Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter71495
O heck yea dude, i was hoping to be able to get into the utility atc class. I know i will get spanked if i go into sport atv class because i will be against yfz450's, 700r's, and other such high powered atv's. Most people on utility's usually go slow and don't give it much *****, and i would WTFO < high five if you know what that means WIDE the fu**************** out.

Maybe with my rear metal rack on and the automatic tranny i can convince em to let me

And yea i would bring some tools and other stuff. I'm not going to win but im either going to break my quad trying, because im going to give it my all.

The track will be difficult, you have no idea! its literally the hardest, tightest trail-race through the woods, in the state of pa maybe the east coast. will explain more later
that all sounds amazing! have you ever practiced on that track before?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer

lol i stopped because i needed to leave for school haha

but i have not practiced on that track. Its basically a tiny trail that winds through the woods and modifided buggies, to stock buggies, to homemade creations to modified jeeps to rock crawlers, also they have a dirtbike/ atv race before the main race. At 9:30am they start the atv/dirtbike race and they do like 4 laps. Then at about 11am, most of the atv's/dirt-bike's are finished and they start the main race of about 120 of the vehicles above pretty much line up (this is for the 7 miler) because each has a number 1,2,3,4,5....120 and they let 1 of them off every 30 seconds. Some of the classes are 4cyl, 6cyl,8cyl and if the wheel base is over 102 inches they are in the LWB category. Usually about 30 break in the first lap no lie! and only about 40 finish the entire race! If you walk along the track literally every about 400 feet is a broke down racer. Just to show you guys what i mean about a trail through the woods, there is no guard rail anything between the spectators and the track. And yes before you ask they are very alcohol friendly! As is the only time they are sober is when they are racing, haha.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by hunter71495
lol i stopped because i needed to leave for school haha

but i have not practiced on that track. Its basically a tiny trail that winds through the woods and modifided buggies, to stock buggies, to homemade creations to modified jeeps to rock crawlers, also they have a dirtbike/ atv race before the main race. At 9:30am they start the atv/dirtbike race and they do like 4 laps. Then at about 11am, most of the atv's/dirt-bike's are finished and they start the main race of about 120 of the vehicles above pretty much line up (this is for the 7 miler) because each has a number 1,2,3,4,5....120 and they let 1 of them off every 30 seconds. Some of the classes are 4cyl, 6cyl,8cyl and if the wheel base is over 102 inches they are in the LWB category. Usually about 30 break in the first lap no lie! and only about 40 finish the entire race! If you walk along the track literally every about 400 feet is a broke down racer. Just to show you guys what i mean about a trail through the woods, there is no guard rail anything between the spectators and the track. And yes before you ask they are very alcohol friendly! As is the only time they are sober is when they are racing, haha.
That sounds like loads of fun! I wish I had a quad to enter into the race and I would do it!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by QuadKiddddd
That sounds like loads of fun! I wish I had a quad to enter into the race and I would do it!
heck yea dude! my mom though i was crazy when i told her im going to race the ole lt230e lol idc though WTFO!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

What i need before the race:
-where to buy-price??? Kill switch

-where to buy-price??? new airfilter

-where to buy-price??? new exhaust

-where to buy a kit to rebuild a brake caliper??? new front and rear brakes because they are really f********************************* up, caliper and all

hand guards, for tree protection/mud/branches
-not really sure... new handgrips
maybe, SCOTT DEUCE GRIPS | MotoSport

-found an idea on lt230 vault... fix my shifter
Tighten Your Shifter Linkage - Suzuki LT230S Vault

new tires???? maybe, mine currently would pass inspection up there but idk til then

Ideas:
Think of ideas for better skid plates, huge rocks up there :O

For skid plates i think im going to make my own in metal shop in school. i am thinking .120 gauge from aluminum
-remove plastic skid plate under engine
-triangular section( from front bumper to where the old plastic skid plate under engine was)
-how do i fasten the skid plate to the frame? im not to crazy about welding and tap-and-dieing would weaken the frame. maybe little exhaust clamps??? im not sure though because would rather have a flat surface instead of bolts here and there, especially if i get hung up on a rock, i would rather not rip every bolt off and loose my skid plate
-i would take im my skid plate that covers rear sprocket and brake disk:
its like lllll lllll < like this 4 inches on each side (2 separate skid plates) and straighten them out and weld a 3 struts across lllll==lllll, thus making it one skid plate and making them stronger: also reducing the possibility of a rock coming up between them and smashing my axle carrier

Price List Approx.:
kill switch- $50
air filter- $30
exhaust- maybe $200???
rear caliper rebuild kit/ front rebuild kit+ brake pads- $150???
Hand grips+grip glue- $20
shifter fix- $25
tires....-????? no idea if i even need them
skid plates-$20 tops- school's welder and plasma cutter

so my "total" would be around $495
-not including tires
-not including hand guards

Old 10-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

Ya got a huge list there, are ya in it to win it ? hows the compression ? clutch fibers ? shocks ?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

ehhhh, no way in he**** im going to win :/ but im going to give it my all!

tires are prolly gunna be a no but its still good to add them to the list anyway.

shocks seem fine, i can make do.
compression... no idea??? lol all i know is it used to be my moms and she rode it like a little girl and its in really good condition
and i have no clue what the clutch looks like, it rides normal and when i shift its not slipping so i feel its fine.

eather way most of the stuff on the list is stuff i have been wanting to get...

like grips would be nice, mine are pretty worn down.
same with my shifter, it is really loose. to upshift i need to move it like 2.5 inches up!
skid plates would be nice, because its just more protection and it is cheap.
the brakes i really need because... its brakes dude lol

you have to remember that this isn't just for one race for 3 hours, i play on my atv at least 4 days a week, every week! less in winter lol

Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

Hay anything can happen. I have seen allot of flukes in life. Or a good finish.

Keep us posted, I like the underdog and older atvs racing.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

lol i wish, i just want to finish

Old 10-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

The key to finishing the race, is not pushing the atv, beyond its limits or the rider.

Most do nto finish, because they typically try and go to fast and break parts on the atv or hurt themselves,. with going to fast over the jumps or what have ya not. Not that I would know specifically. Because I have never raced a atv. But my relatives race atvs. And we yack about it.

I hope someone gets some pics of you racing and ect. would be great to see.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.