Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

first utility quad

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first utility quad

hey all, I moved almost a year ago and the landscape has changed quite a bit...i went and sold my z400 because I ended up in an apartment and had no room...now it looks like im ready for another quad..but as dispite all the fun i had with my z i need a good ol 4x4 now...i just have no idea where to start

im looking definitly used maybe 4 or 5 thousand clicks on it....price range something around or under 4 grand canadian...

just need some different options so i can research them...or even a good CC to go with

generally quad will be used 10 months out of 12

everything from going up into trap lines in the bush (lots of mud and muskeg)

to going on the lakes for ice fishing we usually deal with a foot of snow on the ice bit more bit less in some area's....usually you cant go for a while till the sleds make a path but then your good to go....

tempatures range from -42 farenheit to 95 farenheit

i wouldnt dare run her in the extreme colds but anything about 0 farenehit and up i will run

sumed up fishing, hunting, the odd quad ralley here and there...used....under 4 grand....some what reliable/easy to work on

thanks!!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the manual tranny machines, so a Honda Rancher or Foreman would be my pick. Both these are dead solid reliable, but I say avoid the ES shifting option if you can!

The old Rancher 350 is a little underpowered (especially compared to the new fuel injected Rancher 420), but you should easily find one in your price range. Or, a Foreman 450 or better yet a 500 if you can find one.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

I'd recomend a newer 500 EFI Polaris Sportsman. Autos are very reliable, operator error is what burns belts! Avoid high torque situations in high range, use low range.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

He is talking Canadian Prices. $4000 does not get a 420 Rancher or Sportsman 500 efi. I just sold a 2000 450 Foreman E.S for $5000 and bought a 2001 Sportsman for $5500 Canadian. Even my very high milage 89 350 Bigbear sold for $2000!

I would think any 400cc Utility ATV would be fine for decent size and power. Not sure what you mean about <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>i wouldn't dare run her in the extreme colds but anything about 0 Fahrenheit and up i will run </end quote></div>

I run my ATVs in anytime of the winter up here in Northern Ontario. Only snow depth will dictate if you can go or not, not temperature.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forums dkitt10. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks!

I was just figuring running a quad in -40 isnt the best for it

Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

I like the manual tranny machines, so a Honda Rancher or Foreman would be my pick. Both these are dead solid reliable, but I say avoid the ES shifting option if you can!

The old Rancher 350 is a little underpowered (especially compared to the new fuel injected Rancher 420), but you should easily find one in your price range. Or, a Foreman 450 or better yet a 500 if you can find one.</end quote></div>

I can't see an ATV with 6 inches of ground clearance (Rancher) doing well in over a foot of snow and bottomless mud holes.
It sounds like you should be looking for maximum ground clearance and reliability. Also, if you'll be going through deep snow and muskeg, I'd look for something with good mud tires and a winch. Or set some money aside for them. I'd take a look at Arctic Cat if I were you.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

The old Rancher 350 is a little underpowered (especially compared to the new fuel injected Rancher 420), but you should easily find one in your price range. Or, a Foreman 450 or better yet a 500 if you can find one.</end quote></div>

I can't see an ATV with 6 inches of ground clearance (Rancher) doing well in over a foot of snow and bottomless mud holes.

It sounds like you should be looking for maximum ground clearance and reliability. Also, if you'll be going through deep snow and muskeg, I'd look for something with good mud tires and a winch. Or set some money aside for them. I'd take a look at Arctic Cat if I were you.</end quote></div>

I ride snow with big bor(ing) top of the line IRS machines, and they can't get any further up the trail in deep snow than I can on either the Rancher 350 or 420!!! But, utilities are all lame compared to sport quads anyway....but sometimes necessary as dkitt has pointed out.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

Would have never guessed that. LOL! Do you just cut and paste every one of your responses?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

i know several people put lift kits on their quads...though perhaps i shouldnt factor that in on this decision considering its a first quad