Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ owner not impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ owner not impressed!

I met a guy at Hollister Hills OHVA this last weekend, and he had bought a YFZ-450 for one of his kids.

I asked him how he liked it, and he said, "I dunno" and shrugged his shoulders. I asked him why and he said, first he was the 4x4 utility quad kind of guy and didn't like the seat, said his knees were too high, and the bars too low. Now this was a big guy, guessing about 250 lbs 6 ft or better, so yeah, I could see that.... And he said it goes fast and has lots of power, but really sort of acted like he didn't like it....?

He let his buddy, who was riding a DR650 check it out, and when he came back from the track he said, Seats too low, bars too low and the whole thing was really squatty,( is that a word?). But it hauls A$$. Now this guy was a big guy too....

And I looked at it real hard, and I gotta tell you, I think it's a really low to the ground, smallish bike... If your a big guy, like me, I don't think your gonna like it..... Yeah OK it flies, so does a Raptor, DS 650, etc...

So what I think, is if your a big guy, the YFZ ain't for you, but it's all in the individuals taste, isn't it...?

And if Honda comes out with a 450 classs bike, that has better ergonomics, and the power too, it could be a better choice, if it's big enough for the big guys.... I'd really be interested to see Suzuki/Kawasaki, and Honda come out with 650-750 class quads, built for the fat boys..... That might be really interesting.....

Makes me glad I bought the Raptor instead of waiting for the YFZ 450, I wonder now about that rumored Honda, will it be a small bike?? The Suzuki z-400 has plenty of room and power, and I really, really like riding it, and now that I've seen the ergonomics on the YFZ appreciate the Z even more...

More later!

Old 08-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

My first experience on sitting on one was the same feeling,just weird and not comfortable,Dident feel like that after sitting on the raptor..Hope fully the ride will change my mind

Old 08-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

See I think Im the perfect size for one ... about 5'9/10 140 lbs. When I sat on one it felt awesome. Real low to ground and everything, felt just like my sister 250r except yes the seat is kinda had but thats just a minor fix

Old 08-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

seat?! who uses a seat. it's a sport machine...designed for people who race? what did this guy expect coming from a 4x4? anyways...250R's feel the same way to me. awesome on the track. but in the trails? no thank you.

it is, what it is.

Old 08-11-2003, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

If its anything liek a blaster i will not be getting one I'm 6'4" at 250 and only 16 lol. YFZ do look like there fun to ride but so are shee's hehehe

Old 08-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

I've said it to several people, anyone who buy's this bike to trail ride will be dissappointed, it's a race bike for a mx track or competetion, not for sport trail riding......That's my opinion.......

Old 08-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah my Warrior seems squatty, but it handles great too. Just wish it more power....

But sitting on the Warrior after sitting on a Raptor, no thanks.

And, oh yeah, real men do squat. ( cause our legs get tired.)

Old 08-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Same feelings here. Had the green light from my accountant (Mrs Rascal) and once I rode one around the parking lot I just went home to my glove-like fitting quadracer and a feeling of confusion (common for me). I don't race mx but I don't just cruise either, and like air, but the YFZ feels just weird. And Valerie said I look funny sitting on it. Maybe she means I look funny anyway, hell I dunno.

Old 08-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

STAKK- your totally right!

Old 08-12-2003, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

im about 6'2.270, when i rode my friends banshee i just loved how low it rode...im so used to my raptor going through trails when i rode the banshee since u are so slow it just feels alot better going up hills etc.

Quick Reply: YFZ owner not impressed!