Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Originally posted by: mywifesquad
I get it now! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I didnt think the 7.3 was a dog. Ive heard the 6.0 wont last as long.
Hard to say. Ya never know until the engines are out there for a while.

I believe they are going to replace the 6.0 with a 6.4 or 6.6 Twin Turbo (series plumbed) here shortly. So the sales lifetime will be short ('03-'06 or '07) for the 6.0.
I don't think any of the newer oil burners are bad engines. You will have issues with them all and have great experences with all. Most all vehicles will have little issues that are commom to that vehicle. The engines aren't turds like the early GM's were. I believe those days are over.........

Old 05-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: Trasher
Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Originally posted by: mywifesquad
I get it now! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I didnt think the 7.3 was a dog. Ive heard the 6.0 wont last as long.
Hard to say. Ya never know until the engines are out there for a while.

I believe they are going to replace the 6.0 with a 6.4 or 6.6 Twin Turbo (series plumbed) here shortly. So the sales lifetime will be short ('03-'06 or '07) for the 6.0.
I don't think any of the newer oil burners are bad engines. You will have issues with them all and have great experences with all. Most all vehicles will have little issues that are commom to that vehicle. The engines aren't turds like the early GM's were. I believe those days are over.........
The manuf. can't afford another "turd" engine.

I had people dog my Daewoo I had. Calling it junk, garbage, etc. I guess because they came from Korea. In the 4 years I had her (granted, only 28K miles) the only problem I ever had that I would call a defect was the a/c control panel. There was one recall for the brakes. Just regular maintenance and she did great. Would have liked better mileage, but hey, wouldn't we all? (They won a J.D. Power award for initial quality for '01, IIRC.)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Today has been one of those days.

Cell phone rings on way to work, it's office...hey, it's only 5 after 8, they usually don't call this early. Seems people are having issues with MS Outlook. Hmm. Not good. But they were able to log on to their computers, so it's not the server. I get to work, start looking around. Check the server. Weird. Log files are gone. Hmmm. A bunch of the data files...gone. Or giving me Input/Output errors. THis is NOT looking good. Dive deeper...drive went south. Well, vacation cause it started working later...after 3 hrs. UGH. (FOund a replacement unit for $180! OUCH.

Then on the way out the door to pick up replacement boss calls me about some file. Check it out...ok... Get it into MS Word and next thing we know MS Word decides it's taking a vacation and not working. Blech. I know what my weekend, or at least next week will be doing...

I just want to go home! lol

Old 05-14-2006, 05:46 AM
Pro Rider

my cousin had a 95 PSD, and had some issues with tranny. he sold it before 40k. recently, he bought an older GM diesel (pre-Duramax). I THINK it's either a 6.2, or 6.9. He loves this thing, and stock condition, he says this one has ALMOST as much power as that PSD. His PSD was a 1T crewcab, SRA. His GM is ext cab, DRW.

Ford's pre-PSD was also a 7.3, but indirect injection. I've talked to several people that had cavatation problems with those. cylinder walls would pit and then cavatation. this would be before they EVER hit 150K.

like skinner says, time will tell.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Pro Rider

skinner those computer problems sound like a royal PIA. this isn't a virus or worm I hope?? hope ya got everything backed up real good.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: nedflanders
skinner those computer problems sound like a royal PIA. this isn't a virus or worm I hope?? hope ya got everything backed up real good.
Nah, it's not that. I think the drive was just going south. Had that happen on another drive (same size, model, etc. in this same server a couple years ago) then it died a few months later. So that's why I'm replacing it now. She's out of warrantee as of Feb. of this year. I've pretty much sold the boss on going to a RAID system. We get 2 things out of it. First, we get reduncy in case another drive goes south. Second, we'll expand our storage massively. Currently we have 2 18GB drives for storage. There's a 9GB drive in there for the system. With the RAID system I'll be up to 500GB of storage (that's almost 14 times the space.) Which is good, since we're at about 16 GB on the existing drives with around 1.2GB free. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

It was sad to bring that server down. She was up for 411 days!

It will also give me the chance to completely reinstall the system. The software on there is about 4 years old. Been a TON of advancements since then. As this server is just doing file storage I'm not even touching the processor. Usage is maybe 2% of a 800MHz P3. RAM is 256MB with about 30 MB actually needing to be used by the system. So there's plenty of breathing room there. RAID is going to cost about $850-900 with the 4 drives. Next up after that I'm sure will be a new tape backup. We can get most, if not all of the current data backed up on DDS-4 which is 20GB. We're getting about 75% compressed size so that's a little less than 30GB.

On what happened to his Word install, no clue. Probably have to reinstall that.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Do you have Fridays off ?
Yes, all of them!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

What a dog[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] three day weekends every week. sweet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hey boys look at my new toy.

http://www.wattsautomotive.com/detai...t-Crew-Cab-LB/

Old 05-15-2006, 11:20 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

What a dog[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] three day weekends every week. sweet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
It's a beautiful thing! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel