Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You ever paint aluminum? I'm gonna paint my "ugly" gold rims this spring since they are in good shape yet, I just don't like the gold and I never have I don't understand why suzuki would have done that lol. Orange bike with gold rims? Come on!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i havent. i like the gold lol. ive always liked that. dont know why. it is a weird combination. but oh man, do i LOVE the way they look with my colors now. ive been pretty good at keeping the rocks away from them. ive put a couple scars on them but i took the bends out with a heel bar. besides, theyre light lol

Old 03-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
if you can get it to idle. spray carb cleaner around the boot where it connects to the jug. if its leaking it should idle up and die. there is an O-ring that seals the boot to the cylinder. i have seen them crack and go bad. the boot itself usually doesnt rip. i know on the S model most of the boot is hard, its only soft where the carb clamp is. but it does seem like a lack of vaccum or suction.
well i tested the idle with carb cleaner and it idled up a bit but not much and never died. however im still gonna change the seals since i have em. Also i noticed today when starting it cold and holding my hand over the carb there was gas all over my hand from the back side of the carb. Should it be doing that? ive never seen gas in the airbox but it looks like its pushing gas backwards towards the airbox.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by judas009
well i tested the idle with carb cleaner and it idled up a bit but not much and never died. however im still gonna change the seals since i have em. Also i noticed today when starting it cold and holding my hand over the carb there was gas all over my hand from the back side of the carb. Should it be doing that? ive never seen gas in the airbox but it looks like its pushing gas backwards towards the airbox.
well its leakin alright, just not enough to kill it. so now we know the carb boot o-ring is leakin. now it sounds like you re gettin too much gas.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
well its leakin alright, just not enough to kill it. so now we know the carb boot o-ring is leakin. now it sounds like you re gettin too much gas.
yea that prolly explains why it pops at idle and and revs up and down a lot. it ;likes to idle rough with up and down revs then die on me lol, my idle sucks but it runs quite well when its moving. maybe has something to do with the main jet i drilled? ive got a spare stock main jet i might try switching it out and see if it does anything. i cant get the dang phillips head screws off the intake boot. would it be bad to use a screw extractor since the are attached to the cylinder?

EDIT:

i just had a thought! When i got the bike this clear plastic piece was broken to pieces and i couldnt figure out its use so i just said screw it and threw it into the garbage and never thought of it again. Later i discovered it was the it is part of the air cleaner system! number 19 on the diagram: http://216.37.204.203/Suzuki_OEM/Suz...pe=13&A=14&B=1

well just today i held my hand over the tube that this air cleaner connects to and the bike fired up cold in just a crank or two. i bet since im riding with a big wide hole basically running straight into the airbox, that its causing a lot of leaning conditions which probably caused some of my starting issues and my backfiring poblems! i think im gonna order one and see if it helps lol.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

hay yall,...spent few hours playin with my frankin'quad today,..got it to run for a spell today,real fast idle with whats left of choke cable pulled up,...but crack the throttle an it go to poping out the tail pipe??? think this is happing because of broke off choke cable suckin air causeing a lean condition,..so im in the market for a choke cable for a m-20 carb(lt160).....spent rest of time tighting bolts an checkin other stuff on it fixin a oil leak on the neutral switch,..really hopin to get this thing runnin,most exighted my 7 year old son has ever been!!

Old 03-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Bigcam go to any online OEM parts supplier then type in your lt160 info. Go to carborator then get the choke cable.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

okay guys we have a problem...

we were riding around yesterday at coalhill , in trevorton, pa. My lt230e was doing pretty well. I had a problem when i went to start it. It wouldn't start. It did it 2 times while other times it started on the first try. I learned to turn fuel petycock off when i stop or else i have problems with it being flooded, when i go to restart it. Im wondering what the problem is there ?
Then i was like half a mile from home and all of a sudden it died. We were going along good, 5th gear crusing (not at full speed) and its like i turned the run switch of. Though i did not. Im thinking its a fuel problem because we tried to pop the clutch and it started and died so it couldn't be bad engine. Neutral light and tail light work, also the electric start, turns over but won't fire up thus it can't be electrical problem. To get home i had my buddy i was riding with pull me with his sportsmen 800 and yea. Im kinda confused with carb and stuff so i need some help... Thanks Ryan

Old 03-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hunter71495
okay guys we have a problem...

we were riding around yesterday at coalhill , in trevorton, pa. My lt230e was doing pretty well. I had a problem when i went to start it. It wouldn't start. It did it 2 times while other times it started on the first try. I learned to turn fuel petycock off when i stop or else i have problems with it being flooded, when i go to restart it. Im wondering what the problem is there ?
Then i was like half a mile from home and all of a sudden it died. We were going along good, 5th gear crusing (not at full speed) and its like i turned the run switch of. Though i did not. Im thinking its a fuel problem because we tried to pop the clutch and it started and died so it couldn't be bad engine. Neutral light and tail light work, also the electric start, turns over but won't fire up thus it can't be electrical problem. To get home i had my buddy i was riding with pull me with his sportsmen 800 and yea. Im kinda confused with carb and stuff so i need some help... Thanks Ryan
mighta fould a plug from flooding it???

Old 03-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bigcam400
mighta fould a plug from flooding it???
after i put message down i though i fowled a plug but wasn't sure. Its cold here today and i had stuff to do so i didn't get to check it yet. I will tommorow though.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.