Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Downloaded 3 more pictures for you Skinner.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Quad Patrol

Skinner, thanks for all your help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I might need more[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] but I think I have a handle on it.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:08 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Now I see them at the top. I was looking at the bottom earlier. Durrr.

When you go and play with the trailer next snap a photo of the inside of the circuit breaker panel for the trailer. Want to see if it's set up for 120V or 120/240V. That's a lot of stuff to run through a 30A breaker (one leg of the generator), which has about 24A of rated capacity (80%). Doesn't look like there is actually a main breaker for that panel. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] That will show how that cable is wired. And that panel schedule leaves a lot to be desired. 4 breakers, 3 columns of stuff. Maybe that 30A IS the main breaker.

How about a size on the cord for that panel? Looks like probably a #10, maybe a #8, type SJOW (Service Junior (300V) Oil Weather).

I think you posted before on the generator. Any model numbers or possibly a plate somewhere with information? Want to see if it's all on 120V or 240V. I have a feeling it's 120V as it should have popped those breakers when you started it with them taped together.

If I get enough info I'll draw you up a single line diagram for the trailer for record.

As to that little bundle of joy with the wires capped, or those the ones that go into the wall and disappear? If you know a telephone/data guy, see if you can borrow their tone generator and inductive amplifier to trace those wires down. Maybe they are dead ended somewhere else. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

It appears that there are two wires leading to that fuse block with the (4) 20A type ATC fuses. A gray cable and a red type of cable. Looks like the red is going towards the generator in the background of pic 19.

I think that's enough homework. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Quad Patrol

I might know someone here at work that has the tone generator thing your talking about. I'll check.

The red wire in 19 actually goes to the convertor. I'll need to check on the rest to confirm.

Thanks again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Quad Patrol

Skinner, sorry I was so short in the above post. Was still at work waiting for a class to start when I started typing. Wouldn't you know it, they brought dinner for us[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] So, I ate prior to class[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Any hoot, I did my homework[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I'll post pictures and be back[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Also, I'll try to post them right after yesterday's pictures[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Quad Patrol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Now I see them at the top. I was looking at the bottom earlier. Durrr.

The new pictures are numbers 7,9,10,11 and 12[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

When you go and play with the trailer next snap a photo of the inside of the circuit breaker panel for the trailer. Want to see if it's set up for 120V or 120/240V. That's a lot of stuff to run through a 30A breaker (one leg of the generator), which has about 24A of rated capacity (80%). Doesn't look like there is actually a main breaker for that panel. [IMG][/IMG] That will show how that cable is wired. And that panel schedule leaves a lot to be desired. 4 breakers, 3 columns of stuff. Maybe that 30A IS the main breaker.

It's the only panel I could find. Took some pictures and tried to explain what each one represented[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I think 30 is all she has[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

How about a size on the cord for that panel? Looks like probably a #10, maybe a #8, type SJOW (Service Junior (300V) Oil Weather).

Looks like a size 10, unknown on the SJOW. Sorry[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I think you posted before on the generator. Any model numbers or possibly a plate somewhere with information? Want to see if it's all on 120V or 240V. I have a feeling it's 120V as it should have popped those breakers when you started it with them taped together.

It's an Onan Marquis 7000 Model Number 7NHMFA26105C. Tape was applied after it ground to the door frame[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Prior to that, wires were exposed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Also, when I taped them up, each strand was taped separately, not together[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Not that it matters. When this is all said and done,hopefully it will be done right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

If I get enough info I'll draw you up a single line diagram for the trailer for record.

<u>
Very Appreciated[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]</u>

As to that little bundle of joy with the wires capped, or those the ones that go into the wall and disappear? If you know a telephone/data guy, see if you can borrow their tone generator and inductive amplifier to trace those wires down. Maybe they are dead ended somewhere else. [IMG][/IMG]

Yea, the twinkle in my ****[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL! have a couple friends who might be able to help me there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] especially after taking the cover off the fuse panel and seeing the end of one of the Romex unsecured and taped with electrical tape.

It appears that there are two wires leading to that fuse block with the (4) 20A type ATC fuses. A gray cable and a red type of cable. Looks like the red is going towards the generator in the background of pic 19.

See picture 12;White braided wire goes to the converter box along with the red braided wire you mentioned above. The other white wire (size 8/10, guess 8 though) goes to the other blue twist cap. All other wires disappear into the trailer wall. Oh yes, there is also a ground wire to the frame. My guess is, they go to the fuse panel. then get dispersed to the trailer.

I think that's enough homework. [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Whew, a lot of field trips the last few nights[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Quad Patrol

i would also like to thank my fellow FBK'ers for putting up with my electrical problems[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

rescue[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

MD. Yes, you do need a 20A fuse inline. You can probably find one at an electronics shop. Fuse will probably be rated at 250V. It should have a #10 wire on the line side (incoming). Like the old barrel style auto fuses were many times rated at 12VDC/250VAC.

Saw the new pics. That breaker panel is a 120/240V single phase 3 wire panel (just like a "normal" house panel.) I can't tell from the pics (too small) how the power cord is connected.

On closer inspection of picture #9, I can see a knockout being used at the bottom of the panel. I can see the neutral coming up to the neutral terminal just above the right 20A breaker. (I think that is the 20A...and I just lost my apostrophe...go figure...) The ground I can see coming over below the breakers across to the ground bus bar on the left. And I think I might be able to see a black wire feeding the right main lug come over from the left side. The left main lug is obscured by the #10 Romex.

I can see 3 white wires terminated on the neutral bus (horizontal bus bar at the top above the breakers.) SO I do think (as noted below) that there are 4 Romex entering. 3 terminated, and one taped off. I wonder if this taped off one is for future power somewhere. Possibly a second AC feed? (I lost my arrow keys and my slash key too!)

It also appears that there are 4 Romex cables coming into the top of th box (makes sense with the 4 breakers. It's an MLO (Main Lug Only) panel with no main. (That's fine. The protection is provided by the service (generator or at the shore power).) Or are we seeing some other wire back there? My assumption is the 2 120V terminals are actually tied together somehow. Maybe one circuit isn't even being used. Which of any of the circuits breakers are used? Which are spare?

As for the bundle of white wires. I'm thinking those are 12V ground/negative whatever you want to call it. I wouldn't doubt a meter from the 12V fuse block on the wall to one of those would be 12VDC. I'm assuming this because of color and the fact that they are not fused and all bound together. A terminal strip would look much nicer for aesthetic reasons. I know someone who has a son who milled a really nice terminal strip from copper and insulating material. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Looking at the 12VDC fuse block pic #5 and your descriptions I think there's an incoming grey wire from the battery. The red wire then connects the fuses and the inverter. I assume the red wire will provide 12VDC to the fuse block when there's 120V present at the generator. This may also provide 12VDC to the converter to go to 120VAC from the batteries.

I think we're pretty close to having this completely figured out.

And my supervisor really liked your friend's elk. Ok, WTF all the keys are working now.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Quad Patrol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

MD. Yes, you do need a 20A fuse inline. You can probably find one at an electronics shop. Fuse will probably be rated at 250V. It should have a #10 wire on the line side (incoming). Like the old barrel style auto fuses were many times rated at 12VDC/250VAC.

Thanks for getting the information. I see Radio Shack carries them.

Saw the new pics. That breaker panel is a 120/240V single phase 3 wire panel (just like a "normal" house panel.) I can't tell from the pics (too small) how the power cord is connected.

It comes in from the bottom. and splits off, wires look to be at least a #8.

On closer inspection of picture #9, I can see a knockout being used at the bottom of the panel. I can see the neutral coming up to the neutral terminal just above the right 20A breaker. (I think that is the 20A...and I just lost my apostrophe...go figure...) The ground I can see coming over below the breakers across to the ground bus bar on the left. And I think I might be able to see a black wire feeding the right main lug come over from the left side. The left main lug is obscured by the #10 Romex.

20A on the right is the green breaker. I think you are correct[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I should fire the person responsible for the shoddy pictures[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] What were they thinking[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] SORRY

I can see 3 white wires terminated on the neutral bus (horizontal bus bar at the top above the breakers.) SO I do think (as noted below) that there are 4 Romex entering. 3 terminated, and one taped off. I wonder if this taped off one is for future power somewhere. Possibly a second AC feed? (I lost my arrow keys and my slash key too!)

You are correct, there are 4 Romex wires coming in. How did I miss that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Again, going to have to fire my helper[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You could very well be right about the extra line for future use.

It also appears that there are 4 Romex cables coming into the top of th box (makes sense with the 4 breakers. It's an MLO (Main Lug Only) panel with no main. (That's fine. The protection is provided by the service (generator or at the shore power).) Or are we seeing some other wire back there? My assumption is the 2 120V terminals are actually tied together somehow. Maybe one circuit isn't even being used. Which of any of the circuits breakers are used? Which are spare?

I'll have to check on these questions[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

As for the bundle of white wires. I'm thinking those are 12V ground/negative whatever you want to call it. I wouldn't doubt a meter from the 12V fuse block on the wall to one of those would be 12VDC. I'm assuming this because of color and the fact that they are not fused and all bound together. A terminal strip would look much nicer for aesthetic reasons. I know someone who has a son who milled a really nice terminal strip from copper and insulating material. [IMG][/IMG]

Hmm, is this person for hire to fix all this[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If so, send me a PM[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Looking at the 12VDC fuse block pic #5 and your descriptions I think there's an incoming grey wire from the battery. The red wire then connects the fuses and the inverter. I assume the red wire will provide 12VDC to the fuse block when there's 120V present at the generator. This may also provide 12VDC to the converter to go to 120VAC from the batteries.

Again, something I missed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] now I am getting mad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] and am embarrassed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
don't know how I missed all this?? No need to answer that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Again, will have to check this out.

I think we're pretty close to having this completely figured out.

Looks that way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Or me getting a good shock or two[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

And my supervisor really liked your friend's elk. Ok, WTF all the keys are working now.</end quote></div>

Glad he did[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Greg got another big one this year, I'll have to post a picture of it.

And tell your supervisor I said THANK YOU!! and to you too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] of course

Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Royalty Rider

So... after months of not logging in I thought I would stop in and say "HEY" to a few of my fav peeps on here. How is everyone???

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel