Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: Trasher
The Rubicon would be a very fun trip to make[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I would plan to do it in August so you can enjoy the weather up there also. Are you going only on quads or are you going with a support vehicle like a jeep?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Thanks mstr[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Creator, I would try to get one of my brothers to take their jeep or both of them. But, most likely, we will be on atvs only. My luck, they would go, roll, then blame it on me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] because of their stupidity[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] That's just the way they are[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2005, 02:50 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
My poor 'ol PSD has been sitting too long. The last couple of trips I have taken I have used my Suburban because it holds more people. I take too many kids all the time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I should probably sell it and look for a PSD Excursion but I have to admit the Chev has been doing a fine job dragging the toys to and from. (I would never own a ford other than the truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img])
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Just goto the junk yard and find a couple back seats and bolt them to the bed with seatbelts and throw a ARE canopy with the walkthru door. and you be all good. besides like you wanna listen to the hoolagins while drivin.
Doesn't work like that anymore Festus[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img](in California) If you were to do that, you better have the ratings from a Federal Safety test that states, it's federally tested and approved.

Old 02-18-2005, 02:53 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
California sucks. Would you keep all your big brother liberals there please and not allow them to migrate to other places. there ruining america. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
After the election fiascal going on in Washington, I don't think you have too much room to wiggle here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] ol' Festus[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2005, 03:20 AM
Quad Patrol

Here's the sections from the Califonia Vehicle Code that should answer any questions you might have about passengers in the back of pick-ups.

Carrying Persons in the Back of a Motor Truck

23116. (a) No person driving a pickup truck or a flatbed motortruck on a highway shall transport any person in or on the back of the truck.

(b) No person shall ride in or on the back of a truck or flatbed motortruck being driven on a highway.

(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply if the person in the back of the truck is secured with a restraint system. The restraint system shall meet or exceed the federal motor vehicle safety standards published in Sections 571.207, 571.209, and 571.210 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Unlawful Riding and Towing

21712. (a) No person driving a motor vehicle shall knowingly permit any person to ride on any vehicle or upon any portion thereof not designed or intended for the use of passengers.

(b) No person shall ride on any vehicle or upon any portion thereof not designed or intended for the use of passengers.

(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to any employee engaged in the necessary discharge of his duty or in the case of persons riding completely within or upon vehicle bodies in space intended for any load on the vehicle.

(d) No person shall drive a motor vehicle that is towing a trailer coach, camp trailer, or trailer carrying any vessel, containing any passenger, except when a trailer carrying or designed to carry a vessel is engaged in the launching or recovery of the vessel.

(e) No person shall knowingly drive a motor vehicle which is towing any person riding upon any motorcycle, motorized bicycle, bicycle, coaster, roller skates, sled, skis, or toy vehicle.

(f) Subdivision (d) shall not apply to a trailer coach being towed with a fifth-wheel device if the trailer coach is equipped with safety glazing materials wherever glazing materials are used in windows or doors, with an audible or visual signaling device which a passenger inside the trailer coach can use to gain the attention of the motor vehicle driver, and with at least one unobstructed exit capable of being opened from both the interior and exterior of the trailer coach.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I stated back about 100 pages of wit and knowledge (not from me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) I have owned 3 Astro vans and still think they are the best thing going in that class of vehicle. the ONLY reason I don't own one now is I'm sick of looking at one in my garage. I needed a change. Bought a 2002 Honda mini van and It is on it's third tranny, rear window motors died twice, cup holder broke, brakes are noisy, etc.

All cars have issues brother[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
too wierd, cuz Honda is EXACTLY what i'd replace my GM with. can't believe your on 3rd tranny. what are ya towing, mobile homes??I do agree tho, all vehs have their "built on Monday" lemons. i think the motor and tranny on my GM will be solid for a long time. But $800 for a fuel pump, $125 for glove box latch... those are import prices. I've replaced a whack of things on mine. my list of repairs is 2 pages long. a lot of coolant related issues. did i mention i hate Dexcool??

the thing i think that separates car makers is how they treat you and deal with the problem. A buddy had a Toyota Foreskinrunner and the engine went after warranty by at least a year, and it was over on mileage. They gave him a new engine, no charge. They reasoned their products are better built than that. ford, GM , Chrysler would NEVER do that

your pinko politicians would find it WAY too socialized here. only reason you don't have Canada and the diamond mines is cuz it's too darn cold. cool;:

Old 02-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

[qtoo wierd, cuz Honda is EXACTLY what i'd replace my GM with. can't believe your on 3rd tranny. what are ya towing, mobile homes??I do agree tho, all vehs have their "built on Monday" lemons. i think the motor and tranny on my GM will be solid for a long time. But $800 for a fuel pump, $125 for glove box latch... those are import prices. I've replaced a whack of things on mine. my list of repairs is 2 pages long. a lot of coolant related issues. did i mention i hate Dexcool??

the thing i think that separates car makers is how they treat you and deal with the problem. A buddy had a Toyota Foreskinrunner and the engine went after warranty by at least a year, and it was over on mileage. They gave him a new engine, no charge. They reasoned their products are better built than that. ford, GM , Chrysler would NEVER do that[/quote]

I do have to say that the trans went out 2K out of the warranty period and they covered it, plus a Suburban for a rental[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The trans are known to have issues so they cover them for 7 yr/100K.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Working at a GM dealership for years, I can say if customers had problems we took care of you and the factory was trying to fix the issue. My honda sucks for that type of service. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] My brakes click every time you back out of the garage and hit the brakes. They do it at the first stop after that. Honda states it's "Normal". The gas tank is very noisy at a lower fuel level. That to honda is "normal".. I know that GM would come out with a new tank and disk pads clips/hardware to fix the problem. I have seen it many times. That is what I have issues with. Sometimes you need to go the extra distance to please a good customer with a valid complaint.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

[qyour pinko politicians would find it WAY too socialized here. only reason you don't have Canada and the diamond mines is cuz it's too darn cold. cool;:[/quote]

Can't we just ship all the lefty commie pinko's up there with you so we can re-claim our land back?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You all would be very happy together sitting in your electric powered cars bashing Bush and America on your way to the forest to drive stakes into the trees that those evil loggers are going to cut down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
too wierd, cuz Honda is EXACTLY what i'd replace my GM with. can't believe your on 3rd tranny. what are ya towing, mobile homes??
Most likely it's that wonderful 700R4 GM. That Sonoma I was driving was on number 3. They CAN be beefed up by someone who knows what they are doing (they used them in Vettes) but they also come in several different versions for different power outputs. If you put one of the really light duty ones behind a motor with power it's not going to last. And there are several versions of the 700R4 as well over the years.

the thing i think that separates car makers is how they treat you and deal with the problem. A buddy had a Toyota Foreskinrunner and the engine went after warranty by at least a year, and it was over on mileage. They gave him a new engine, no charge. They reasoned their products are better built than that. ford, GM , Chrysler would NEVER do that
It really depends on if you have a good service manager. We followed a service manager from a local dealer to one about 30+ miles away. They pick up and deliver too. They are trying to build up their business. But when he was at the previous dealer (which was locally owned and sold out to a National group) he got Ford to pay part of some stuff. Tranny on the F-450 went at like 65K. They paid part and got us the latest rev. of that tranny. Current one has probably 60K+ on it and no problems. He also got Ford to pay to redo the exhaust manifold bolts. They shear off on the 460.

your pinko politicians would find it WAY too socialized here. only reason you don't have Canada and the diamond mines is cuz it's too darn cold. cool;:
Can't we just, umm, ship them all off to internment camps? It was jacked up to do that to the Japanese-Americans in WWII, but for the blood sucking ticks, I don't think anyone will be upset...except their families.

On another note I'm sitting here watching the rain outside my window. Should I still go to Hollister? LOL Supposed to be raining off and on all weekend. Definately going to be a muddy mess. Might end up finding out how comfy those vinyl seats in the truck are to sleep on.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 02-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

[Can't we just, umm, ship them all off to internment camps? It was jacked up to do that to the Japanese-Americans in WWII, but for the blood sucking ticks, I don't think anyone will be upset...except their families.

Maybe their family can come along. They will grow up the same way too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

On another note I'm sitting here watching the rain outside my window. Should I still go to Hollister? LOL Supposed to be raining off and on all weekend. Definately going to be a muddy mess. Might end up finding out how comfy those vinyl seats in the truck are to sleep on.

Ahh, trucks seats fer a bed. Sounds comfy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That's why I like my Burb. Fold down the middle seat and you have a nice little bed there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

So according to MD it wouldnt be to difficuly to rig some seats in the back of the truck under a shell. like you cant fastn a restraint system to the bed with some washers. piece of cack.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel