Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can halogens handle bumps and vibrations? I had a halogen desk light that I could never keep a bulb in. Any little bump and poof! Plus that thing would scald anyone that dared get near it. It was bright though and I kept feeding it bulbs for a long time before finally chucking it in the trash.

I also have those halogen lights on tripods from sears. You know the ones... the super bright work lights. They make great hand warmers in the winter lol! But same problem... bump it too hard and poof!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
That's pretty sharp thinking!

I'm just worried about the ohms of the bulb. Too few ohms and it will draw lots of current. I assume any bulb will be 12volt rated unless its for a flashlight or something.
Well that can be calculated to with ohms law . Power (watts) = I^2 (current) Times R (ohms) so we can figure out ohms by doing Power divided by I^2, but if your using 12 volts and a bulb with the same wattage your resistance (ohms) should be the same. But if your in doubt i think just slapping a 3.5 amp max fuse in there ull be safe.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

Can halogens handle bumps and vibrations? I had a halogen desk light that I could never keep a bulb in. Any little bump and poof! Plus that thing would scald anyone that dared get near it. It was bright though and I kept feeding it bulbs for a long time before finally chucking it in the trash.

I also have those halogen lights on tripods from sears. You know the ones... the super bright work lights. They make great hand warmers in the winter lol! But same problem... bump it too hard and poof!
Well the h3 halogens are off road automotive bulbs so i hope they can handle the bumbs lol.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Steve230
Haha very nice what kinda truck you got.
4x4 ranger. Felt like I needed a ujoint from the way it was driving. So, I crawled under it and found all kinds of play in the axle. I figured I'd at least change the oil in it, so I pulled the cover off and before I knew what happened I had the differential out. Now its a big project!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
that might be neat to see. im thinking about using a similar set up to a 350 warrior since i have a rear shock off one, might as well got for the lights too, lol. right now i am still trying to remember how to rig up LEDs for lighting up the underside of the new Mistress. i already got the neon green LEDs just got to figure out what resistors i need. they will run on an independant circut probly a 9 -18 volt circut. completely rechargable.
I can help there i spent many uh days in my EET major rigging up led's. Just need to remember an led as 2 sides cathode and anode. The cathode should have a flat side on the led. The cathode has to at a lower volatage than the anode so basically connect the cathode (negative side) to your negative or ground. Led's run at 1.8 to 3.2 volts so make sure you have a resistor in there to soak up the xtra voltage our you will burn them things up.

When chosing resisters always use the double principal. Find out what your wattage needed to power the led's will be than double the wattage for the resistor

Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well that can be calculated to with ohms law . Power (watts) = I^2 (current) Times R (ohms) so we can figure out ohms by doing Power divided by I^2, but if your using 12 volts and a bulb with the same wattage your resistance (ohms) should be the same. But if your in doubt i think just slapping a 3.5 amp max fuse in there ull be safe.
We will see if the calculations prove accurate

Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Range Rover

4x4 ranger. Felt like I needed a ujoint from the way it was driving. So, I crawled under it and found all kinds of play in the axle. I figured I'd at least change the oil in it, so I pulled the cover off and before I knew what happened I had the differential out. Now its a big project!
I have an 01 1500 ram Ran like a clock till the week after the warrenty ran out and BAM the tranny is dead. its been down hill since there practically everything is knew on it except the motor and the frame lol!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I can help there i spent many uh days in my EET major rigging up led's. Just need to remember an led as 2 sides cathode and anode. The cathode should have a flat side on the led. The cathode has to at a lower volatage than the anode so basically connect the cathode (negative side) to your negative or ground. Led's run at 1.8 to 3.2 volts so make sure you have a resistor in there to soak up the xtra voltage our you will burn them things up.

When chosing resisters always use the double principal. Find out what your wattage needed to power the led's will be than double the wattage for the resistor
So the cathode to ground and the anode will be ok having a +v and then -v oscillation?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have an 01 1500 ram Ran like a clock till the week after the warrenty ran out and BAM the tranny is dead. its been down hill since there practically everything is knew on it except the motor and the frame lol!
Never had luck with dodge trannies. But on the plus side dodges dont rust very easy lol

Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

So the cathode to ground and the anode will be ok having a +v and then -v oscillation?
The exact defintion is "the cathode has to be at a lower potential in respects to the anode" So just put ur cathode to ground. and your anode to the positive (for dc). i don't know where oscillation comes into play. if your sticking them in ac power well it doesn't really matter which direction you got them in ur just gonna half wave rectify your ac.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.