Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robotic
Quick question- Should the steering shaft have a bend in it? Or should it be straight? Mine has a bend backwards just above the top mount. The parts drawings don't show a good view of the shaft.
no its suposed to be straight. the bend usually means a weak spot has developed and is close to breaking. if its bent above the steering block that bolts to the front of the frame its pretty close to the breaking point and it wont take much to crack it in half.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
no its suposed to be straight. the bend usually means a weak spot has developed and is close to breaking. if its bent above the steering block that bolts to the front of the frame its pretty close to the breaking point and it wont take much to crack it in half.
Sweet. Guess that's one more thing to weld up!
Thanks

Old 09-22-2011, 06:23 AM
Pro Rider

Just as an FYI to anyone else interested in doing a bigger light swap. That 75 watt stator I got from Ricky Stator fit perfect. In order to complete the Ac/Dc swap however, you have to float the ground while you have the stator cover off. You must cut off the ground wire from the wiring harness to the stator plate mount, and extend the wire to the other end of the stator winding (about 2 inches). You should have continuity between both lighting wires when you are done, and nothing from either wire to ground. Then you need a universal single phase regulator/rectifier. TrailTech offeres one with an overcharge protection circuit, but its more $$ then just getting a universal one off ebay. The two stator wires go to the two yellow leads on the rectifier, the black wire gets wired directly to the ground on your lights, the red is the hot wire. You need either a battery or capacitor as well, since the stator won't have the power to keep the light steady at idle, it will strobe. I just used a small 12v 2000mAh NiCad RC battery. Wire the black wire from this into your ground bundle, the red wire goes to your headlight switch, and ties into the red wires from both the regulator and battery (fuse the wire fromthe regulator to the battery/switch power. Thats all there is to it. I didnt have a floated ground the first time and I only had around 3 volts from the system. Now I get 12.4 at idle.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Haha! Thats crazy! Not diggin where the gas tank is, lol

Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

So I just put new brake pads on my quadsport because the other ones were down to the metal. I had to use a hydraulic press to push the piston in far enough to put the new pads on. Got everything on, bleed the brakes properly. I don't have tires on because I am getting thread restore kit (long story). So I was able to rotate the axle a little bit but its pretty tight on there. Is that normal? Do they just wear down over time? Thanks for the help!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by quadmechanic
So I just put new brake pads on my quadsport because the other ones were down to the metal. I had to use a hydraulic press to push the piston in far enough to put the new pads on. Got everything on, bleed the brakes properly. I don't have tires on because I am getting thread restore kit (long story). So I was able to rotate the axle a little bit but its pretty tight on there. Is that normal? Do they just wear down over time? Thanks for the help!
Should rotate freely, but drag just a little bit. Just like a car's disk brakes.
I usually use a C-clamp to push the piston in. If it took a lot of force you may need to strip and clean the caliper bore.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

Guys i have decided today that i want to run my 1988 lt230e in the Line Mountain Coal Bucket race in July,2012
website here: Toughest course in the US, 7 Miler, 3.5 Miler

I live like 5 minutes away from place and have been going as a spectator since i was a weee lad lol.
some crazy stuff! look at the youtube vids. search:
Line Mountain 7 miler
Line mountain 3.5 miler
Line mountain coal bucket

What i need before the race:
Kill switch
new airfilter
new exhaust
new front and rear brakes because they are really f********* up, caliper and all lol (who needs brakes anyway, i wana go fast! )
hand guards, for tree protection
new handgrips mine are original from 1988 hehe
fix my shifter, way to much play in it!

new tires???? maybe, mine currently would pass inspection up there but idk til then

Ideas:
Think of ideas for better skid plates, huge rocks up there :O

What i want to have on hand for race:
extra chain x1
lower ball join x1
quart of oil x2
10 gallons of gas

What im going to wear:
Helmet
New goggles
gloves
white tee shirt with a riding jersey over it
jeans
boot socks
boots

as you can tell im really excited hehehe

Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hunter71495
Guys i have decided today that i want to run my 1988 lt230e in the Line Mountain Coal Bucket race in July,2012
website here: Toughest course in the US, 7 Miler, 3.5 Miler

I live like 5 minutes away from place and have been going as a spectator since i was a weee lad lol.
some crazy stuff! look at the youtube vids. search:
Line Mountain 7 miler
Line mountain 3.5 miler
Line mountain coal bucket

What i need before the race:
Kill switch
new airfilter
new exhaust
new front and rear brakes because they are really f********************************* up, caliper and all lol (who needs brakes anyway, i wana go fast! )
hand guards, for tree protection
new handgrips mine are original from 1988 hehe
fix my shifter, way to much play in it!

new tires???? maybe, mine currently would pass inspection up there but idk til then

Ideas:
Think of ideas for better skid plates, huge rocks up there :O

What i want to have on hand for race:
extra chain x1
lower ball join x1
quart of oil x2
10 gallons of gas

What im going to wear:
Helmet
New goggles
gloves
white tee shirt with a riding jersey over it
jeans
boot socks
boots

as you can tell im really excited hehehe

man that looks fun! I live in new york so I just might have to join you one year! Looks like you got it all planned out, I would bring some simple tools just for any unexpected stuff. We def need a video though! Have fun!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Trailblazer

O heck yea dude, i was hoping to be able to get into the utility atc class. I know i will get spanked if i go into sport atv class because i will be against yfz450's, 700r's, and other such high powered atv's. Most people on utility's usually go slow and don't give it much *****, and i would WTFO < high five if you know what that means WIDE the fu**** out.

Maybe with my rear metal rack on and the automatic tranny i can convince em to let me

And yea i would bring some tools and other stuff. I'm not going to win but im either going to break my quad trying, because im going to give it my all.

The track will be difficult, you have no idea! its literally the hardest, tightest trail-race through the woods, in the state of pa maybe the east coast. will explain more later

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.