Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

We get all kinds of snow (icy, slushy, mucky, etc.). It just depends on temp, etc. I know a guy that took 8 hrs to go 300 miles yesterday (same road I took).

So I go to start the truck this morning and no luck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I took the day off and did some chores, had a neighbor jump the truck and took it to Les Snob to get the ball joints changed...which took them all damn day long. I also had them look at the batteries to see if they were good (they said they were alright, but I'm not so sure). My truck acts like I'm not getting much juice. Also, the drivers side battery has a red dot in the little round window. I went to the Diesel Stop Forum and I think I need new batteries.

The guy at Les said I need to look at the GPR, but I changed it out a year ago.

Any advice?

Old 11-30-2004, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glow plugs are okay?? sometimes in the AM/cold mine will be a little stubborn. i just double-glow plug it. (turn it on, then wait until the "wait to start light" goes out, then turn it off and on again, until the light goes out again, then start it. It chugs and coughs a little right now cuz i still got 15W40 oil. i should change to 10W30. Does any 10-30 work, or is there a special formulation for diesel?? I do see some 10-30 cans say "diesel" on them, but is that just the same oil in a can with "diesel" on it? It's more $$, and they don't sell it in the 5 gallon pails.

well we had some wet snow today. never stuck, except my windshield had slush on it. my 9 y/o has snow-plow contracts lined up for 3 houses on the street. I still haven't taken my plow or mounting hardware outta the box. last year i finally got it after we had our 1 annual snowfall. in the old days, it got so cold here, the Fraser River froze. hasn't happened in over 30 years. plus we get nowhere near the snow we used to get. who says global warming is all BS???

Hoss, it's easy for them to either load test your batts, or use a hydrometer on each cell to see if they're okay. so if they checked and said they're okay, i wouldn't be in a hurry to waste $$ on new ones. OR, get a Batt shop to check them.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:49 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

You do need the diesel oil. Should be in your owners manual which grade you should run based on the temperature. I know diesel oils have different grading system (like the standard API or whatever it is for gas motors.)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-30-2004, 01:52 AM
Quad Patrol

Hoss, If the truck started after getting jumped and the batteries are "good" then what was the initial problem this morning[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I noticed this morning it was cold[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] to darn cold[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]27 degrees and the PSD started a little weird[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]but, I associated it with the colder weather outside[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] We get snow on avg. every 7 years. But it doesn't stick either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Last good snow storm I was in, was Chicago 1979[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Had to climb out the front window to shovel out the front door to leave.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:02 AM
Quad Patrol

Skinner, missed you at Pismo. Weather was great to Sat. then a storm blew in. It helped a little on the dunes, but not enough[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Had to tear the 160's carb apart, throttle needle was getting stuck and no fuel making it into the carb. After that, they all ran great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Wife rode the Z400 and after 30 seconds, told me she loved it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]and, I wasn't getting it back[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Guess it's time to sell the 400L and get a new Z400 for myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] and give her the '03 one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Batteries on the trailer worked all week[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and still show a full charge[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]On the down side, wind blew the door out of my daughter''s hand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]And took out a window on the trailer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]now, it really looks like a okie rig[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] due to the duct tape holding on card board.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Sorry to hear about the misfortunes MD. Yeah, I didn't make it out riding ANYWHERE this weekend. I was gonna head up the hill, but that flippin storm came in. Without 4x4 I didn't want to venture up there. Last weekend that freak windstorm brought down trees across the access road going in. We'll have to hook up sometime. I've been thikning I may head up to that new cycle park up by you that is supposed to be opening up just to have a look around. Probably just a road trip, sans the bike. We'll see. IIRC, the grand opening is this weekend right?

LJ is working up at a ski area so he's not going to be riding for the season.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Air Cooled Rider

MD, I was sitting here thinking about you letting the wife ride the new bike... I was thinking (I'm on hold with Dell Support...boss' grandaughter spilled a soda on the keyboard...ate the tracings!) ...WHY DID HE DO THAT? Then I realized...you're doing the stealth upgrade mission. Get her hooked on the power of the Z (like a crack dealer gives out freebies). She takes a hit, gets hooked. Then you spring the plan. YOU get a new bike. Nice. Good work. Just hope she doesn't say "Oh but honey, that one right there is YOUR bike. *I* get the new one." As she smiles...realizing she just foiled your plan.

Oh and DAMN it's cold! Was about 30 this morning. Yeah yeah I know...that's not cold...but it is here for us.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
glow plugs are okay?? sometimes in the AM/cold mine will be a little stubborn. i just double-glow plug it. (turn it on, then wait until the "wait to start light" goes out, then turn it off and on again, until the light goes out again, then start it. It chugs and coughs a little right now cuz i still got 15W40 oil. i should change to 10W30. Does any 10-30 work, or is there a special formulation for diesel?? I do see some 10-30 cans say "diesel" on them, but is that just the same oil in a can with "diesel" on it? It's more $$, and they don't sell it in the 5 gallon pails.
My uncles 96 crewcab psd started the same way. until he got new glowplugs and the sucker fires right off now. your prolly missin a plug or two [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] as for oil. GOTO COSTCO Get Chevron Delo 40w in the galong jugs. comes in a box and its the cheapest way to get your oil and its dam fine oil.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy

My uncles 96 crewcab psd started the same way. until he got new glowplugs and the sucker fires right off now. your prolly missin a plug or two [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] as for oil. GOTO COSTCO Get Chevron Delo 40w in the galong jugs. comes in a box and its the cheapest way to get your oil and its dam fine oil.
i wanted 10-30 for the winter. is this 10-40, or straight 40 (man, that'd be THICK). is it approved for diesel????do they sell a 10-30 for diesels at costco? i'll check out the costco to see if they have it. it's really funny how different some of the costcos are in different areas. in the north (Prince George) they've carried stuff for snowmobiles and camping that we never see here on the coast. come to think of it, ALL the costcos are a zoo right now for shopping. Bah-humbug is coming soon.

Hoss, can you buy your spoiled little brats [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] some extra gifts this year in recognition of us poor canadians that don't have enough $$ to get our brats anything? yep, looks like I'll be cutting a hole in their pockets again, just so they have something to play with!

Old 11-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I plugged the truck in last night and she fired up this morning. Brrrrrr....it was -3 this morning. I run Rotella T (full synthetic) in my PSD, but would really like to put a synthetic in my tranny...Mobil 1?

I'm going to do a couple more things to see if I need to fork out $200 for new batteries. I just think that one of my batteries are shot.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I hope it's not a glow plug.

And yes, I was at Costco yesterday and that place looks different every time I go there. I think they rapidly turn over their stock. Oh, my wife bought my Christmas present yesterday.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel