Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, you have to use locktite on all those screws inside the stator or it WILL come apart!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustRandy
btw, you have to use locktite on all those screws inside the stator or it WILL come apart!
Yup i used red lock tight. Do you have a solution about the spuddering?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

did you read my other post?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, guys. I'm new to this forum, and I just have a few ?'s.

I recently acquired an '86 lt230s. Came with some after market plastics, tires and a Cobra exhaust. Other than that, all I've done to it so far is added a one inch spacer to the bars. I've had a problem that I hear is kinda common with the 230. The night I got the quad, the chain snapped and threw forward in the crankcase cover--breaking it into a few pieces. (Yes, the chain was loose) I have since fixed that, and tightened the chain. Does anyone have a recommendation for a chain guard for the front sprocket? I have a friend that used a metal guard that he welded together, and that seems to work. Also, I'd like to pick up new sprockets and a chain. Would you go with an O'ring chain? And, if I'd like it to have a little more torque on the bottom end, would I take the front sprocket down a tooth? Any other recommendations for starting out? I want to take good care of this quad; I really like it. With that said, I haven't ever raced, but I like to ride hard, jump and have fun. I also have another quad (lt230e) that I'm in the process of rebuilding. Got it for extra parts, but the only thing wrong with it was a bad bearing in the rear axle; so I decided it was worth fixing. lol

Thanks, and looking forward to any comments/recommendations.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

I got a 1986 suzuki 230lts it has been sputtering and spiting when you add a a little throttle so i took apart the crab to look for crap, i found not a speck of dirt. BUT i found that the pilot screw was messing a few parts, the washer and the o-ring. would that cause it to sputter when a little throttle is applied, it almost feels like the breaks are dragging when you give it a little throttle. thanks for any imput!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by quadaholic93
Hey, guys. I'm new to this forum, and I just have a few ?'s.

I recently acquired an '86 lt230s. Came with some after market plastics, tires and a Cobra exhaust. Other than that, all I've done to it so far is added a one inch spacer to the bars. I've had a problem that I hear is kinda common with the 230. The night I got the quad, the chain snapped and threw forward in the crankcase cover--breaking it into a few pieces. (Yes, the chain was loose) I have since fixed that, and tightened the chain. Does anyone have a recommendation for a chain guard for the front sprocket? I have a friend that used a metal guard that he welded together, and that seems to work. Also, I'd like to pick up new sprockets and a chain. Would you go with an O'ring chain? And, if I'd like it to have a little more torque on the bottom end, would I take the front sprocket down a tooth? Any other recommendations for starting out? I want to take good care of this quad; I really like it. With that said, I haven't ever raced, but I like to ride hard, jump and have fun. I also have another quad (lt230e) that I'm in the process of rebuilding. Got it for extra parts, but the only thing wrong with it was a bad bearing in the rear axle; so I decided it was worth fixing. lol

Thanks, and looking forward to any comments/recommendations.

If you look around at the schematics in the oem section at bikebandit, they have a sprocket guard for a couple bucks. Basically anything that hugs the sprocket and protects the case will work.

Name:  casesaver.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  49.0 KB

Personally, I hate oring chains. They're so hard to bend, its like riding with the brakes draggin. But that's me. 95% of riders here will recomend an oring chain. They say it stays on better, but I've had them both come off.

This is the chain I like. The Primary Drive "windowed" chain for about $20 from rockymountainatv.com. Its cheap, strong, and light weight.

Name:  DCP_3207.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  74.0 KB

The only sure way of keeping the chain on is like this:

Name:  DCP_3091.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  108.3 KB
Name:  DCP_3092.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  120.6 KB

And yes, taking the front sprocket down a tooth will make more bottomend. I run 11/37

Old 11-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chris111179
I got a 1986 suzuki 230lts it has been sputtering and spiting when you add a a little throttle so i took apart the crab to look for crap, i found not a speck of dirt. BUT i found that the pilot screw was messing a few parts, the washer and the o-ring. would that cause it to sputter when a little throttle is applied, it almost feels like the breaks are dragging when you give it a little throttle. thanks for any imput!
I doubt it. Did you read my other post? About the stator?

Old 11-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I doubt it. Did you read my other post? About the stator?
Yup i read it and checked out my stator, it was fine, and to spec. I found the peaces missing in the carb and was wondering if that would cause it. also when I would get on the trottle hard to full trottle it would pop, bog, then it would rev to the moon, then you let off it goes back to suck.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone know how to pop the pivot bearings out of the swing arm? i tried to drive them out with a socket and just the needles and cages came out the races are still in there. I'm going to try and cut them out with a dremel.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

heat them up red hot then pour water on them to crack them then smash them out, or live the swing arms in the freezer for the night and pop themn out in the morning

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.