Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

LOL! Those are the best kind of vehicles[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Quad Patrol

Got a question??? I probably already know the answer, but, I figure some one would know, especially Skinner.

Is it possible to run both dual 6 volt batteries and a set of 12 volt batteries on a trailer? Trying to figure out if I am going to keep the 6 volt system for the new trailer and just put a single 12 volt back on the old trailer when I sell it.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Weekly video link time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Rubiks Cube

Some cool offroading videos numba 1

numba 2

Old 08-24-2006, 03:46 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Got a question??? I probably already know the answer, but, I figure some one would know, especially Skinner.

Is it possible to run both dual 6 volt batteries and a set of 12 volt batteries on a trailer? Trying to figure out if I am going to keep the 6 volt system for the new trailer and just put a single 12 volt back on the old trailer when I sell it.
I've always wondered that myself. I think, the best bet is to keep them seperate and use a switch to cut between them as needed. They will be providing different AmpHours. Any marine supply place should have one. They are usually large red circular type of switches. Like the old A/B switches for cable. Some also have an A+B setting that will pull from both. Not sure how you'd set up the charging circuit though. Current could flow back through the charging circuit to the other batteries. Hmmm.

Though, there are those umm not sure what they are called. They are used in RVs that use the engine alternator to charge the deep cycle battery. Guys with big stereos will also use them. Current can only flow certain ways. Usually only from the input of the charging circuit from the alternator to either battery. But not from one battery to the other. Keeps the kids from leaving the lights on in the RV and killing the starting battery.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Quad Patrol

I didn't think about putting a switch on it between the two. We used tthose our our vessels, usually just kept it in the middle and ran both batteries at the same time. Also had the same set up you talked about in our motorhome. It was nice having the system separate the two batteries so, you don't drain down the main battery. The trailer does have a solar charger on the roof, guess I'll just keep the (4) 12 volt batteries it already has. Especially if I sell our trailer to a friend of ours. Skinner, our old trailer would be perfect for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It's cheap, pretty darn good condition for it's age and minimal upkeep[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Air Cooled Rider

I didn't think about putting a switch on it between the two. We used tthose our our vessels, usually just kept it in the middle and ran both batteries at the same time. Also had the same set up you talked about in our motorhome. It was nice having the system separate the two batteries so, you don't drain down the main battery. The trailer does have a solar charger on the roof, guess I'll just keep the (4) 12 volt batteries it already has. Especially if I sell our trailer to a friend of ours. Skinner, our old trailer would be perfect for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It's cheap, pretty darn good condition for it's age and minimal upkeep[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
4x12V? Dang. Did they have a bunch of kids? I'd just leave it alone if it already has a 4x12 setup. So did you buy the trailer? I just remember you saying you were looking at it.

I got $10 in my pocket. Got a deal? LOL It's probably too heavy for the 150 though. Only "6500" towing, plus it's got 3.55 gears. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] And since I put the quad in the back, it really kills the GVWR. I need to weigh it sometime.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:12 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

4x12V? Dang. Did they have a bunch of kids? I'd just leave it alone if it already has a 4x12 setup. So did you buy the trailer? I just remember you saying you were looking at it.

I got $10 in my pocket. Got a deal? LOL It's probably too heavy for the 150 though. Only "6500" towing, plus it's got 3.55 gears. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] And since I put the quad in the back, it really kills the GVWR. I need to weigh it sometime.
Yea, they had 6 kids[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Actually they have dogs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] however, they might as well be kids[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Don't really know why they have 4 batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Decided to buy it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Going tomorrow to see how much a 5th wheel is going to cost! talked to the manufactorer (Atwood) of the one that's already on it, they said the stock one would do fine with a extended hitch pin[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

$10 bucks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Might have to deal a little bit more[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] J/K[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It weighs IIRC 4,100 lbs, shouldn't be to big of a problem with one quad and your riding gear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 03:16 AM
Quad Patrol

Oh yea, had to put the camper shell and the bed slide out for sale[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Didn't think it would be to practical to keep taking it on and off with a 5th wheel now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] It will be missed though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 08:30 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow, real action over here. My trailer came with a nice insulated galvanized steel box that had 4 12 volt deep cycle batteries in it. They turned out to not be any good but with the solar panels on the roof you can still fake it. I was thinking of getting a couple of 6volt batteries myself. What are the advantages of 2 6 volts compared to 2 12 volts. Is getting 4 12 volt batteries worth the expense? Did you get the new trailer yet RD? I just remembered I was going to pm you about that extra set of plastic. What are you doing this weekend RD? Are you staying home for Labor Day?

Enough of the questions...How about a F350 update? I finally got the A/C fixed only to have it die on my pismo trip. That sucked. I also ended up buying a new all metal 4 core radiator for it on a hunch the stock one was plugged. It now runs between 1/2 to 1/3 lower on the gauge. Mileage seems to have dropped about 1/2 a mpg but I also cut the air horn's out of the air tubes and sort of like how it sounds under throttle now. Only problem with it now is the A/C needs looking at again and there is a fuel leak from the rear tank. After smelling it for a while i finally found it on our way home from pismo. Probubly going to be working on it this weekend while cleaning up from pismo. And im still looking for a reasonably priced set of headers.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Yea, they had 6 kids[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Actually they have dogs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] however, they might as well be kids[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Don't really know why they have 4 batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Decided to buy it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Going tomorrow to see how much a 5th wheel is going to cost! talked to the manufactorer (Atwood) of the one that's already on it, they said the stock one would do fine with a extended hitch pin[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

$10 bucks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Might have to deal a little bit more[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] J/K[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It weighs IIRC 4,100 lbs, shouldn't be to big of a problem with one quad and your riding gear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
They may have dry-camped a lot or just had to have more/better than their friends. Hard to say why some people do what they do.

The $10 was a joke. Gotta get too much stuff in order before I even think about such things unless really outrageous deals come along that can be had w/o too much pain.

Along those lines... a buddy of mine that I've known for 21 years is selling my brother his '87 S10 Blazer (2.8L V6, 4x4, stick) for $200 plus whatever it costs to smog it to sell. Hopefully that won't be too much. I looked up plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air filter, crankcase filter and PCV and can pick that up at NAPA for $60 if it's needed. I'm sure everything except for the cap and rotor need to be replaced. And get her an oil change. His brother gifted it to him when his K5 Blazer's tranny went out so he just wants to recover this MP3 CD player cost.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel