Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRandy
1.5 turns is the rule of thumb, but it has to be tuned. Its impossible for me to tell you how many turns you need. I turn the screw out until the idle goes up, then turn the idle screw down, then the mixture screw out again, then the idle screw. Keep doing that until the idle speed stops going up or if I hit 3 turns out. If it goes more than 3 turns, you need a bigger pilot jet. If you can't get it out at least a turn, you need a smaller pilot jet.
In High Alt rule of thumb is about 2.5 turns give or take a 1/4 turn

Old 11-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kameljoe21
In High Alt rule of thumb is about 2.5 turns give or take a 1/4 turn
Never heard of a high altitude rule of thumb lol. That would be an air screw and not a fuel screw. Fuel screws are at the front of the carb while air screws are at the back.

I think the reason 1.5 turns is what you aim for is that gives you the most room for adjustment in either direction later. Once you go 3 turns or so, the spring isn't tight enough to keep the screw from coming out. Also, more than 3 turns doesn't change the mixture much.... as you can see in the graph:

Name:  vmmanual.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  23.9 KB

Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

So looks like I have to replace the valve seals because it smokes on the first start up of the day and then goes away. I thought at first it was just oil in the top end from me having the engine on its side as I worked on it but its not as the same thing happened today. Anyone have a guide for taking the top end apart?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the problem has gotten worse me stator is in spec and checked by a mechanic, is their wires that if shorted or disconnected would cause it to sputter when you give it gas. now when you get on the throttle hard it wont rev up. the fuel screw dont do notting ive gottin to idle perfecto. but as soon as you give it has it seames like the breaks are on and it also goes when its accerating, pop, pop, sputter sputter pop pop ect then it stops when you it 3/4 throttle. but it barely has a nuf power to make it up the medium hill that i have at my house, befor i could go up it at like 1/8 throttle, and at 1/2 throttle it would clear the landing ramp. Please help my trip is now on thursday

Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Just my two cents but when you say it doesn't move when you hit the throttle, are you sure the clutch is engaging and disengaging all the way? If it wont pull back in, it will seam like the brakes are on. Did you try moving the little washer thing down one on the needle of the throttle?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by tomgodair
Just my two cents but when you say it doesn't move when you hit the throttle, are you sure the clutch is engaging and disengaging all the way? If it wont pull back in, it will seam like the brakes are on. Did you try moving the little washer thing down one on the needle of the throttle?
the clutch is fine it engages and disengages perfect its the motor thats doing it, you can tell because it chugs. like its running WAY to rich or WAY to lean but it did blow some black smoke when i rev it up to WOT.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Did you try moving the needle washer down? Also, have you checked for air leaks in the carb boots?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

Did you try moving the needle washer down? Also, have you checked for air leaks in the carb boots?
Whats the needle washer? how do i check for air leaks?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

"With the carb on the bike and the bike running, spray a small amount of carb cleaner into the hole. If it is sucking in air, you will hear the RPMs change when you spray. You can also spray it around different areas such as the boot that attaches the carb to the head to check for air leaks."

Heres a pic of the carb:
http://cdn.cheapcycleparts.com/image...985-1988_8.png

its numbers 14, 13, and 12 in the picture that you are looking at working on. You want to move the little washer down on the needle.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

"With the carb on the bike and the bike running, spray a small amount of carb cleaner into the hole. If it is sucking in air, you will hear the RPMs change when you spray. You can also spray it around different areas such as the boot that attaches the carb to the head to check for air leaks."

Heres a pic of the carb:
http://cdn.cheapcycleparts.com/image...985-1988_8.png

its numbers 14, 13, and 12 in the picture that you are looking at working on. You want to move the little washer down on the needle.
ok ill try that tommarow do you know any wires that would cause it cause i had a problem with that on anther wheeler.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.