on you though!
will try that soon and let you know how it works out. do i have to keep taking the screws out ? cuz thats what i hated doing.

and i had to paint another frame up. broke the crap outta my original one. dang chain flew off after a crappy landing and hit me in the back of the leg and ankle. better to hit me than the mag cover though .

Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

so i sold my 86 230s. i had redone the top end myself and while it was better it still didnt run quite right and still smoked some. last straw was when the clutch pivot(? part that sticks out of the case that the cable attaches to) popped out of the hole at idle. no idea why. someone offered me #325 for it so i sold it. picked up a 89 230e today for $250. bored out, k&n filter. new rear tires, rear shock has a remote resevoir so im pretty sure its not stock? needs a full exhaust, front brake lever, and a battery, along with a carb cleaning and a few adjustments. electric start button dosnt work, think the neutral relay is messed up, probably just bypass it for now. had it running on starter fluid a bit but it wont stay running(i blame the lack of exhaust and a dirty carb) but overall this seems like a way better base for a project, the 230s was beat, hacked up welds, bad plastics...

Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by tmcauto77
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
running better, even seems to go faster as i had it out in a straight flat field yesterday afternoon. Still not wanting to idle after 10-15 minutes of running hard. I havent tried any octane booster yet since i put that gas in though. It had no problems idling at all untill the day i filled it up though, so i pretty much figure that has to abe the problem, we'll see what happens after i run the tank through.

Another question, headlight and brakelight are really dim...strator?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 86zuk
running better, even seems to go faster as i had it out in a straight flat field yesterday afternoon. Still not wanting to idle after 10-15 minutes of running hard. I havent tried any octane booster yet since i put that gas in though. It had no problems idling at all untill the day i filled it up though, so i pretty much figure that has to abe the problem, we'll see what happens after i run the tank through.

Another question, headlight and brakelight are really dim...strator?
Get good gas, like I said I only use 92 octane. It could be the stator, wires, or low rpms. How bright does it get when you rev? If it does not brighten up to visible light, then I would check voltage at the wire at higher rpms. If voltage is low then get a new stator or maybe a good cleaning. This could also have something to do with your warm idle situation.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
will try that soon and let you know how it works out. do i have to keep taking the screws out ? cuz thats what i hated doing.

and i had to paint another frame up. broke the crap outta my original one. dang chain flew off after a crappy landing and hit me in the back of the leg and ankle. better to hit me than the mag cover though .
Ok, I hate to see a good brother down. Yes you will have to loosen the bleeder screws over and over again on each side. If you are alone the only way to bleed properly is to use a vacuum bleeder. Otherwise you will get air back in the lines and brakes will be spongy. Nobody likes soft brakes. You can buy a vacuum bleeder or make one if you have a vacuum pump of any sort or reverse a squirt bottle. It is the best way to get it done and you do not have to share your beer.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hunter71495

Trailrider230 said it best. Go through the carb thuroghly. Do not run it anymore until the carb is good to go or you will cause more issues. Also, check your petcock valve. Make sure the you are getting fuel to the carb.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

hey fellow QS lovers. i hate to interrupt your carb discussion, but ive seen some of your bikes. trailrider230s and malhombre to name a few. yall have awesome bumpers. im about to start the restomod of my 230QS and id like to get a new bumper for it among a very long list of other extras including bars, grips, possibly plastics. ive looked on RM ATV.com and DK.com and i found some plastics and others but no bumpers. where did you get yours?
another question: ive had to put new swing arm bearings on and a new left case. i see thats a common issue. ive got a new oring chain and adjusted it properly and havent had a chain jump in years. my question is, is there a preventive mod for the swing arm other than proper maintenance? i noticed a chain tensioner on one. any other ideas? thanks

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.