Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

After all the stealership fees, tax, etc....almost 900,000.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

WARNING: LONG A** POST!

OK, so you guys might have a chance at understanding what I was talking about I'll make comments:

... Linux ... Linux itself is just an Operating System kernel. It's the heart of the OS. Kinda like the PSD, or maybe the ECU. It bascially melds the hardware and applications together. Companies/Foundations/private people put the kernel together with other tools (usually teh GNU tools as the base) to create an operating system, and each one is referred to as a distribution (that probably goes back to BSD (Berkley Software Distribution) days.) Linux is licensed under a slightly modified, or rather interpretation of the GNU General Public License. Issued by the Free Software Foundation.

... terrorist/hippie/commie people.... That's a long standing joke. Microsoft compared Linux users at one time to terrorists.

...Fedora Core... Fedora Core is a distribution that is put out by Red Hat of Research Triangle Park, NC. This distro is a testbed. Can be very unstable at times and releases every six months. Supposed to be used as a tinker toy by developers. Red Hat also puts out a commercial product line called Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Includes support and what not. Long support cycle of like 5 years.

..RedHat... This is Red Hat's old distribution which was released in 6 month increments and ended with the version 9 release about 2 years ago.

...ISO images... A CD-ROM uses the ISO 9660 standard for laying out the filesystem (there are extension to this, like Rockridge) that add some functionality, like long filename support (greater than 8.3 files). DVD use an extension of the ISO 9660 standard as well. When you use something like Roxio, Nero, etc. that program is creating the ISO image for you. Linux distributions are generally all freely downloadable in some form. Some, like Red Hat Enterprise Linux is only downloadable on ISOs as source code. Most distributions have a source ISO (usually names whatever-CD#-SRC.ISO) and binary ISO (whatever-CD#-i386.iso). The last one would be for the i386 architecture. That includes all Intel 386, 486, Pentium Line, (and compatible), as well as AMD Athlon line processors as well. Linux supports something like 30 architectures. Including PlayStation 2! (NerBSD actually holds the record. Maybe like 60 architectures.)

I think most people know what laser printers are. Much cheaper to run than ink jets. If I need color I have a color plotter (24" wide ink jet printer HP DesignJet 100) at the office. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

...IPCop... This is another Linux distribution but is designed for building routers. Take an old computer (in my case a AMD K5-PR133 (like a Pentium 133 MHz), throw in some network interface cards (NIC) and voila! Router/firewall/etc.

...ADSL Modem... The hardware (techinally Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) used to connect to a DSL line.

..hub... device used to connect several computers together. Get a switch. They are better than hubs. It's what I had.

WAP11 (Wireless Access Point). WAP11 is a Linksys model of a Wireless Access Point. Used as a "base station" for wireless devices in a Wireless Area Network. It's an 802.11b device. There are .11a (54Mbps) .11b (11mbps) .11g (not sure on speed, but is backwards compatable with .11b).

...LAN.. Local Area Network. Computer network.

...VPN... Virtual Private Network. Allows secure transmissions over an insecure link (usually the Internet, but could also be over a WAN). Allows you to connect two disparete locations and have the networks on either side look like one local network.

Just a bunch of hardware: PIII-600e is a CPU. Intel Pentium 3. 600MHz. It's actually got 320MB (checked it last night)

...IDE... Integrated Device Electronics. It's what most HD (Hard Drive) out there use. The other standards are SCSI (Small Computer Systems Interface) for server or high end workstations, SATA (Serial ATA uses a small connector/cable and is an extension of ATA which is an extension of IDE), USB & FireWire. (Most USB & FireWire (IEEE 1394, iLink) are ATA drives in an enclosure that converts to USB/FireWire. FireWire is Apple's trademark name for the IEEE standard. iLink is Sony's trademark. FireWire was designed by Apple as a high speed replacement to USB.

...Gentoo or Debian... Two other distributions of Linux. Debian is a slow moving, but ultra stable. Gentoo is built based on Debian and is custom compile by your machine (this think can take the better part of a week to download & compile your packages!)

WhiteBox or Tao..open distribution based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

...ReplayTV... It's like a Tivo, but this thing ROCKS. Put two on a LAN together and they'll work together to record shows. And you can view the other ones recorded shows across the network with one, or use an application on a computer to do so. Do if you're in the market for a DVR, give them a look. $100 for the 40 hour unit. $12.95 monthly or $299 lifetime service.

Most of the licensing used in open source basically say that you can take the source code, change it, and redistribute that source code as your own. GPL successive software must remain GPL software.

BSD licensed softare can be taken, changed and made proprietary. Apple OS X is based on FreeBSD. Microsoft also grabbed the TCP/IP stack from FreeBSD and used that in previous versions of WinNT 4. You can actually fingerprint a machine based on their TCP/IP stack. Everyone implements some areas of TCP/IP differently and it creates a fingerprint.

Open Source licenses may say you can look at the source, you just can't touch it.

Software is referred to as Free as in Speach, not free as in beer. (Ok, now that I have your attention). It's about being free from vendor lock-in. You don't have to wait for the vendor to fix what is screwed up. You can do it yourself. Patches to security problems are often made the same day as the issue is found. If the vendor goes belly up, you can continue to support your software yourself, or pay someone to do it. If your vendor turns against you, you're not locked into their stuff. Most file formats used in Free Software use open formats. Many are moving on to XML for file formats. The file sizes are really so much smaller. And you can tweak it by hand or open it up and retrieve the data from another program if you change applications.

Hope that helps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (Now that is a long a** post!)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

well, I'm at about 75% of understanding it now. maybe the rest will soak in later.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

you guys. sheesh. its just computers, they really aint a black box ya know. but then agin i been fiddlin with em since i was born.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

75% ehh? That's probably better than some people in the industry.

When I was taking my CCNA classes there were some totally clueless people. One chick hadn't even really used a computer much before that. Hubby worked for some company that managed Cisco's bennies and said it was pretty good (though most people who are CCNA's don't work FOR Cisco, but work WITH their equipment. One guy I know from there who did get his CCNA knew nothing about computers or how to trouble shoot them.

Some first tier tech support (the first ones to answer the calls) are clueless as well. Unless they just started out in tech support and are moving up.

Have a friend who used to do tech support for NetGear. He was pretty good. Figured out how to get a buy connected via DSL on a 486 running Win 3.1. How, I don't know.

If you ever want to laugh hysterically...check out bash.org It's a riot. Check out the top 100.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 12-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Quad Patrol

I thought a "kernal" was from corn[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I understood some of it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But not enough to put my own system together[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Thank goodness for friends and family in the industry[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Quad Patrol

Hoss, even though pennies are considered U.S. Currency, if that guy doesn't pay up in hard currency. He will pay for it in the long run. Added on penalties and just maybe a warrant for his arrest for failing to pay his fine. Just not worth it in my book. Especially if the warrant is served while he is driving his car. Let's see, Avg tow bill $125 plus $25 a day storage, then, not to mention the inconvienance of missing work, picking kids up, etc. Then, having to wait for someone to come to the jail to past the bail. of course, he is stubborn, so, he'll want to see the Judge. After sitting in jail for 2 days or 48 hours(which ever might be longer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])he'll get his wish[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Then the fine for the Failure to Pay, will be more then the original fine. So, who really wins here? Just a thought, from someone who's seen just about everything[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Sorry MD thats HorseCrap. The man offered payment in US CURRENCY pennies or not the state should be obligated to honor the debt settled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Toyo. I think they should take the money and shut up. That is a small town and they have time to put it through a coin machine.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

and besides thats a BS ticket. 82 flippin dollars for a burnt out headlight? WTF what about a fix it ticket? they ever heardof those in utah? your entitled to a warning.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel