Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Wow, real action over here. My trailer came with a nice insulated galvanized steel box that had 4 12 volt deep cycle batteries in it. They turned out to not be any good but with the solar panels on the roof you can still fake it. I was thinking of getting a couple of 6volt batteries myself. What are the advantages of 2 6 volts compared to 2 12 volts. Is getting 4 12 volt batteries worth the expense? Did you get the new trailer yet RD? I just remembered I was going to pm you about that extra set of plastic. What are you doing this weekend RD? Are you staying home for Labor Day?

Enough of the questions...How about a F350 update? I finally got the A/C fixed only to have it die on my pismo trip. That sucked. I also ended up buying a new all metal 4 core radiator for it on a hunch the stock one was plugged. It now runs between 1/2 to 1/3 lower on the gauge. Mileage seems to have dropped about 1/2 a mpg but I also cut the air horn's out of the air tubes and sort of like how it sounds under throttle now. Only problem with it now is the A/C needs looking at again and there is a fuel leak from the rear tank. After smelling it for a while i finally found it on our way home from pismo. Probubly going to be working on it this weekend while cleaning up from pismo. And im still looking for a reasonably priced set of headers.
The 6 volts have a high AmpHour rating to them so they will hold out longer than the 12V. Costco has a great deal on the 6Volts, like $50 or so, I think. Also I think the 6volts, being out of golf carts, can take being abused (drained further) more than a standard "deep cycle."

Sucks on the A/C in the 350. Hopefully you get that fixed up.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

The 6 volts have a high AmpHour rating to them so they will hold out longer than the 12V. Costco has a great deal on the 6Volts, like $50 or so, I think. Also I think the 6volts, being out of golf carts, can take being abused (drained further) more than a standard "deep cycle."

They last longer per charge or over all life expectancy? Would i have to get 4/6 volts to equal 2/12 volt batteries?

The wife really needs A/C. So I want to look around under the hood and in the heater core box. Im not sure if its a ducting problem or a A/C unit problem.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Air Cooled Rider

They last longer per charge or over all life expectancy? Would i have to get 4/6 volts to equal 2/12 volt batteries?

The wife really needs A/C. So I want to look around under the hood and in the heater core box. Im not sure if its a ducting problem or a A/C unit problem.
I believe both to be correct. Maybe, not sure. Like I said, you'd have to look at the AmpHour ratings of the systems.

You put a new compressor on right? Hmm. Have you checked the pressures to make sure they are right? Maybe something let go like a hose?

Old 08-25-2006, 01:59 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe both to be correct. Maybe, not sure. Like I said, you'd have to look at the AmpHour ratings of the systems.

You put a new compressor on right? Hmm. Have you checked the pressures to make sure they are right? Maybe something let go like a hose?
Cool!

A new compressor, and a dryer too, all new orings and then it was flushed and chargd. I cant see any leaks under the hood(they put dye in the system) so I was going to check in the heater core box before taking it back to the shop that did the work.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Cool!

A new compressor, and a dryer too, all new orings and then it was flushed and chargd. I cant see any leaks under the hood(they put dye in the system) so I was going to check in the heater core box before taking it back to the shop that did the work.
Maybe a family of snowy plovers took up residence. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Quad Patrol

Wow, real action over here. My trailer came with a nice insulated galvanized steel box that had 4 12 volt deep cycle batteries in it. They turned out to not be any good but with the solar panels on the roof you can still fake it. I was thinking of getting a couple of 6volt batteries myself. What are the advantages of 2 6 volts compared to 2 12 volts. Is getting 4 12 volt batteries worth the expense? Did you get the new trailer yet RD? I just remembered I was going to pm you about that extra set of plastic. What are you doing this weekend RD? Are you staying home for Labor Day?
We might be slower than the spin your head thread[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But it is worth it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I think a fellow FKB brother has a saying about faking things[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We actually will have a similar set up on the "new trailer". Will need to investigate the set up more after we get it. I say new, however, it's a 1994 Weekend Warrior, so it's been used, just new to us. Couldn't pass up the price on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I like the dual 6 volt set up, it seems to run the trailer necessities longer than the 12 volt. At least longer than my single 12v battery did.

Right now we are investigating the best 5th wheel set-up, taking it to a welder this afternoon who might frabricate extended pin box for it.

Yes you were, I figured you were busy and all[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] But, I'd knew you'd get around to it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Busy weekend as usual, middle daughter has me running around all morning, then headed out to see an adoted nephew who is on his way to Iraq. Sunday after church, might have someone looking at our trailer, but that's about it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I think we will be staying around the house over Labor Day.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: mywifesquadEnough of the questions...How about a F350 update? I finally got the A/C fixed only to have it die on my pismo trip. That sucked. I also ended up buying a new all metal 4 core radiator for it on a hunch the stock one was plugged. It now runs between 1/2 to 1/3 lower on the gauge. Mileage seems to have dropped about 1/2 a mpg but I also cut the air horn's out of the air tubes and sort of like how it sounds under throttle now. Only problem with it now is the A/C needs looking at again and there is a fuel leak from the rear tank. After smelling it for a while i finally found it on our way home from pismo. Probubly going to be working on it this weekend while cleaning up from pismo. And im still looking for a reasonably priced set of headers.
Sounds like you've been a busy body[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and it doesn't look like it's going to be letting up for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] by the time your done, that 350 will be almost new, except for the body style[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Quad Patrol

They may have dry-camped a lot or just had to have more/better than their friends. Hard to say why some people do what they do.

The $10 was a joke
They did a lot of dry camping. They were Pismo bound quite a few times.

I knew it was[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Quad Patrol

Enough of the questions...How about a F350 update? I finally got the A/C fixed only to have it die on my pismo trip. That sucked. I also ended up buying a new all metal 4 core radiator for it on a hunch the stock one was plugged. It now runs between 1/2 to 1/3 lower on the gauge. Mileage seems to have dropped about 1/2 a mpg but I also cut the air horn's out of the air tubes and sort of like how it sounds under throttle now. Only problem with it now is the A/C needs looking at again and there is a fuel leak from the rear tank. After smelling it for a while i finally found it on our way home from pismo. Probubly going to be working on it this weekend while cleaning up from pismo. And im still looking for a reasonably priced set of headers.
My 6volts are Interstates they ran me about $70 each from a local rv shop (Coach Repair) in town. I like doing business with Jay, it's a family owned business and he is actually reasonable and quite helpful[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Anyway, IIRC, he said you could literally drain them down to nothing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] and recharge them back up. Only problem is, they take 2-3 days to fully charge. however, that hasn't been a problem yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Quad Patrol

Maybe a family of snowy plovers took up residence. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
If so, they were slowly cooked and just about ready for some eating[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel