Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

86zuk, looks great, im jealous. i hope mine turns out that good.

i got the shifter in monday and half my parts in today. tusk handlebars, hood, shock covers, 12/39 sprockets, and LSR brake block off. i hope to get to the shop friday and prep the a-arms, spindle, steering stem, and tie rods for paint. id like to get my front tires on both bikes though. anyway, ive got so much work ahead of me this next month its ridiculous.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Guys, new to the site and quads. Found this thread while searching for information and was able to find alot of useful info.

I just picked up an 86 LT230 Sport last night and have started to work on getting it to run. I know the previous owner well and the quad has sat for a few years now. As it sat the quad wouldn't start so I started by removing and cleaning the carb, setting the bowl height and resetting the pilot and idle screw to two turns out. Next I reset the valve lash, cleaned the spark plug and verified the plug is firing. Put everything back together and put in some new gas and withing a few kicks was able to get the motor to fire with the choke in winter mode. Once started I wasn't able to shut the choke off without the motor dying. I tried adjusting the idle screw and the pilot screw to no avail. While the engine was running with the choke on it sputtering and popped out of the exhaust until it shut off on its own. Never succeed in getting the motor to idle for more than 10 to 20 seconds. Any and all help would be greatly appreciate!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My91Ranger
Hey Guys, new to the site and quads. Found this thread while searching for information and was able to find alot of useful info.

I just picked up an 86 LT230 Sport last night and have started to work on getting it to run. I know the previous owner well and the quad has sat for a few years now. As it sat the quad wouldn't start so I started by removing and cleaning the carb, setting the bowl height and resetting the pilot and idle screw to two turns out. Next I reset the valve lash, cleaned the spark plug and verified the plug is firing. Put everything back together and put in some new gas and withing a few kicks was able to get the motor to fire with the choke in winter mode. Once started I wasn't able to shut the choke off without the motor dying. I tried adjusting the idle screw and the pilot screw to no avail. While the engine was running with the choke on it sputtering and popped out of the exhaust until it shut off on its own. Never succeed in getting the motor to idle for more than 10 to 20 seconds. Any and all help would be greatly appreciate!
how long did you let it warm up? My 86 was a pain til it got warm.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I let it warm up as long as it would stay running. The motor would slowly start to idle higher as it warmed up so I would decrease the amount of choke, but no matter what I changed it wouldn't idle for more than 20 seconds or so.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by My91Ranger
I let it warm up as long as it would stay running. The motor would slowly start to idle higher as it warmed up so I would decrease the amount of choke, but no matter what I changed it wouldn't idle for more than 20 seconds or so.
if you re sure the valve lash is correct, i would say there is still dirt in the carb. or you intake boot has a rip in it, that would cause it to pop out the exhaust. i have an extra working carb if you think you need it and i have the intake boot also.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

Does anyone on here need a rear shock? i have one the works perfect and all its doing is collecting dust. i have several other parts also. i have a almost complete block too. no cracks or repairs on it. here is a pic of the left side engine half.

Attached Thumbnails 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.-dscn0505.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just bought 1986 230s yesterday, Looks ok for its age, but has been rigged abit. First the engine was changed to a 250 don't know the year of engine. The problem is once the engine warms up and you shut it off or let it die out, its next to impossible to get it started again.I took the plug out it kind of black and sooty, I figure its to rich so maybe the jet is to big,The reason I say that is, All the adjustment were turn all the way in and didnt affect the way it ran.It won't idle,then I noticed that there is alot of black soot by the exhaust side of cylinder and saw that one of the studs was broke off, I think that its losing back pressure and the starting when hot is because of that to. But I could some advice on this bike, thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

hey guys i have an 85 lt230GE and i just recently got it tuned right and its running alright now. However i have a small oil leak coming from the shifter shaft. i read that the oil seal is probably bad and its really easy to replace but what i want to know is if i may have put the wrong oil in the machine? i know on the right side of the crankcase where the clutch is that it demands 10w-40 oil, so that's what i filled it up with. but on the left side of the crankcase it looked like another hole for oil. so i filled it up with 10W-40 as well. but what im thinking now is that maybe that hole should have been filled with transmission fluid and in turn could also be causing the leak from the shifter shaft? so if i do need to put tranny fluid in that hole on the left side of the crankcase what type of tranny fluid needs to go in there and how would i drain the left side of the oil? i know there is an oil drain plug on the bottom of the bike but i don't know if that's for left, right, or both sides? also if it helps the hole on the left side is also where you look down into the for the "T" to help you tell when you are at top dead center. anyways thanks for any help. if you need pictures let me know and ill try and grab some today.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys! Just thought I'd drop in and say hi. I've been wicked busy lately and haven't had a chance to update the site in a while, but hopefully I'll have a chance soon.

Anyways, what's new??

Thanks for the link in your sig Trailrider!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Hey guys! Just thought I'd drop in and say hi. I've been wicked busy lately and haven't had a chance to update the site in a while, but hopefully I'll have a chance soon.

Anyways, what's new??

Thanks for the link in your sig Trailrider!
No prob man, glad to hear from ya. thought you might've dropped off the planet there for a while, lol.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.