Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been so damn busy, the last time I had the 230 out was back in September I think..... Anyway, it is sitting in my shed, and I've gone out twice lately and tried to start it. It's a bitch when cold! I've got it to pop off a few times by pouring some gas directly into the cylinder, but it wont stay running on its own. I had this problem before and moved it into my basement and let it warm up a bit, and then it runs fine. Does anyone else have an issue starting their 230 when the engine is really cold soaked?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by bashr52
I've been so damn busy, the last time I had the 230 out was back in September I think..... Anyway, it is sitting in my shed, and I've gone out twice lately and tried to start it. It's a bitch when cold! I've got it to pop off a few times by pouring some gas directly into the cylinder, but it wont stay running on its own. I had this problem before and moved it into my basement and let it warm up a bit, and then it runs fine. Does anyone else have an issue starting their 230 when the engine is really cold soaked?
yeah i do, my wont start cold even with choke unless i pour some gas down into the cylinder or spray some starter fluid in there. i been trying to find out why but no luck so far, you would think with me living in florida it should start no problem even without the choke. but sadly this is not the case.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bashr52
It takes quite a few kicks to get mine going, probably 10-15 before it pops off and acts like it might run. then just have a few more kicks of fiddling with the choke to get it running, but you have to keep your hand on the throttle to keep it running for a rew minutes before it will stay running on its own. It does help to heat up the shed first, but i usually dont since the heat all goes out the door as soon as i open it.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer

few more pics from this weekend, found a mud hole hiding out in a ditch under the snow too... wasnt expecting that, sure was a fun suprise lol, also got stuck going up a steep hill on a narrow trail when i lost traction in the snow, didnt have enough speed to carry me all the way up and killed it. luckily the little booger is light enough i was able to lift the back end up and push it the rest of the way up the hill haha

Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys im back, i haven't been on for awhile lol. well ever since the beginning of winter my garage has been colder then the Artic Circle around 0'F lol and my garage isn't heated so yea, its cold. I haven't run my lt230e since about mid Nov. When i put it away i was having problems with the carberator. Well it all started back in summer when we (my older brother and I) fixed it up. Its a 1988 lt230e we changed fluids, swing arm bearing, axle bearings, air filter, new rear sproket and fixed an electrical problem in reverse relay or something like that. He cleaned the carb and ****. We then got her running pretty well, except the crazy erratic idle. Took her to coalhill for weekend and wore out chain, so i got a new one and put it on. So went back the next weeks and broke a lower ball joint, and replaced that. Well then figured it was time to clean carb again, and my brother didn't think i was capiable, so i gave it to one of my friends fathers and he gave it to a friend to clean(hes a machanic). Well i got it back from him a few days later and he said he cleaned it and some of the pins were bent so he tried to straighten them the best he could. Well then i put it back on and it ran the same as before. My neighbor came over (hes knowledgeable but not a MECHANIC (IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)) he helped me with the carberator idle by adjusting the air and fuel screws because the idle screw did nothing when turned. Well about a week later i started having problems with it not wanting to start, like it was flooded. It happened that night and pissed me off and then finally started and i drove it home it prolly took an hour of me tring to start it every now and then (prolly like 10 times). I didn't drive it for the next few days and yea. My friends came over and i went to go o their house on it and it wouldn't start. I tried changing the spark plug and made sure it was sparking and it was. It was turning over but just wouldn't fire up. We finally got it to fire up and we were on our way to his house and i stoped to show him a hill climb i made prev. I shut off the engine and it would start so then finally got it to fire up after dicking with it and went to his house. Then went to leave his house and it would start and he was just about to tow me home when it fired up. After that i pretty muched parked it and here i am now.
Whats the problem with it? lol i was thinking
1) the carb needs rebuild
2) i need a new carb
3) i need my carb re-adjusted
4) (other i have no idea lol)

can you please tell me whats wrong with my carb???
thats about it (sorry for making it so long lol) Thanks Ryan

Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hunter71495
Hey guys im back, i haven't been on for awhile lol. well ever since the beginning of winter my garage has been colder then the Artic Circle around 0'F lol and my garage isn't heated so yea, its cold. I haven't run my lt230e since about mid Nov. When i put it away i was having problems with the carberator. Well it all started back in summer when we (my older brother and I) fixed it up. Its a 1988 lt230e we changed fluids, swing arm bearing, axle bearings, air filter, new rear sproket and fixed an electrical problem in reverse relay or something like that. He cleaned the carb and ****. We then got her running pretty well, except the crazy erratic idle. Took her to coalhill for weekend and wore out chain, so i got a new one and put it on. So went back the next weeks and broke a lower ball joint, and replaced that. Well then figured it was time to clean carb again, and my brother didn't think i was capiable, so i gave it to one of my friends fathers and he gave it to a friend to clean(hes a machanic). Well i got it back from him a few days later and he said he cleaned it and some of the pins were bent so he tried to straighten them the best he could. Well then i put it back on and it ran the same as before. My neighbor came over (hes knowledgeable but not a MECHANIC (IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)) he helped me with the carberator idle by adjusting the air and fuel screws because the idle screw did nothing when turned. Well about a week later i started having problems with it not wanting to start, like it was flooded. It happened that night and pissed me off and then finally started and i drove it home it prolly took an hour of me tring to start it every now and then (prolly like 10 times). I didn't drive it for the next few days and yea. My friends came over and i went to go o their house on it and it wouldn't start. I tried changing the spark plug and made sure it was sparking and it was. It was turning over but just wouldn't fire up. We finally got it to fire up and we were on our way to his house and i stoped to show him a hill climb i made prev. I shut off the engine and it would start so then finally got it to fire up after dicking with it and went to his house. Then went to leave his house and it would start and he was just about to tow me home when it fired up. After that i pretty muched parked it and here i am now.
Whats the problem with it? lol i was thinking
1) the carb needs rebuild
2) i need a new carb
3) i need my carb re-adjusted
4) (other i have no idea lol)

can you please tell me whats wrong with my carb???
thats about it (sorry for making it so long lol) Thanks Ryan
i have an extra 230s carb if you need it. works fine just needs a choke lever for it, its like $2 or $3 for the lever. and it does need a choke cable so it'll save you money on that. PM me if you're interested.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer

dude you have the sickest lt230s i have ever seen lol had to put that lol

but what do you think is wrong with it?

are the lt230e and lt230s carbs interchangable?

how much do you want for the carb?

thanks

Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

dude you have the sickest lt230s i have ever seen lol had to put that lol

but what do you think is wrong with it?

are the lt230e and lt230s carbs interchangable?

how much do you want for the carb?

thanks
thanks, i have put alot of time in my 230. and yes the the 230s carb will work. there are no carbs on ebay right now, what do you think you could pay for it? the shipping is going to be about $5.75 with insurance on it. i will even clean it up for you also, since i ran it on my 230 this past summer. i can give you a better deal han ebay thats for sure. it'll have the throttle cable with it and the intake boot. i know E model 230's have a cable for the choke that's the only difference i know of between an S model and E model.

i think you have a carb issue personally.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

the carb you have is it dialed in?
um i have no clue what to offer on the carb. give me a number
and what do you mean by you think its a carb issue? (like air and fuel mixture?)

Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

the carb you have is it dialed in?
um i have no clue what to offer on the carb. give me a number
and what do you mean by you think its a carb issue? (like air and fuel mixture?)
yes the carb i have is set correct.

the carb issue could be that when one of the people who tinkered with it might have over tightened the mixture needle and broke the tip off in the carb. thats why it may be not adjusting right and it may explain the erratic idle and no wanting to start. it could be one of a dozen things that is wrong with the carb.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.