Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: Whitewater
Originally posted by: Trasher
Looking at a 2002 Excursion w/ the V10 for 19K. Have about 43K miles on it. Super clean. Just don't know if I want to have one that gets about 12-14 MPG[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Sounds like a good deal to me. Is it for your wife / domestic godess?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Heck no, it's for me! She drives a Honda mini van and doesn't want to drive a tank like this.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
And would look even better out of the camo [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Im sad. I can only get a 75" diagonal Wide Screen image in my office. Need the walls farther apart [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Watchin James Bond Golden Eye right now.
only 75"? I feel your pain bro...........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

But hey how many people got even that in their office [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I threw a picture of a PSD crew cab up on the wall and man it was lookin good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 02:56 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
hey, where's MD been? I see him lurking around other threads. did you guys offend him the way you offended poor old Flanders?

MD, did you ever get the wiring solved?? thanksgiving is just around the corner.....
Thanks for the concern Confused[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I have a habit when I get here, I go through the numerous messages that are sent in to the moderator. Answer what I can, then, browse around and answer some threads with the little wisdom that I have. Unlike Toyo or is his new aka; "Thread Killer"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

By the time I get here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's late and time for bed, can't do those 1-2 am posts anymore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Let me tell you, when the electrical was done for the electric brake, they did a pi$$ poor job[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] there is actually 2 black boxes in the same general area, that also, look alike. Well, one was just laying on the fender well, dangling there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]the other, was put in upside down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]After figuring this out, I removed the relays, cleaned them(had dust on them) put them where they belonged. And walla, have power to charge the batteries[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] What I did learn was, on the 7 prong plug, the prong in the 7 o'clock position powers the battery charger from the truck, and that it only works, with the key in the "on" position[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I like how my chevy was, just plug it in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]and let the truck charge the battery over night while camping. O' well, with my new set up(thanks to Confused) I hope I won't need to charge it as much[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Quad Patrol

Creator, get the Excursion with the PSD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I don't think you will be above 10 mpg with the V10. I know with the F250 V10, my friend gets 7-9 mpg and when towing his toy trailer, he gets 6mpg[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 03:05 AM
Quad Patrol

Friends just loaded 3 of our quads in the back of their weekend warrior, Tomorrow, they will be headed to Pismo[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Now, I only need to bring 2 quads with us when we head down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Looks like it's going to be Sunny and mid 60's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] all week long[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MD, I'm gonna pat myself on the back for curing your charging system woes, cuz I've been saying all along it's those 2 relays (you call them black boxes, but i got one of those at home and it's a lot different... i do the plugging in there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img])

it should ONLY EVER charge while the ignition is on. if it did it while off, it will drain your main batteries. you never want the charge wire to work while the vehicle is off.it's the alternator generating current that does the charge for ya. is it the 5 or 7 oclock position?? you just checked, so I'll trust your judgement, but i thought it was the 5 o'clock spot.

Hoss, once again you proved me wrong. suddenly army green looks fabulous. it's not camo tho, if it was camo, it'd be beige like her skin color.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Quad Patrol

MD, I'm gonna pat myself on the back for curing your charging system woes, cuz I've been saying all along it's those 2 relays (you call them black boxes, but i got one of those at home and it's a lot different... i do the plugging in there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img])

You are so CORRECT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I owe you an appology for over looking your imput on that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

it should ONLY EVER charge while the ignition is on. if it did it while off, it will drain your main batteries. you never want the charge wire to work while the vehicle is off.it's the alternator generating current that does the charge for ya. is it the 5 or 7 oclock position?? you just checked, so I'll trust your judgement, but i thought it was the 5 o'clock spot.

Well, that's how it was on my Chevy, I understand what your saying, it was just nice to plug in a watch the electrical output grow tremendously, and I like it when things grow tremendously[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Yeh, the papers I found, said it's the one at the 7 o'clock position.

Hoss, once again you proved me wrong. suddenly army green looks fabulous. it's not camo tho, if it was camo, it'd be beige like her skin color.

So true, it would look like there's nothing there at all[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay pal, you're ready for the last pebble of wisdom i have to offer = SOLAR PANELS!! never have to worry about dead batteries again. they are coming down in price a lot. and they are way more tree-hugger friendly cuz ya don't burn any gas or make any noise like ya do with the generator. Plus there's some rumor that CA has a little more sunshine than the 'wet-coast'. they do work in virtually any daylight condition. I'll bet someone like harbor freight carries a cheap version. but whatever you do, make sure you get at least 2 AMPS of charging power. most of them are rated in Watts, so you'd need 75watts?? Amps X volts =watts, so you should be able to figure it out from there. i think most guys try for a 75W system. SKINNER!! you should know this answer! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] HELP! How many watts would you need to make 2 amps on a 12V system?? I guess if i remeber the formula correctly, it should be a 25 watt panel, but that seems low.(more amps would be better tho). and, i think the more powerful solar panel will still charge in less than ideal conditions, whereas something that neds max sunlight to do produce 2 amps would be underpowered on rainy or cloudy days. thats probably why 75W sticks in my head.

Old 11-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Technically it's 24Watts = 2A @ 12VDC.

Yeah, I'm with everyone else...don't charge without the truck running. Esp. with the diesels...you need all the amps you have to turn the beasts over. Our F-450 has a hot pin all the time, which we have to be careful with our hydraulic trailer...it tends to suck the truck battery dry.

Though, if you REALLY want some power, get a winch power cable extension. We have one on the flat bed. It's a big plug on the back of the truck that we connect to a winch on this little small flip trailer we have (I call it the Pogo Stick Trailer...dam thing bounces around without a load!) Probably has a 4AWG pair of wires that run from the batt back there. The connector is kind like what the tow trucks have for their jumpers.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel