Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Larger tires for Q.Runner 250 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2000, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wanting to put a little larger tire on the front of my 2000 250 4x4 QuadRunner to give it a little more ground clearance. I asked the service manager at the dealership about it, and he said it would mess up the front end and transmission. According to him, you can't exceed the height of the stock tires in the front which are 22x8x10 but going wider would be fine. However, I want the clearance so width won't do me much good. He said it does something to the cams in the front differential. Has anyone had any experience with larger tires on this machine or know something about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-19-2000, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

As far as I know you can't change the size of the front tires while leaving the rear tires the same because you'll be putting a bind on your running gear. your front & rear diff's are geared for the size tires that comes stock on the quad. I'm just going on what I've read in other post & can't promise I'm right. I figured I'd post something since you're not getting any other replies. Also your 250 will lose power if you go with bigger tires, which is why I'm not putting larger than stock tires on my King Quad.

good luck!

Old 03-19-2000, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Hey TickMagnet,

Thanks for the advice my friend! I was beginning to wonder if this was a taboo subject or something since I haden't had any other responses. What I was going to do was just replace the original tires with something very similar because I want to keep the ride as smooth as possible. I'm starting to get some pretty good wear on the stock tires, so I thought I would go ahead and buy the replacements now. The stock Dunlops in the rear are KT825M's which measure 25x12x10 and the and the ones on the front KT821's which are 22x8x10. I looked around and couldn't find the exact replacement for the rear. When I finally inquired as to why the was, I was informed that the KT825M's are a tire that Dunlop makes exclusively for Suzuki. Obviously, that means when it comes time to replace them, they'll stick it to ya' on the cost. Sooooo......I was ging to go with Titan 489's on the rear which would be the same height back an inch narrower. However, the matching 489 fronts would be 23x8x10. In other words, I'd loose two inches of width in the rear, but gain an inch of ground clearance in the front. My 250 is by no means overflowing with power which is another reason I didn't want to go with something that has a heavier lug like Swamper's or Vampires.

Anyhow, do you still think that just going with an inch taller tire in the front would cause problems? You mentioned the gearing, but I'd be going a little lighter in the rear due to the decrease in width.

Thanks,
KIRBY

2000 250 Quadrunner 4x4
2000 Kawasaki Prairie 300 2x4

Old 03-19-2000, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

There's so many catagories in this forum it's easy for a post to get passed over. I've gotten good advice here & there's a lot of friendly experienced riders here that like to help out. I have a post that hasn't been answered yet also, if it don't I'll post it in the tires section, where it oughta be anyways I suppose. As far as tires fer your 250 4x4, if you want a good all around tire with at least SOME mudding ability the Kenda Bear Claw seems a good choice as they'll get you through all but the really skag-nastiest deep mudd.They cost way less than Vampires and the like (to me anyways). Another plus is they make them in the exact size you need (22x8-10 front, 25x10-12 rear<I know you said 25x12-10 but I think you meant 25x10-12 right?>) pick up a copy of Dirt Wheels or search online to check them out.

I really really wouldn't change your rear to front tire size ratio, I'd sacrifice the inch of clearance before risking damage to my machine. Myself, I plan on putting Titan 589's in the rear, not sure what to do for the front, all I know is I gotta have a good mudder that won't clog up or beat me to death on the trail. I've been told I'll have to sacrifice one for the other, I guess I'm just stubborn <g>

Old 03-19-2000, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Greetings Tick Mag.,

Actually, I do have 25x12x10's on the rear. Pretty wide huh???? That's what factory put's on the 250 4x4's these days. I have looked at the Bear Claws as a posibility as well. They have the correct size for the front, but a 25x12.50x10 for the rear. After your first email I started thinking about getting a set of those. The only thing I am concerned about is how much they weigh. Like you mentioned, I don't want a decrease in the power. Most of the tires with the deeper lugs are heavy. Let me know what you think about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
KIRBY

Old 03-20-2000, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

We run stock sized Bearclaws on Douglas .190 aluminum rims on our Suzuki 250 4x4. In turns them fine for trail riding, mud, or anything. It completely transformed the quad from always being stuck to going almost anywhere, deep, shallow, steep, rocks or anything. I highly reccamend them.

In case your are wondering why we got new rims too, it's because they ones that were on there were 10 years old at the time and leaking air. The new rims are off-set making the quad wider, which greatly increased stability.

Old 03-20-2000, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

There ya go Kirb, looks like Quad Man confirmed that Bear Claws are a good choice! Please note! I checked Suzuki's website, the 2000 Quadrunner 4x4 250 comes stock with 25x10-12rear tires, I know you said again that your rear tires are 12x12-10, but before you buy tires humor me and double check <g>. take yer time, research other tires, ask around before you buy, but Bear Claws might be your tire. Oh, you sed yer worried about weight, I don't think Bear claws are that much heavier than stock to make a difference to your engine. Vamps or TriClaws etc. might, but not the BC's. I might put 24x8-11 BC's on the front of my King Quad to go with the 25x10-12 Titan 589's I put on the rear.

Old 03-20-2000, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

Hey TickMagnet and Quad_Man,

Thanks a ton for yall's help. You've talked me into the Bear Claws! I'm going to go ahead and order them tomorrow. Sounds like the right choice.

TickMag., I just went out to the garage and double-checked the size of my Dunlops on the rear, and they are 25x12x10's. Strange huh??? I don't know, but that's what the owners manuel as well. In that case I'm going to have to go with 12x12.50x10's in the Bear Claws for the rear. Take good care!!!!!!!!!!

KIRBY

Old 03-21-2000, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

kawazukikirby man,
Whats happening? I am a kawasaki man - Bayou 300 - with realter a/t 25x12after market tires on the rear and stock dunlop 22's on the front. I believe that a little more agressive lug pattern may be of benefit to your quad 250. I know your a "stock" kind of guy, but when you see other atv's with super swampers and stuff like that strapped on you get that feeling don't you........maybe if I had those I too could go further and cross deeper mudholes! Hey man we've crossed some mean stuff so far, and the 'zuki' has always met the challenge.....and thats with stock tires only. Just think what a more agressive tire could do for that zuki.........do I see a lift kit in the future? This could be fun....maybe I need a lift kit so I can keep up with ya!

your boggin buddy ,
bayouboogie