Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sporty982000
The key to finishing the race, is not pushing the atv, beyond its limits or the rider.

Most do nto finish, because they typically try and go to fast and break parts on the atv or hurt themselves,. with going to fast over the jumps or what have ya not. Not that I would know specifically. Because I have never raced a atv. But my relatives race atvs. And we yack about it.

I hope someone gets some pics of you racing and ect. would be great to see.
yea its pretty much an endurance event, anyone have advice or info on those parts i need?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

I should have answered some of your questions. Sicne no one else has yet. I'll chime in once again.

Your skid plate your making, on how to mount it to the frame. You could drill a wholes into the frame. use sheet metal self tapper screws. Or use round adjustable clamps and either slot the sheet metal, so you can put the clamp right into it.

I do not know if you are going thru a bunch of mud or water, But that is grease and sprays for preventing water and ect getting into your electrical contacts or coil or spark plug wire / connection.

Aside from a new oil filter, and air filter, you mentioned. Id just get the standard stuff, as long as your air box is sealed, it should not get to wet or dirty, unless you are going in some super deep water or ect.

Just lubing / greasing all the suspension parts, double check all the bolts are tight.

I naturally would run a little less air in the tires, over trail riding. and adjsut the suspension. set up for racing is a tad different than trail riding. You want a little more give in the shocks. But with the shocks being older, not sure how well they work at a lesser rating.

id say yes to the brush guards and where gloves. which you already spoke about.

As for new hand grips. My biggest fear there is they slip on ya while riding. So make sure ya get them on right and the glue so they do not slip on ya.

Id make sure the seat latch and rubber under the seat is all there and working good. all those bumps and ect, hate to see a seat come loose on ya.

Check all your vent hoses and make sure they are not clogged and dial in the breaks, adjustment so they are top notch.

Allot of those parts, you mentioned, unless you need them, I would not worry about them.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by sporty982000
I should have answered some of your questions. Sicne no one else has yet. I'll chime in once again.

Your skid plate your making, on how to mount it to the frame. You could drill a wholes into the frame. use sheet metal self tapper screws. Or use round adjustable clamps and either slot the sheet metal, so you can put the clamp right into it.

I do not know if you are going thru a bunch of mud or water, But that is grease and sprays for preventing water and ect getting into your electrical contacts or coil or spark plug wire / connection.

Aside from a new oil filter, and air filter, you mentioned. Id just get the standard stuff, as long as your air box is sealed, it should not get to wet or dirty, unless you are going in some super deep water or ect.

Just lubing / greasing all the suspension parts, double check all the bolts are tight.

I naturally would run a little less air in the tires, over trail riding. and adjsut the suspension. set up for racing is a tad different than trail riding. You want a little more give in the shocks. But with the shocks being older, not sure how well they work at a lesser rating.

id say yes to the brush guards and where gloves. which you already spoke about.

As for new hand grips. My biggest fear there is they slip on ya while riding. So make sure ya get them on right and the glue so they do not slip on ya.

Id make sure the seat latch and rubber under the seat is all there and working good. all those bumps and ect, hate to see a seat come loose on ya.

Check all your vent hoses and make sure they are not clogged and dial in the breaks, adjustment so they are top notch.

Allot of those parts, you mentioned, unless you need them, I would not worry about them.
sheet metal= skid plates???
as for the self-tapping screws in frame it will weaken my frame

there will be quite a bit of mud, most can be avoided, only a little water
Since there will be little water im not going to worry about sealing air box.
Thats the plan with lube and making sure bolts are tight.
Also good plan on lower tire pressure for the rocks.
Im not going to mess with suspension because im happy with were it is, and also im not going to be jumping so it will be fine.
I will be fine with the grips, i will make sure i glue them well
Seat latch is good and tight fit.
And yes to the dialed in brakes, im sick of riding on shi* brakes.

As for the kill switch i would have to say, i don't want to put one on but, i think it is required. I hope i can get away with the one that came stock on my lt230e. I will ask the owners of the race.

As i said before, my air filter im thinking a FOAM one.

Exhaust's are expensive but they add some power and give me a little more top-end.

brakes are necessary, same with fixing shifter

im only going to buy tires if the tread on mine get too low from riding from now until then, because i ride alot, daily so it might be.

just my thinking

Old 10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

ugh put my quad tires up on the ramps and saw my right wheel lower ball joint was about to come out. I replaced it about 8 months ago... grrrr

so now i need a new lower ball joint and im going to talk to my shop teacher about my skid plates.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hunter71495
ugh put my quad tires up on the ramps and saw my right wheel lower ball joint was about to come out. I replaced it about 8 months ago... grrrr

so now i need a new lower ball joint and im going to talk to my shop teacher about my skid plates.
Goose luck with all the work and have fun at the event!

Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am needing a new exhaust for my lt if I put on a dg do I need to jet the carb at all or will it be ok on stock settings

Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Did you contact the mfg of the pipe, I would asume they would know, if you do or if it's jsut a stock replacement exhaust.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

i checked on my skid plates, for a 2x3' sheet of aluminum 1/8inch it will be $38+tax. dang...

also decided to put a little tool box on in space in front of the engine right behind the steering column. prolly put some tools in it dementions will be 4in high, 6 inches wide and 10inches long.

list of stuff to put in it:
para-cord
wire
pliers
spark plugs x4
few wrenches
3/8 drive
3/8 extension
1/4 drive
1/4 extension
bunch of 3/8 and 1/4 sockets
knife
duck tape
zip ties
electrical tape
master link for chain
vice grips

Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

not yet that was going to be my next question I was looking at getting a dg but any seggestions on a replacement for it thats not real expensive

Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 230fan
not yet that was going to be my next question I was looking at getting a dg but any seggestions on a replacement for it thats not real expensive
Get the full Cobra Exhaust System for your 230, it works wonders. I'm not completely sure if you need to get it rejetted, but I did mine just to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.