General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

I have used the search engine. Specific questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I have used the search engine. Specific questions.

Hey guys!

-Background: I come from a dirtbike past, so I'm not a total noob.
-I am recovering from a stroke I had almost 2 years ago.
-Had to stop riding as a result. I have balance issues.(sold everything)
-I feel I am far enough along to ride a quad.
-I miss riding sooooooo much!

Ok, I have the opportunity to own a quad and we have them narrowed down, but I am cluless when it comes to ATVs. I have some specific questions about the candidates.

I have it narrowed down to several that I really like. The most I have done is sit on them and researched them, but it has left me with some questions. So here goes.....

First: style of riding. We plan on mainly trail/play riding, but I would love the option to fly a small double/table now and again. Hills would have to be overcome, as some of our trails are in the mountains. I am not going to race MX at all, maybe a hare scramble wayyyyyy down the road. I am not looking to "PWN NOOBS" on the drag strip but I can handle power and don't want to be under powered...........

1. 2007 trx400ex. This is my front runner, as the motor is based off of the bullet proof XR. I have read that these bikes have a problem with cracking frames. Is this true? Is it a bad problem, or mainly due to abuse, like Jumping way too high and often?? Is it something that will not be much of a problem for trail type riding, and is the problem hyped?

2. 2007 trx450er. This quad really appeals to me. It feels soooo comfortable to stand up and sit on, and I know I won't be underpowered. Not to mention fully adjustable shocks. How reliable is this bike compared to the 400ex? Remember , I will not be "killing" it on an MX track. Reliability is very impotant to me. I have have read of valve clearance issues, or is this mainly on the crf450? Is it even the same engine? Is this a quad you would ride miles back into the trails and not worry about failure?

3. 2008 yfz450. Same issues as above. How does it compare to the trx450 as far as reliability is concerned.

These are all New old stock and are great deals! We're looking at a few more models, but these 3 seem to be the best for having a ton of fun. I miss the trails like you would miss a leg, and can't wait to get back out there! If you need any more info, please ask.

Thank you for your consideration and time.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

Glad to hear your doing better.

I think that they are all great quads. What brand of dirt bike did you ride, I would start there.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by BioWare
Welcome

Glad to hear your doing better.

I think that they are all great quads. What brand of dirt bike did you ride, I would start there.
Thanks for the quick reply, BioWare.

I rode a Kawi KDX220R 2 stroke. It was a trail monster, but didn't have the snap of the MX bikes. It was about as quick as a cr125 in the straights, but had the lugging and torque capabilities of larger 4 strokes.

That's why my first choice is the 400ex. capable and reliable. Do you know anything about the frame cracking? Or is that something I should just ignore?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

I'll chime in my 2 cents... Having a 400ex that was (previous life) a mx quad I do not see any frame issues, It was on the track for 4 years before I got it. It is a great quad super relible. On the other hand I just got an Arctic Cat with IRS and that is so smooth which would lead me to the 450 on my next purchase. Either way I think they would suit your needs. Would like to follow Bio though in welcoming you back to the dirt and trails. Great to hear stories such as yours and hope the best for you and your return to the trails.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by xcitmt
I'll chime in my 2 cents... Having a 400ex that was (previous life) a mx quad I do not see any frame issues, It was on the track for 4 years before I got it. It is a great quad super relible. On the other hand I just got an Arctic Cat with IRS and that is so smooth which would lead me to the 450 on my next purchase. Either way I think they would suit your needs. Would like to follow Bio though in welcoming you back to the dirt and trails. Great to hear stories such as yours and hope the best for you and your return to the trails.
Thanks, Xcitmt, and I really appreciate the welcome, guys!

I was leaning towards the 400ex not having a "real" problem with the frame cracking, but I am a research *****! I have been to the dealership 3 seperate times and have read a ton of stuff about these quads. I'm never really happy until I can talk with people who have real life experience with these, so thanks for the reply, Xcitmt.

You bring up another issue I had a question about: Independent rear suspension. They have several NOS 2008 trx700xx quads for $4099.00! I love the feel of this quad, it's very roomy and feels solid. I am worried that it just won't be as much fun as a single axle style quad. Can you slide the rear end out in a fast corner with IRS?? How would a quad of that weight handle some jumping??

Sorry about all the questions, but I like to be 100% confident with my decisions.
Thanks again!

Maybe I should post a question about the 450r in the Honda area?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

Welcome back to the dirt Stroked. Questions are what makes this forum good. I can't chime in on the 400ex or the 450 but I too have been doing research on the 700xx. I have a few posts on here asking guys about it and they have had some good tips and points. Also if you check out this web site Club700XX.com :: Your #1 Honda TRX700XX Online Resource! there is ALL kinds of info on them. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you get.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by voodoo574
Welcome back to the dirt Stroked. Questions are what makes this forum good. I can't chime in on the 400ex or the 450 but I too have been doing research on the 700xx. I have a few posts on here asking guys about it and they have had some good tips and points. Also if you check out this web site Club700XX.com :: Your #1 Honda TRX700XX Online Resource! there is ALL kinds of info on them. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you get.
Thanks, Voodoo!

That is an awesome link for 700xx info. Gives me an idea to search for quad specific forums. Don't know why I haven't done that before.

Thanks again, Man!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Range Rover

Glad to help.