Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

MWQ, Unless your not running with a generator or the ability to hook up and charge the batteries over night with your truck, I don't see the need to hook up that many batteries to your trailer. Last year at Pismo, we went 6 days with out a battery problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] With the (2) 6 volt batteries up and running. Of course, prior to this we had a single 12v. I say try (2) 6v batteries and go from there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Also check out the inverter system. The REALLY nice ones will bring in 120V with 3 charge levels to the battery. Usually a strong charge, a top off and a float (for storage). Also look for some beefy wire going between the charger and the 12V system. If it's a #10 AWG, it's a joke. Rip it out and put in a good system. #10 won't carry the curent that you need to charge a battery up.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Quad Patrol

Another helpful tip from Skinner[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: rescuediver

We might be slower than the spin your head thread[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But it is worth it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I think a fellow FKB brother has a saying about faking things[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We actually will have a similar set up on the "new trailer". Will need to investigate the set up more after we get it. I say new, however, it's a 1994 Weekend Warrior, so it's been used, just new to us. Couldn't pass up the price on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I like the dual 6 volt set up, it seems to run the trailer necessities longer than the 12 volt. At least longer than my single 12v battery did.

Right now we are investigating the best 5th wheel set-up, taking it to a welder this afternoon who might frabricate extended pin box for it.

Yes you were, I figured you were busy and all[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] But, I'd knew you'd get around to it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Busy weekend as usual, middle daughter has me running around all morning, then headed out to see an adoted nephew who is on his way to Iraq. Sunday after church, might have someone looking at our trailer, but that's about it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I think we will be staying around the house over Labor Day.
The spinzone is out of control lately. There is a few guys who obviously have less to do at work than i do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I like "used" a lot you know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have been leaning this way.

your talking about the part in the truck right?

Lets get together Labor Day weekend. I might be heading to my moms anyway or maybe you want to see the shop?

Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Th

Maybe a family of snowy plovers took up residence. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Thats going to get me a fine isnt it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 11:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Sounds like you've been a busy body[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and it doesn't look like it's going to be letting up for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] by the time your done, that 350 will be almost new, except for the body style[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
you know what they say about idle hands. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i have always liked that body style anyway. Its old school just like me. and im still under 5K easilly.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

My 6volts are Interstates they ran me about $70 each from a local rv shop (Coach Repair) in town. I like doing business with Jay, it's a family owned business and he is actually reasonable and quite helpful[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Anyway, IIRC, he said you could literally drain them down to nothing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] and recharge them back up. Only problem is, they take 2-3 days to fully charge. however, that hasn't been a problem yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Does anyone know if my solar panels on the roof for 12 volt batteries will still work with 2 6volts?

Old 08-25-2006, 11:10 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

MWQ, Unless your not running with a generator or the ability to hook up and charge the batteries over night with your truck, I don't see the need to hook up that many batteries to your trailer. Last year at Pismo, we went 6 days with out a battery problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] With the (2) 6 volt batteries up and running. Of course, prior to this we had a single 12v. I say try (2) 6v batteries and go from there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
i dont have a generator yet but am looking around at 3K ones. Kragen has a nice looking one that I actually saw at pismo. I dont charge the batteries when i drive. I plug the trailer into the house for a day or 2 or now the solar keeps things happy.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Also check out the inverter system. The REALLY nice ones will bring in 120V with 3 charge levels to the battery. Usually a strong charge, a top off and a float (for storage). Also look for some beefy wire going between the charger and the 12V system. If it's a #10 AWG, it's a joke. Rip it out and put in a good system. #10 won't carry the curent that you need to charge a battery up.
I will look around my trailer this weekend. the guy I got it from did a really nice job on everything he did to the trailer. He set it up to leave unattended for weeks and still be able to show up and be good to go. Its just that the dep cycles had been sitting for 2 year when i got it and didnt have much water in them either. All 4 will charge up fine and with the solar panels are always charged. They just lose their power really quickly. If you leave the porch light on over nite its down to 8 volts or so by morning.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: mywifesquad

We might be slower than the spin your head thread[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But it is worth it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I think a fellow FKB brother has a saying about faking things[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We actually will have a similar set up on the "new trailer". Will need to investigate the set up more after we get it. I say new, however, it's a 1994 Weekend Warrior, so it's been used, just new to us. Couldn't pass up the price on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I like the dual 6 volt set up, it seems to run the trailer necessities longer than the 12 volt. At least longer than my single 12v battery did.

Right now we are investigating the best 5th wheel set-up, taking it to a welder this afternoon who might frabricate extended pin box for it.

Yes you were, I figured you were busy and all[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] But, I'd knew you'd get around to it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Busy weekend as usual, middle daughter has me running around all morning, then headed out to see an adoted nephew who is on his way to Iraq. Sunday after church, might have someone looking at our trailer, but that's about it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I think we will be staying around the house over Labor Day.
The spinzone is out of control lately. There is a few guys who obviously have less to do at work than i do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I like "used" a lot you know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have been leaning this way.

your talking about the part in the truck right?

Lets get together Labor Day weekend. I might be heading to my moms anyway or maybe you want to see the shop?
I know you do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL!

I'd say go for it if you need to replace the batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Actually, talking about the 5th wheel pin box on the trailer. This one has a standard straight down drop that does not fair well with a s/b truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] turning at tight intersections, the corner gets awfully close to the corner of the cab[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Went to a welder/fabricator, he's going to set me up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And the price will be less than what the dealers want just for a sliding hitch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Sounds like a win win situation[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Sounds good to me. I think we will be around, would like to see your shop. If it doesn't work out, you can swing by here. Later in the week, we'll pm and set up a day/time.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel