Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Anyone ever have one of those days where you finally figured something out? Maybe something was working, but it felt kinda kludged. Like there HAD to be a better way. Today was that for me. I finished up a computer for a friend yesterday. Wants to remote backup his businesses (well, his parents) computers remotely to his house. I pretty much go setup what I can at my house, just need to take it to his house to setup and finalize some things. So today I figured I'd spend some time on my computer.

Anyways...I FINALLY figured out an easier way to scan documents to keep them on the computer or convert to PDF. I had done it at work before using a script I found and kinda hacked (in this since hacking is programming) and cleaned it up. Found out the tool that I was always using to actually do the scans had a batch mode and could create different file formats on output. Uses a lot less resources this way. Before, it would use all the RAM in the server (256MB) on anything about 10 pages. I scanned a cell bill (22 pages) and my box (computer) barely took a few seconds (speed wise it's close to work, just 4x the RAM) to convert to PDF.

And to think I pulled the scanner off of the server because I wasn't happy with that script. Now it's all good and planning to dump my filebox into the computer and trashing the paper bills, etc. Poor little paper shredder....

Of course I also plan to scan the family photos at some point. This will make that MUCH easier.
we need a Homer simpson emoticon for me on this one! hey, where's Flanders?

oh, and P Eng is just a fancy way of saying ULTIMATE IN ****. they are the most detail oriented nit-picky perfectionists i've ever had the displeasure of coming across. and they think whatever they conclude is gospel and can't be challenged.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
oh, and P Eng is just a fancy way of saying ULTIMATE IN ****. they are the most detail oriented nit-picky perfectionists i've ever had the displeasure of coming across. and they think whatever they conclude is gospel and can't be challenged.
Oh come on, they need to put all that education, or should I say, money they spent on the education to use[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Of course, when their license is on the line and they are the one that will be sued "if" something goes wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I can see where being a little **** is allowed.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Quad Patrol

And to think I pulled the scanner off of the server because I wasn't happy with that script. Now it's all good and planning to dump my filebox into the computer and trashing the paper bills, etc. Poor little paper shredder....

Of course I also plan to scan the family photos at some point. This will make that MUCH easier.
Yea, but now you need to spend time scanning all that stuff into the computer.

If your family is like mine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] you don't take a lot of pictures when the tree is one big stump[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Actually, the wife has thousand of pictures sitting around that need to be scanned into the computer. I think one of the biggest scams I fell for[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] was when she said the new digital camera would replace the 'old' 35mm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Boy was I taken on that one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Still paying big bucks to get film developed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

we need a Homer simpson emoticon for me on this one! hey, where's Flanders?

Considering some of the plans we get here...I have to wonder on that statement being true for ALL of them. As far as gospel...hmm. I tried to convince my boss that CAT 5e/6 is SUPPOSED to be installed with a horizontal run and patch cables on each end. Nope. Wanted basically one long @ss patch cord. "Those extra connections don't need to be there." Umm...those extra connections are figured into the spec!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Yea, but now you need to spend time scanning all that stuff into the computer.
I don't have THAT much stuff that I'm going to actually scan. Probably nothing over a year old. I never look at the stuff anyways! Just doing this so if I'm ever asked by someone when I'm getting paid, I'll have an answer for them. Do computer work on the side for a few people. I'd like to get some more work with a few core clients doing small admin work. Like for small businesses where it's not practical for them to have an admin full-time.

If your family is like mine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] you don't take a lot of pictures when the tree is one big stump[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I've never done a family tree. I'm sure if I did I'd want to shred it. LOL. Family out here (mom's) isn't all that big. She was one of 4 siblings. Her dad was from Indiana (Ft. Wayne) and mom's family is all back in OK (OKC-area.) My dad's family is all pretty much in MO, about an hour south of KC. We've got a small box full of family photos, etc. Used to have a bag of slides my dad took when he was in the Navy. He had told me to toss it at one point, not sure if I ever did or not.

Actually, the wife has thousand of pictures sitting around that need to be scanned into the computer. I think one of the biggest scams I fell for[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] was when she said the new digital camera would replace the 'old' 35mm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Boy was I taken on that one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Still paying big bucks to get film developed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
I wish I still had my 35mm. Stolen when I went to a friend in Mantweaka [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Unless you drop some coin, digital can't really touch 35mm. The medium format (2" negative equal) cost as much as a car (last price I saw was about $28,000 for a Hasselblad (not sure on the spelling) digital back. I don't think anyone makes a digital back for large format (6" or so negative). Though I was suprised and very impressed with LJ's Digital Rebel. Those run about $1,000 for the body only. You can spend about $8,000 for a pro level D-SLR. Same camera in 35mm runs about $1,000.

You need a LOT of pixels to get good prints. Afterall, if it's not there on the file, it's not going to be there in the print. And if you print from in inkjet style printer, you're print will fade shortly if it's on display. For a good print you can output to a LightJet (normal to large formats), Fuji Frontier (up to 8x10...check your local Wal-Mart, etc...it's the digital mini-lab) and Kodak has their equivelent to a Frontier. Basically, it's a film scanner (usually a Nikon 4000) a computer (WinNT, XP) and a BIG RGB laser printer printing on standard color photo paper. Only set you back about $100,000. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And if you keep the photos you took around, you have to deal with managing that collection. Which, really isn't that hard. The nice thing is, once you buy a camera and storage medium, there's really no money involved in picture taking. You can print what you like. Though, be warned, most solid-state style memories (CF, MD, SD, MemoryStik, etc.) only get about 1000 writes before they will start to cr@p out on you. That's writes over the same spot. So you might at sometime down the road have to purchase replacement media. But it drops pretty decently.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: rescuediver

Oh come on, they need to put all that education, or should I say, money they spent on the education to use[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Of course, when their license is on the line and they are the one that will be sued "if" something goes wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I can see where being a little **** is allowed.
couldn't agree more when they're on the job, but i'm referring to every facet of their everyday lives. like giving someone an account of an event they witnessed, and on and on.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]

Considering some of the plans we get here...I have to wonder on that statement being true for ALL of them. As far as gospel...hmm. I tried to convince my boss that CAT 5e/6 is SUPPOSED to be installed with a horizontal run and patch cables on each end. Nope. Wanted basically one long @ss patch cord. "Those extra connections don't need to be there." Umm...those extra connections are figured into the spec!
so he was stubborn and wanted to argue his point of view, despite the fact he was wrong? that's what i meant by gospel.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

skinner, not gonna quote yer long post about pics and dig. media. we have both; good 35mmSLR Minolta, and Fuji dig camera. I use the SLR WAY more. as for piles of amassed photos=WIFE= Scrapbooking!! you wanna see your wife waste an all-time new level of $$, introduce her to scrapbooking. they buy all these fancy scissors and paper and then they spend 2 days to produce one page of a photo album, so the testosterone charged male responds, "That's it?!" . this is followed by a swift and severe shot to the groin. so now I rave about how wonderful it looks. but i could rifle pics into a photo album 1000X faster!! oooo-oooo-oooo, MORE POWER!!

Old 10-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Air Cooled Rider

skinner, not gonna quote yer long post about pics and dig. media. we have both; good 35mmSLR Minolta, and Fuji dig camera. I use the SLR WAY more. as for piles of amassed photos=WIFE= Scrapbooking!! you wanna see your wife waste an all-time new level of $$, introduce her to scrapbooking. they buy all these fancy scissors and paper and then they spend 2 days to produce one page of a photo album, so the testosterone charged male responds, "That's it?!" . this is followed by a swift and severe shot to the groin. so now I rave about how wonderful it looks. but i could rifle pics into a photo album 1000X faster!! oooo-oooo-oooo, MORE POWER!!
LMFAO. Yeah, I have a friend who's big into scrapbooking. The one I moved back in July. Had a flipping clear plastic tote FULL of cr@p. Yes women, I said CR@P!

I have a gallery I'm setting up on the server at the house. I can control access when I put it onto the Net so they can't see all the pics, unless I want them to. That's my next project is scanning all those photos. I'm both looking forward to it, and dreading it. Going to need to figure out how to save some of the early 80s color stuff. It's going to cr@p. They didn't fix them properly back then. I'm sure some are completely toast now though. With finding the batch options to the scan tool it's not looking so bad now.

ALL HAIL THE COMMAND LINE! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Air Cooled Rider

so he was stubborn and wanted to argue his point of view, despite the fact he was wrong? that's what i meant by gospel.
I just hate doing it like that. It really looks like you have NO idea WTF you're doing. They have a rack with the operator interface is. Drop in a patch panel. Make it look nice. The big reason is they are pulling double wires for everything. So they are going to have 12 CAT6 cables dangling around in there with ends on them. Tell me that doesn't look like ****! With a patch panel, even if you aren't using the cable, it still looks nice. Plus, they are easier to label. No fumbling through them to find the spare for Compressor #3.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel