Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not after its started I can't think of any other than the one you checked.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

The second jet hole that connects to the air filter boot on the carb, is there supposed to be a roundish gold thing in there?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yes its a factory plugged port.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 88' lt230s questions

Hello there!!I just joined the forum today and i am trying to figure out how to use it and most of all find some answers to my questions on a rebuild of a 88' 230.I just picked it up for cheap money,runs great but when filled with oil it smokes so bad you cant see who's behind you.oil is actually coming out of the exhaust!!!I pulled the top end apart yesterday and noticed it has wiseco 20 over piston wich looks good.The cylinder does not have any scoring and the rings look good too.I did notice the intake rocker arm is worn down pretty good and some light scoring on the cam journals.Can the journals be fixed(light sanding?).I do plan on replacing the cam and rockers.And hoping the oil leak is the valve seals.I have rebuilt many car engines but am new to the atv world.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks warren

Old 11-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Don't over fill the oil it will probably really smoke and its probably the valves esp if the smoke goes away after a little bit. The valve seals come with a new gasket kit. Also, what color is the smoke, it could just be gas burning off.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now i have narrowed down my problem after a day of jetting and tuning nothing changed it went up in jets and down in jets, My pilot screw was probuly turned more it those 1 and a half hours than it has every turned. LOL . Now i figured out when you first start it up it idles like a champ. but when you give it some gas in gear it spudderes untill it goes up to a certain rpm like at just below 1/4 throttle, but after it gets warm (20-30Mins) it starts to sputter all throught the throttle. like it has NO power. the stator checked out again ok. i think it might be a loose wire sum were or the distributator might be getting to warm. or the coil, what do you think.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your response.When i got the quad i did no realize that oil was not even registering in the sight window.I then drained the oil,not much came out.Refilled to the proper amount and the smoke show began.The oil was dripping out of the connection between the muffler and front pipe.The top of the piston was clean and the plug was not fouled

Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalifornia
Thanks for your response.When i got the quad i did no realize that oil was not even registering in the sight window.I then drained the oil,not much came out.Refilled to the proper amount and the smoke show began.The oil was dripping out of the connection between the muffler and front pipe.The top of the piston was clean and the plug was not fouled
sounds like leaky valve seals or rings to me. i would try tearing it down to see whats going on. and pull the exhaust and clean it out. if there is oil in the exhaust, odds are its everywhere in there, it can be trapped in the baffles or laying in the mid pipe area. the exhaust is only hot enough to burn out the oil near the head and header. mid pipe to muffler it may lay there maybe boil and turn into a tar-like mess.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default noobi to the forum...looking for some lt230s info.

hello all, new guy on these forums with a few questions on an 87 lt230s quadsport. im picking one up this weekend for the just right price of 200 bucks. the thing runs good, smokes a little bit when first started and cold, but when warmed up, it goes away. no ticking in the topend, no knocking in the bottom end, clutch seems to be pretty good, shifts fine, but i will still be pulling the motor and tearing it down to rebuild it. the plastics are beat, looks like something doc frankenstien would have. rear fenders have multiple cracks in them that are ziptied together, fronts have been cut sorta like qracer aftermarkets, headlight shell is cracked and also ziptied together, so i will be looking to get new plastics for it also. the thing is basically a stock, white, beatup qsport. i had an 86 quadsport, brand new off the showroom floor when i was a kid, and i had a viper hurricane kit installed in it before i took it home. cant quite remember what the kit entailed, but it gave it a noticable punch compared to my cousins 85 he had.

my questions are...
1.) i wanna give this motor some punch. this is what i was thinking of doing to it. bore cylinder and new piston, port and polish the head, new cam and valves with springs, perhaps lighten the crank, timing chain, intake and carb, custom fab an aluminum airbox for it, an aftermarket pipe and silencer, new clutch kit in the bottom, and while i have the cases split, new bearings and seals.

what kind of performance parts are availible for this model? as in parts i mentioned above...

2.) i'm looking to go with an old school flat track racing look on this rebuild, so i want to do whatever i can to mod the suspension. i am thinking of widening the front a few inches and lowering it down, are there any aftermarket extended a-arms availible for these? what kind of shocks are availible as well? if i have to i guess i can fab some custom parts if need be, but would rather buy them already to bolt on and go.
in the rear i would like to extend the swinger and widen the axle. are there any aftermarket swingarms availible, as well as axles? or is extending the stock arm and wheelspacers the only way to go? are there any kind of adjustable rear shock mounts availible as well? like i said, i can fab if i have to, but would rather just buy the parts to do it and bolt them on.

3.) plastic plastic plastic!!! every inch of the plastic needs to be replaced. front fenders, rear and headlight shell. are these still availible by any chance either thru suzuki or maier, maybe bigdawgs? i more then likely wont be using the headligth setup on it, but would still like to have it just incase. i would be sticking with the white color it is now, so no worry about finding them in another color, like black, blue, or whatever.

4.) rims and tires... want to go with new itps all the way around, and either a full set of hoosier tri-tracs, american racers, or the kings tt's. what bolt pattern do i need to get for the rims front and back? 10 inch rims fit all the way around correct?

now a friend told me that possibly quadracer front arms, and rear axle might work on these, but he is not 100% sure on that. does anyone know if this is true or not? if so i should be able to go and get a set of extended arms and a durablue axle for the racer to fit on this bike which would be awesome.

well, i have no pics as of yet, like i said i am picking it up this weekend. but if will post some up when i get it and get it in the garage and on the operating table. thinking of going with a charcoal aluminum powdercoat color on the frame, silver metalic on the arms, swinger, bars. white plastics. and suzuki blue highlights, meaning seatcover (have an oldschool nos one that has suzuki printed on the sides in white), grips, hubs, perhaps motor, and if ican find them.. decals.

i will going thru everything on this bike, every nut and bolt. i love to restore and mod the older bikes, im just a vintage type of person. they are alot simpler and easier to work on in my opinion then the newer rides of today, plus they bring back alot of memories and nostalgia for me seeing is how this is the era i grew up in and learned how to ride.

any ideas, suggestions, whatever, is greatly appreciated. point me in the right direct please!! and thanks for reading. stay tuned for the resto thread once i begin.

thanks,
scott

Old 12-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the sight, and thats pretty cheap for a quadsport that needs valve seals and plastics.

You can use quadsport 250s a-arms in the front. They are longer. The only thing you have to do is cut the mounts. Heres how to do it:
LT250S A-Arm Mod - Suzuki LT230S Vault

Also, the rear axle of a quadracer from an 87-89 will fit and extend the length of the rear I think by like 5-10 inches (I can't remember).

If you want better suspension, work shocks are the best, but a couple of people around here have a used a warrior rear shock and lt250s quadsp shocks in the front.

Some person on the forum was able to get the lt250r swing arm installed on the 230, not sure who it was or how they did it. Plastics can be bought from maier. I have brand new white one's from them.
Here's the plastics I got. You can choose the color once you click on the plastics.
LT230S QuadSport | Maier USA

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.